Linn Owners

Give the Pins a chance (plus how to use Pins)

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@quinn_t I like Spotify. In addition to what I consider a slightly better selection than Tidal, they have lots and lots of good podcasts. As for lossy format, I've done some blind testing against the same album versions on Tidal, and I haven't been able to tell the difference yet! (Against albums streamed from my QNAP, QNAP usually wins, but that is less of an apples to apples comparison. ) Spotify can't be too bad if Fredrick Lejonklou thinks it's better than other services...

Being Canadian I can't get Qobuz sadly, so I can't do that comparison.
Interesting. A while back, I loaded three versions of one song onto my queue. They were Qobuz 192/24, Tidal 44/16, and a ripped CD on my NAS. I played the song versions on continuous loop. I went about my yard work and would occasionally pop in to see if I could identify which version I was hearing. I couldn't.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting. A while back, I loaded three versions of one song onto my queue. They were Qobuz 192/24, Tidal 44/16, and a ripped CD on my NAS. I played the song versions on continuous loop. I went about my yard work and would occasionally pop in to see if I could identify which version I was hearing. I couldn't.
Have we discussed this before? I forget. I have this vague memory of Philip Hobbs at Linn doing a demo of this, but can’t remember the detail. He’d actually spliced three versions of the same track together using 24 bit, 16 bit and MP320. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

’troll

Reactions: akamatsu

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have mp3, FLAC and 24 bit WAV versions of John Cage’s 4’33”. I struggle to tell them apart.

Although I believe I could tell AAC and MP3 from FLAC on most recordings, I haven’t tested this for a long time. If I no longer can then I could store all my library in AAC on 2TB SSD in my Mac mini and my music room system would be much neater.

It’s only a matter of courage, but then again you can’t fool the children of the resolution.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have we discussed this before? I forget. I have this vague memory of Philip Hobbs at Linn doing a demo of this, but can’t remember the detail. He’d actually spliced three versions of the same track together using 24 bit, 16 bit and MP320. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

’troll
Yes we have. I mentioned my little test a while back. But this may have predated @wildwildWes . I do recall the Philip Hobbs experiment being posted here as well.

jarvis

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I pin genres with the randomise option turned on. By misusing the"compilation" tag and a MinimServer tag update file, I have been able to exclude certain tracks from being picked for random play. In my case it was DJ mixed albums that I really didn't want to hear in a random order:
My post on MinimServer forums

I only have a DS-i but I can pick up the IR remote and have some random tracks playing in a jiffy by holding down one of the digits 1-6

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@quinn_t I like Spotify. In addition to what I consider a slightly better selection than Tidal, they have lots and lots of good podcasts. As for lossy format, I've done some blind testing against the same album versions on Tidal, and I haven't been able to tell the difference yet! (Against albums streamed from my QNAP, QNAP usually wins, but that is less of an apples to apples comparison. ) Spotify can't be too bad if Fredrick Lejonklou thinks it's better than other services...

Being Canadian I can't get Qobuz sadly, so I can't do that comparison.
The good news is that Qobuz is now available in Canada

It has opened a door to substantial collections of 24 bit high rez music

Kenilworth

Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
I have two pins set to sources (turntable and oppo cd/dvd player), one set to a Qobuz playlist, and three set to internet radio stations.

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For those new to Qobuz you might find it difficult to source 24/192 music from the 100 million songs now on the site as the filters are not that great. This is the best tool I have found :

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/quality/HD-24-bit/download-streaming-albums?f[qu]=24_192_2&s=sf

39,000 albums to look into.
As a long time Qobuz subscriber (even before Qobuz became available in the US), I've found the SQ differences between 44.1/24, 96/24, and 196/24 are some sorts of hit and miss. Sometimes I think 44.1/24 sounds even better than 96/24 or 192/24 musically.

Reactions: akamatsu

wildwildWes

SciLinntologist
Wammer
Jul 24, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have two pins set to sources (turntable and oppo cd/dvd player), one set to a Qobuz playlist, and three set to internet radio stations.
I really really need to check out these internet radio stations. I never have! If anyone has handy a thread link that introduces this, I'd appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles