Has Streaming made music lose it's allure?

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's an interesting opinion Pete but your way off the mark in my own experience. I have a more varied listening taste and an even more diverse music library since streaming the last 20yrs.
My focus is mainly about the music without any desire to own more collectable clutter. This imo becomes a curse as we age and managing a collection tends to suit a young mind.
Have owned vast record & Cd collections & when life dictated that they move on, they did. I have always loved playing around with hifi equipment but realise it is the vehicle to play music. It plays the music I like with a diff flavour when I change the equipment.
Its probably fair to say that I love music more than accumulating more stuff. Streaming for me is like being a head librarian of a huge library. When young I would order albums from the library & wait weeks to get them.
I also remember that my record collection was largely based on what was stocked at the time at the shops.
I use Google these days to learn about music/artists then play what I choose, saving what piques my interest. Cat that's got the cream. The stereo sounds good too.
* Everyone to their own. Enjoy whatever tickles your fancy. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mouldy Old Dough

aardvarkaudio

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 23, 2014
I'm close to going full circle back to buying music. I've subscribed to qobuz for 2 years and Tidal before that.

I find listening to the streaming platforms too transient, and frankly overwhelming in terms of the amount of content coming out each week. I play stuff for a few hours or days then forget what I was listening to.

Plus the longer you stay in, the harder it is to leave as all my favourite music since 2019ish isn't mine and if I leave it's lost.

I think my ideal solution would be to use Spotify free as a source of new music, like a radio station with adverts, and then buy things I like. I wouldn't go back to a CD player though, I've ripped it all to NAS and the room is so much neater and I don't have to get up to change discs 😊.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online