Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyway, as per another thread, we're hardly in any position to moan about buying costly stuff that may or may not be an improvement and then quote objective reasoning. I'd hazard a guess that everyone posting here has a DAC that cost a fair bit more than the £75 that is all that is necessary for 'perfect' reproduction.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use pure silver cables throughout and I only "think" I can hear a slight improvement over quality pro audio cables. Frankly I've always struggled to hear differences between interconnects and I have a pretty high end system.

I think I've spent around £500 on all the cables in my system which is very low. It also sounds exceptional so I highly doubt spending a lot more would offer any benefits.

Someone feel free to lend me a £1000+ high end cable to try and I'm happy to post my findings however 🙂
Spot on! I bought quite costly solid silver speaker cables a while back, then learnt that Jim Smith, the well-known system setter-up of customers' high end systems, recommended modestly priced Duelund cables of very ancient Western Electric (I believe) design. Skinny black-covered cables that can be positioned inconspicuously. The sound - nothing in it - both good ie they do nothing more and nothing less than carry an audio signal with nothing added and nothing taken away. I believe this brand is also often found in professional use.

I'd suggest that it's generally better to spend any cash that's burning a hole in your pocket on better equipment (particularly speakers) than crazy-priced cables. The cable that improves sound quality has not yet been invented - and never will be, so ideally, devise a system with no or very few cables. ;-)

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It always seems quite ironic that this sort of argument exists within a hobby that basically involves using and enjoying equipment and setups that the vast majority of people would consider pointless. We chase the smallest differences and improvements that often even those close to us cannot hear, or if they can, would not care about. We then criticise each other for doing exactly the same thing, but in some subdivision of the hobby that interests us less.
I'm with you there, but our (rightly) critical friends would probably be more impressed by fabulous speakers than monster-priced cables. And even they could hear the difference.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spot on! I bought quite costly solid silver speaker cables a while back, then learnt that Jim Smith, the well-known system setter-up of customers' high end systems, recommended modestly priced Duelund cables of very ancient Western Electric (I believe) design. Skinny black-covered cables that can be positioned inconspicuously. The sound - nothing in it - both good ie they do nothing more and nothing less than carry an audio signal with nothing added and nothing taken away. I believe this brand is also often found in professional use.

I'd suggest that it's generally better to spend any cash that's burning a hole in your pocket on better equipment (particularly speakers) than crazy-priced cables. The cable that improves sound quality has not yet been invented - and never will be, so ideally, devise a system with no or very few cables. ;-)
I use Duelund for speaker cables, interconnects, mains cables and speaker internal wiring, and I think they are excellent. However, they certainly have their own distinctive sound with excellent tone.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Duelund for speaker cables, interconnects, mains cables and speaker internal wiring, and I think they are excellent. However, they certainly have their own distinctive sound with excellent tone.
And this is the point. I tried Mogami star quad XLR and it had a very distinctive sound and in my case sounded like it was EQing the signal. We only have personal preference and as always it depends.

Reactions: rdale

montesquieu

Renaissance Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2021
Sandhurst, UK
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Enjoyed the review, didn't enjoy its transformation into a cable thread - like we really need another one of those. :rolleyes:

There have been no new arguments raised in a cable thread since some time around 2008, and yet some of us really stupid people keep buying 'expensive' cables (ie, costing more than a tenner from a pro audio warehouse). I mean how dumb is that?

However, in the spirt of 2008, I would ask those pro audio fans why they are wasting a tenner a time when by their own logic they should be using those skinny cables with moulded plugs you used to get free in the box?

Every house surely has a nest of them in a cupboard somewhere, along with 'might come in handy' power supplies for long-dead gadgets with obscure sizes of DC plugs, ancient printer cables with way too many pins, and kettle leads already cannibalised for their fuses? Or is that just me ... :unsure:

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And this is the point. I tried Mogami star quad XLR and it had a very distinctive sound and in my case sounded like it was EQing the signal. We only have personal preference and as always it depends.
I recently compared Mogami against Belden XLRs and preferred the Belden…

Reactions: quinn_t

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Light hearted retort...

You don't half use a lot of 'I remember' and 'I thought' for someone to complain about 'hearsay' :ROFLMAO:
Well, Iam not going to say otherwise. i used to have a near photographic memory, but time has marched on and confusion and error creep in.

But it's much the same... don't want to claim a definitive when there is not such certainty any more :)

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I feel I should just make the point that cable tech and cheap as chips to multi £ is all down to the persons individual ears and system to hear a difference. My little review was just my own thoughts on a quality product, regardless of cost, and just wanted to share that. And found out the proper retail price this morning... £500 (so I got what was to me a bargain).
Cables of ANY make, is always going to be a controversial subject, and a point of disagreement with people all over the world

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cables of ANY make, is always going to be a controversial subject, and a point of disagreement with people all over the world
I agree we each can and do have a view on the merits of cables.

I think there's a difference between having objective proof of differences as to quantify the scale of any difference, versus, claims of huge differences experienced in a subjective manner but expressed as if definitive.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree we each can and do have a view on the merits of cables.

I think there's a difference between having objective proof of differences as to quantify the scale of any difference, versus, claims of huge differences experienced in a subjective manner but expressed as if definitive.
Same goes for amplifiers, CD Players, DACs, turntables etc etc but some people like to pick on cables more than anything else.

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Same goes for amplifiers, CD Players, DACs, turntables etc etc but some people like to pick on cables more than anything else.
True, but I think people temper scale of differnces with other equipment and refer to it more in the sense of personal view rather than definitive phrasings. it may also be that there are certainly quantifiable differences that can be measured. Even then, with some DAC reviews, the measured differences now approach the scale of cable differences, so even that is getting quite questionable in terms of reports for night and day differnce hyperbole. It's likely claims of huge differences where science tends to suggest any differences are too small to be audible, that cause a lot of questioning. Generally with amps and speakers we are not at that point, while with cables we are, and with DACs we appear to be getting there.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most if not all represented on this forum have varying weak to strong views on a plethora of subjects, I for one extol the virtues of my amplifier made by Rogue to drive my OTA Quad 57's often quoting Peter Walker "They will do bass given the right amplifier" are there better amps for the task, probably the ASR Emitter.

At no point would I attempt to use either science or pseudo science or suggest I have better ears than others or that if I could not hear it someone else was right or wrong, golden or cloth eared.

My friend Len Greggory used me & others to appraise protentional products ie the "Isolator" I tried at least 10 incarnations I use one that was fitted to my "Musicmaster" that I also reported on.

Both these products were rubbished in some quarters often without hearing or using them. Interestingly when Len let his Isolator patent lapse several products have emerged with a similar goal.

I admit I have heard differences in speaker cables the Quads are almost a unique Load.
Trying to change Len's solid silver phono lead from my Hadcock pickup arm everything went flat.
Jimmy Hughes was ridiculed when he propounded the use of super tweeters I have used them since reading his article. I have written about the large number of clip on ferrites I use I have no ability or desire to measure & quantify the difference but the music background is quieter the TV picture clearer/cleaner as is my Wi-Fi to the PC & monitor I have an unusual RF problem in Ealing where they work for me, my son in Fleet not so much.

I find it difficult to believe that any one on this forum can not accept a different point of view or opinion and tend to force their opinion on others as for me you can take what I say or leave it, as I do with some things.

Despite not always agreeing with people who voice an alternative, I would defend their right to do so.

Last edited:

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes you have. Why do we keep on having cable debates? I envy those who can’t hear a difference between cables. As one of those I would have saved thousands. I guess the naysayers don’t need serious kit either? Another win. For those of us with ears, cables make a significant difference ( tho not as much difference as room acoustic treatment)

Reactions: DomT and Rayymondo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles