Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Serge, pleased you thought it was better on Sunday. A 6" movement of the speakers from the wall made all the difference - thanks in no small part to @Duvets advice on Saturday night.

It was a new experience for me having to set up in such a square room, a learning curve. But like you say that's what it's all about.

It was still a bit too bass weighted for my liking (home sounds rather light in comparison, but I know it's a much flatter response now), but it seemed to work pretty well all told. Next time it will be a different challenge entirely.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
forgotten the names of almost everyone I met over the weekend as I am famously rubbish with names and faces, so when we bump into eachother again, please don't take offence! I'm just terrible!
I'll help you out here - I'm the good looking one who asked you to play SoM, see not that hard is it?  :D

seriously, really great news that you guys will be back

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll help you out here - I'm the good looking one who asked you to play SoM, see not that hard is it?  :D

seriously, really great news that you guys will be back
I'm better looking than you AND I wear a cravat, so there!

I even brought my own CD with a Scalford playlist on it, AND the same on a USB stick.

Not many people can say that.

S

G

Thanks Serge, pleased you thought it was better on Sunday. A 6" movement of the speakers from the wall made all the difference - thanks in no small part to @Duvets advice on Saturday night.

It was a new experience for me having to set up in such a square room, a learning curve. But like you say that's what it's all about.

It was still a bit too bass weighted for my liking (home sounds rather light in comparison, but I know it's a much flatter response now), but it seemed to work pretty well all told. Next time it will be a different challenge entirely.... :)
Ah ta but like most wammers i hear better drunk than sober  :pint:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thick skin and too much sarcasm ;)

Working in engineering does that to you. xD  
Doesn't it just!  When I started in my first job, I was full of 'Hifi' stuff, having been an avid reader of Hifi mags. I soon got that knocked out if me by older, wiser, and actually very much kinder engineers who must have seen something in me worth taking trouble over.   

I have never forgotten the trouble they took to educate me.  A degree is a qualification, not an education.

S

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Doesn't it just!  When I started in my first job, I was full of 'Hifi' stuff, having been an avid reader of Hifi mags. I soon got that knocked out if me by older, wiser, and actually very much kinder engineers who must have seen something in me worth taking trouble over.   

I have never forgotten the trouble they took to educate me.  A degree is a qualification, not an education.

S
ain't that the truth sir, I learnt everything from my jobs - the expensive private school contributed 0.00000000000000001% to what I know, the skills that I have, and the man that I became - aside from one Physics teacher who was until his death a few years ago a complete school legend - all my exam technique came from him, plus some right laughs - including making the Head eat humble pie the next day after a stupid statement  . . .  A Level Physics team 1 - 0 PhD Chemist

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ain't that the truth sir, I learnt everything from my jobs - the expensive private school contributed 0.00000000000000001% to what I know, the skills that I have, and the man that I became - aside from one Physics teacher who was until his death a few years ago a complete school legend - all my exam technique came from him, plus some right laughs - including making the Head eat humble pie the next day after a stupid statement  . . .  A Level Physics team 1 - 0 PhD Chemist
Our headmaster was a legend. One day in assembly, in response to some minor playground bullying, solemnly announced that big boys shouldn't play with small boys' balls. 

Later,  in response to one of our music teachers (Mr Neil) who played the organ at assemblies and was looking for help, he asked if any boys wanted to play on Mr Neil's organ. 

Much loved and much missed.

S

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

S
Agreed wholeheartedly - a degree does teach you the skills to think, research and critically analyse information though (especially technical ones) - and I find those skills invaluable, far more so than any of the actual course content. I'd already got a good practical grounding in design and engineering when I did my degree. So much of what we covered in terms of content wasn't new to me - except a lot of the maths - but the critical thinking required to write good technical reports and research for them is worth it's weight in gold...

I got a good degree, and won a couple of national awards as a result - but none of that has honestly helped me in 'real life' terms. I still attribute my success to my grandfather (Royal Engineers - RADAR development) and father (time served apprentice) who both taught me more about engineering than university ever did.

• Upvote
Reactions: Maverick

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed wholeheartedly - a degree does teach you the skills to think, research and critically analyse information though (especially technical ones) - and I find those skills invaluable, far more so than any of the actual course content. I'd already got a good practical grounding in design and engineering when I did my degree. So much of what we covered in terms of content wasn't new to me - except a lot of the maths - but the critical thinking required to write good technical reports and research for them is worth it's weight in gold...

I got a good degree, and won a couple of national awards as a result - but none of that has honestly helped me in 'real life' terms. I still attribute my success to my grandfather (Royal Engineers - RADAR development) and father (time served apprentice) who both taught me more about engineering than university ever did.
One of my regrets, not that I can do anything about them, is that I'm about the first in my family to take up engineering. All my father's family going back generations were Army officers, my mother's family did 'ordinary' jobs, so no engineering background.  I'm rather pleased that my son is an engineer and daughter is a senior administrator, so involved in processes.  

Always thought of engineers as 'special' but then realised that ALL jobs are special in their own way.  Even the most menial in our society is important, not just  to the jobholder, for whom it matters financially and socially, but to all of us. What happens if the 'lowest' jobs go? We all suffer when something basic doesn't get done. So society doesn't always reward jobs according to their intrinsic value. Otherwise would  Footballers be paid so much.

S

• Upvote
Reactions: Maverick and Gizza

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I popped in to see you a couple of times. Im interested in the amp build. I was an avid reader of the Elliot Sound essays, especially the ones on PA systems and horns ( I run a horn multiway at home and demo'd it at Scally once).

Can you briefly tell me more about the amps. Did I see 2? So, monoblocks? Class A?

Jack NSM

G

I popped in to see you a couple of times. Im interested in the amp build. I was an avid reader of the Elliot Sound essays, especially the ones on PA systems and horns ( I run a horn multiway at home and demo'd it at Scally once).

Can you briefly tell me more about the amps. Did I see 2? So, monoblocks? Class A?

Jack NSM
There are a couple of threads in the DIY section detailing the amp builds.

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Jack NSM
They are both stereo amps - MOSFET based. I was running them vertically biamped at Scalford. as @ijrussell says there are build threads in the DIY section.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online