Jun 3, 2020
Lincoln UK
AKA
Lloyd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Headphone amp shootout!

20231231_092753.jpg

My old favourite, the SMS sAp II vs my new Topping L30ii.

Compared using my Monolith M1570 hp.

No warm sounds to comfort and coddle you here, just direct honesty, I think.

Remarkably similar sounding and close, the Topping having, say, 10% better clarity and focus.
But listened to in isolation I think either would be great and significantly better than any other headphone amp I've tried.

The sAp II is powerful, surprisingly so for its diminutive size. The L30ii is very powerful, and so handy should any seriously difficult headphones turn up.
State of the art measurements for the L30ii on a certain measurement oriented forum. ;)

Off to Tesco now, but I'll be trying them both with other headphones later.
I'm quite intrigued by what the ultra precision of the L30ii will do to my AQ Nighthawks....
Looking forward to reading your thoughts with the Nighthawks

Reactions: JANDL100

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking forward to reading your thoughts with the Nighthawks
Here they are, nearly ready for a listening session.

20231231_122002.jpg
An amazingly nice looking headphone imo. 👌
Very light and comfortable, too.

My goodness, they sound good with the Topping L30ii.
I've definitely never heard them sound this good before.
I was sufficiently disenamoured with them previously that I put them up for sale. Feeling grateful now that no-one had the sense to buy them!

My previous impressions of them had been of a very tonally coloured presentation with a big dollop of admittedly attractive cosy, thick textured, honeyed warmth.
That seems to have been substantially stripped away by the grippy precise neutrality of the L30ii.

Playing them straight, without any eq.
I know I would have found them unlistenable this way before.
There's still a tonal richness, almost a plumminess, to the sound. A bit extra in the fruity part of the midrange and a bit rolled off at the top. It's subtle and attractive now, rather than swamping the music.

This is fun. :)

Last edited:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now using the Nighthawks with the SMSL sAp II and I find a 4db rise at the top end beneficial.

That's odd as I don't actually hear the Topping L30ii as tonally brighter.
I suspect the greater clarity and definition of the Topping means the details come through more readily, so no need to boost the treble to hear them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles