Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spot on.

Personally I wouldn't listen to Sennheisers or Focals!
I did try some Sennheiser Momentums but could not get on with them. I would like to try some decent headphones but opinions are so mixed. The Focals are not cheap at around £1,000.

The soundstage is one issue for me. I prefer speaker soundstage not inside my head.

Last edited:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did try some Sennheiser Momentums but could not get on with them. I would like to try some decent headphones but opinions are so mixed. The Focals are not cheap at around £1,000.

The soundstage is one issue for me. I prefer speaker soundstage not inside my head.
Personal preference varies hugely, you just have to try them for yourself, sadly.

For a big open soundstage, Philips X2HR are well worth a listen imo. Not expensive, either.
There was a pair in the classifieds from @bullinachinashop , I think.

....edit. Here they are
Thread 'Philips Fidelio X2HR open back headphones' https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/philips-fidelio-x2hr-open-back-headphones.123401/

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I like the HD650s but found the Momentums unlistenable. I think they were tuned to compete with Beats as the bass was flabby and excessive.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personal preference varies hugely, you just have to try them for yourself, sadly.

For a big open soundstage, Philips X2HR are well worth a listen imo. Not expensive, either.
There was a pair in the classifieds from @bullinachinashop , I think.

....edit. Here they are
Thread 'Philips Fidelio X2HR open back headphones' https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/philips-fidelio-x2hr-open-back-headphones.123401/
Thanks but would rather buy new off Amazon, then I could return them, if not suitable. I have a pair of ATK open backs already.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the HD650s but found the Momentums unlistenable. I think they were tuned to compete with Beats as the bass was flabby and excessive.
Yes I agree about the bass. I found them claustrophobic as well, not used to closed backs. But the reviews were good. WHF award winner.

Reactions: Lawrence001

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I agree about the bass. I found them claustrophobic as well, not used to closed backs. But the reviews were good. WHF award winner.
Yes WHF seem to like bright hifi and bassy headphones. Although they also rated Grados which confused me. Maybe they just like bassy headphones for on the go, or their portable reviewers are different people from the hifi.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes WHF seem to like bright hifi and bassy headphones. Although they also rated Grados which confused me. Maybe they just like bassy headphones for on the go, or their portable reviewers are different people from the hifi.

A good place to find feedback and comparisons for pretty much any headphone is headfi

Reactions: Lawrence001

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
...bought some Sennheiser HD 560S at a bargain price....
I've got no doubt that, based on price, they'd be regarded by many as being too cheap to be any good.

But I've tried several brands and models and highly rate the 560S - often find myself just listening to the music - rather than any characteristic of the headphones.

I had a theory that the model might have turned out better than even Sennheiser themselves expected.
Some owners of originals have reported that more recent versions have sounded inferior - with some even suggesting a deliberate downgrade (which seems most unlikely).
...now wondering what quality I could achieve by upping the budget for better headphones/DAC & amp in future
I use mine variously straight out of a laptop and via different £100 DACs and Topping A50S amp.

Recently borrowed a Topping A90D
(as well as Senn 650 and 800S) from a friend to do some tests.
Actually preferred the sound of the 560S to both the 650 and 800S - and the 560S really did 'scale up' (as they say) with the better headphone amp.
Tested balanced (I fitted a Pentaconn plug on the 3m original cable, which is actually 4 core - where 3 core was all they needed to use to the TRS amp-end plug).

So you might not necessarily need to spend out for 'better' headphones.
(Once saw the 560S for £113....personally can't think of a bigger audio bargain than that).

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: stevoknevo

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder how much of it is psychological? I know that I feel just slightly ill at ease when I'm acoustically isolated from my surroundings, and the lack of background 'information' makes it hard for me to completely relax.
Me too. I'm completely dependent on ambient sound, and I often prefer silence.

I also don't like wearing cans, and only use them for recording.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Me too. I'm completely dependent on ambient sound, and I often prefer silence.

I also don't like wearing cans, and only use them for recording.
I don’t mind if I’m sitting but when I commuted by train I had to take the cans off as soon as the train stopped. I don’t like walking around and being isolated.

Cheers BB

Tamed Shrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used headphones a lot when commuting and in the office (Beyerdynamic / Grado) but when I started WFH I immediately switched to hifi. It's not that I don't like listening to headphones any more but I find them uncomfortable with glasses. Headphones pretty much restricted to listening to if I have a quite moment on holiday.

In the evening/weekends I find the hifi much more social as my wife and I have a large cross over in music taste.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Or like what pays the most, maybe!
True. When they bump a 5* rating down to 4* and say "there's a new kid on the block" (which coincidentally has just had a heavy marketing campaign) is that code for "you need to spend a lot more pushing your item if you want your 5* rating back - but it would be too obvious unless you make a slight tweak and add an 'i' suffix to the name so we can say it's the best again"?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t mind if I’m sitting but when I commuted by train I had to take the cans off as soon as the train stopped. I don’t like walking around and being isolated.

Cheers BB
Me too but I think that's natural, you feel safe sat on the train but you need to know what's going on when you're walking around.

Reactions: Brown Bottle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles