Headphones ?

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree Danny there are certainly advantages to using headphones, and it’s always very intimate and close to the recording. The level of detail is another thing I find staggering sometimes with headphone listening, but when there’s a speaker and usually a very good one at that (with good headphones) right next to your lughole it often gives you a totally different insight into the music and performance. Of course, finding good headphones that suit your needs is the key (y)
Bang on

Reactions: JamieMcC and deggie

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another rabbit hole. A few years ago I had no headphones at all. I got a pair of AKGs as a 'gift' when I replaced my phone and they're actually way better than I expected. Somehow I also seem to have subsequently bought Grado SR125s and Beyer DT990s as well. I'm now seriously looking at some of the others in this thread.

I don't even listen much through phones, but now I'll have to build a decent headphone amp. Stupid. Bloody. Hobby :ROFLMAO:

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another rabbit hole. A few years ago I had no headphones at all. I got a pair of AKGs as a 'gift' when I replaced my phone and they're actually way better than I expected. Somehow I also seem to have subsequently bought Grado SR125s and Beyer DT990s as well. I'm now seriously looking at some of the others in this thread.

I don't even listen much through phones, but now I'll have to build a decent headphone amp. Stupid. Bloody. Hooby :ROFLMAO:

Sorry Rich it was a pre-emptive strike by me to negate the costs of soundproofing a room ,which of course I will still do but now get into headphones as well . Who am I kidding :)

• Haha
Reactions: Cambs12 and rabski

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've quite a few pairs of headphones of varying levels and cost. But I rarely use them, compared to the rig. But for nighttime or intimate listening they are fantastic. I had a pair of Senn IE800S in-ears until fairly recently (the flagship pre IE900 upgrade, current model) and they were like inserting a nightclub into your brain. Just nuts good. I paid about £450 for those and fed them a headphone DAC and they were not far off my system which I've carefully bought used and is a smidge over £10k or so, but good in a different way. It's crazy the comparative sound-per-pound value for a decent set of headphones.

Good headphones can be utterly excellent. Agreed with the above comment though, it can be a rabbit hole.

The most ridiculously good value pair I own are a set of AT MSR7 over ears, which are 90% as good as the best cans I've personally heard, trounced a set of Oppo planars on a side-by-side (imo), and I use regularly. They're not as good as my Focals for pure SQ, but as you can pick up a decent pair second hand for sub £50, they are ludicrous vfm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cambs12

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've quite a few pairs of headphones of varying levels and cost. But I rarely use them, compared to the rig. But for nighttime or intimate listening they are fantastic. I had a pair of Senn IE800S in-ears until fairly recently (the flagship pre IE900 upgrade, current model) and they were like inserting a nightclub into your brain. Just nuts good. I paid about £450 for those and fed them a headphone DAC and they were not far off my system which I've carefully bought and is a smidge over £10k, but good in a different way. It's crazy the comparative sound-per-pound value for a decent set of headphones.

Good headphones can be utterly excellent. Agreed with the above comment though, it can be a rabbit hole.

The most ridiculously good value pair I own are a set of AT MSR7 over ears, which are 90% as good as the best cans I've personally heard, trounced a set of Oppo planars, and I use regularly. They're not as good as my Focals for pure SQ, but as you can pick up a decent pair second hand for sub £50, they are ludicrous vfm.

You see this is the well informed post that you hope calms the situation but others are taking notes and the smashing of piggy banks occurs followed by at some point you will pay back the children's allowance to the kids when they really need it. Right :whistle:

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ridiculously good value pair I own are a set of AT MSR7
Those are incredible cans, HD800 levels of detail at a fraction of the cost. It's just their sound grated on me no matter what I did with them. Music enjoyment has to be near the top for me these days no matter how amazing equipment is or can do. Those are more or less a closed headphone as well I generally find open better these days. I thought opens ones had no bass but that's until you find ones that do it right.

Reactions: Amormusic

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You see this is the well informed post that you hope calms the situation but others are taking notes and the smashing of piggy banks occurs followed by at some point you will pay back the children's allowance to the kids when they really need it. Right :whistle:
349057769_1344877836370067_6564043331436012789_n.jpg

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I don't even listen much through phones, but now I'll have to build a decent headphone amp. Stupid. Bloody. Hobby :ROFLMAO:
Rabski, save yourself some time effort and energy and a whole lot of money and buy a little bear..portable valve headphone amp, which your phone plugs into and the 990 sound mega with. About £80 on the bay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28396613...NqhEBgI1SmdWCOcWjvnJIm/5Yg==|tkp:BFBMsPa_8Ypi

meant to say its also dual mono and balanced.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's true.
I followed Graham's advice on this and it's a match made in heaven.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's true.
I followed Graham's advice on this and it's a match made in heaven.
Which version 990s are you fellas talking about out of interest?

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds interesting and is pretty cheap. I currently use a Dragonfly Cobalt headphone DAC which is great.

Have you heard one and if so how does this compare?

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I havent heard one of the dragonfly, but its just those 250 ohm dt 990 pro matched with the valve amp mentioned above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles