Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably the exception which makes the rule, but this chap has used diffusers before to reduce the effects of floor bounce cancellation, but he seems to have changed that to melamine acoustic foam now:

y8pg2Ws.jpg
that is going to help but not so easy for day to day living, also like the big mushrooms on the albert hall, roof space, diffusion and absorbing, both issues to do different things, its complicated, etc, just also sort of depends what your after , playing tunes, or worrying about every little thing in the sound, etc, i have a very poor on paper room set up but it play tunes, mostly ok, i get more vexed by crappy cd quality, mixing mastering etc, , i have a rather small, single back bedroom space, picture in hear some where with a set of large old sony speakers, the speakers are sized liek small fridges, about 14 inched wide 2 feet tall, and maybe 10 inches oe maybe 12 inches deep, ugly brown wrap as well, big and ugly, .

Reactions: tuga

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He's been using panels on the floor for over 15 years.

And it improves the sound more than any cable, support or fancy network device by a tremendous margin.
Be that as it may - It is also likely that the vast majority of folks listening to music on a HiFi in a domestic environment would find that 'solution' unacceptable - IMHO of course

Reactions: Jules_S and tuga

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Floor-bounce cancellation has a serious impact on frequency response.
The plots below show the effects of raising an ESL63 in the 200-400Hz range (usually referred to as 'warmth' or 'fundamentals' range):

aIDyLRS.jpg

Speakers with woofer arrays (2 or more woofers) have the advantage of reducing the effects of floor-bounce cancellation.

Reactions: rocky raccoon

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Be that as it may - It is also likely that the vast majority of folks listening to music on a HiFi in a domestic environment would find that 'solution' unacceptable - IMHO of course
I agree. Could be a professional bias but I find most acoustic panels unacceptable.

Reactions: Wenge1

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to everyone who has replied, it's interesting and appreciated.

The reality for me is that I don't have the knowledge or any equipment, to go down the road of measuring sound frequency in my lounge. Secondly I am very limited as to where I could actually put any treatment in the room whatever the outcome of measurements. Certainly not on the ceiling if that was what was required. The two places I have referred to are the only ones I can use. I am married and wish to remain that way.
Cheers Ady

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve never heard of anyone putting diffusers on the floor - how would that work? Some people put diffusers at first reflection points, but it is more common to put absorbers there. I use GIK absorber panels with what they call ‘scatter plates’ that do some diffusion, and work well on the side walls at the first reflection points.
It was more a theoretical point. If you have carpets it's unlikely to be an issue and if you have hard floors, I guess most people use a rug.

Although not everyone I see!!

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to everyone who has replied, it's interesting and appreciated.

The reality for me is that I don't have the knowledge or any equipment, to go down the road of measuring sound frequency in my lounge. Secondly I am very limited as to where I could actually put any treatment in the room whatever the outcome of measurements. Certainly not on the ceiling if that was what was required. The two places I have referred to are the only ones I can use. I am married and wish to remain that way.
Cheers Ady
Ady, I happen to think from the photos that you have a pretty good room from a treatment point of view. Plenty of absorption (soft furnishings) and plenty of diffusion (nice big pictures on the walls and those light shades look excellent).

This may be why you mention in your original post that you don't think you actually have any acoustic issues in the room!

Enjoy the music 👍

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ady, I happen to think from the photos that you have a pretty good room from a treatment point of view. Plenty of absorption (soft furnishings) and plenty of diffusion (nice big pictures on the walls and those light shades look excellent).

This may be why you mention in your original post that you don't think you actually have any acoustic issues in the room!

Enjoy the music 👍
Yes indeed 👍 maybe I should just spend £350.0 on vinyl 😀

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

And this is the thing. If you are not prepared to compromise your domestic environment in favour of your listening pleasure, either by getting the speakers out away from the walls, or by using acoustic panels, or both, then you condemn yourself to box-swapping and dissatisfaction.

How many threads have I read that say 'I want this but I can't do that'.

Ths is a hi fi forum and unfortunately, the room is 95 percent of the battle.
Of course, panels on the floor is pretty radical - I would suggest rugs and panels on the ceiling would be easier - but if you're going all-out - and you can live with it, and you find that it does things to the sound you like, then I would entertain the idea ! But my listening room is not my living room and I can do as I like. I am very lucky.
Plus I like the idea of zero compromise. More power to that man.

Last edited:

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of the reasons why I currently have the speakers I have, is that both the Cornwalls and the Odeon Rigoletto's work very well, close to walls.
Cheers Ady

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles