Linn Owners

Headphones with Majik DSM/2 - internal amp vs. DAC amp vs. analogue amp

antaron

New Wammer
Dec 20, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,
for many years I'm Linn owner. My setup is Majik DSM/2 with Akudorik Exakt on Dorik Stands with Katalyst. I also own a LP12 which is between Akudorik and Klimax level.
Now, for the first time I bought myself good headphones (T+A Solitaire T) that are not just Bluetooth, but are also excellent in passive mode. Now I'm thinking about proper amplification. Advantage is that the Majik DSM comes with headphone out on the front, which I can use.
But I guess external amps can do much better, especially considering the quality of the T+A. Now I ask myself what would be better:
- external DAC amp, driven through SPDIF-out by the DSM
- external analogue amp, driven through RCA-out of the DSM
I want to invest something below 1000 Euros - more likely around 500-600 Euros. Candidates could be Topping A90D or Lehmann-audio Drachenfels, or on the DAC end Chord Mojo 2 or Ifi Gryphon.
The question really is, how good is the Majik DSM/2 internal DAC in comparison to a 500 Euro DAC amp? Would it be better to invest the same 500-600€ into a proper analogue amp like the Topping A90D, because the Majik DSM RCA output is good enough?

Any experiences or advices? Thanks, Maik.

Last edited:

Matteo

Matteo
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Milano, Italia
AKA
Matteo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,
for many years I'm Linn owner. My setup is Majik DSM/2 with Akudorik Exakt on Dorik Stands with Katalyst. I also own a LP12 which is between Akudorik and Klimax level.
Now, for the first time I bought myself good headphones (T+A Solitaire T) that are not just Bluetooth, but are also excellent in passive mode. Now I'm thinking about proper amplification. Advantage is that the Majik DSM comes with headphone out on the front, which I can use.
But I guess external amps can do much better, especially considering the quality of the T+A. Now I ask myself what would be better:
- external DAC amp, driven through SPDIF-out by the DSM
- external analogue amp, driven through RCA-out of the DSM
I want to invest something below 1000 Euros - more likely around 500-600 Euros. Candidates could be Topping A90D or Lehmann-audio Drachenfels, or on the DAC end Chord Mojo 2 or Ifi Gryphon.
The question really is, how good is the Majik DSM/2 internal DAC in comparison to a 500 Euro DAC amp? Would it be better to invest the same 500-600€ into a proper analogue amp like the Topping A90D, because the Majik DSM RCA output is good enough?

Any experiences or advices? Thanks, Maik.
I do not know about the Majik dsm, but the headphones out of my ADSM/3 is simply astonishing

brian.davidson.5817

Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
East Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I noticed a big difference over the DSM/2 head amp when I bought two modestly priced headphone amps - a little Dot Mk 11 valve amp and a Massdrop thx 789. Both were bought 2nd hand (under £200 each) and a significant improvement over the DSM amp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles