Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Every big Tannoy I have ever heard, whether old or new, and right up to the Westminster Royals, have sounded hard, shouty and, frankly, unpleasant across the midrange. I actually found the Westminster Royals just sounded like a giant transistor radio, with no presence, depth or dynamics.

Equally, I remember when working at Goodmans (and we were part of TGI plc) Tannoy gifted us a pair of Dimension TD12s to use as references in our listening room. We engineers warmed them up for a day or two then sat down to listen. I think we gave them about half an hour and then boxed them back up as we all hated them!

The Fynes sounded to me like properly developed loudspeakers. They had a gloriously open midrange and sounded smooth and detailed across the frequency range. Not surprising really as Fyne has done a hell of a lot of work on the design of the drivers - they are not just re-hashed Tannoy DCs.
one reason i like the tannoy legacy is the smooth non fatiguing sound that you can listen to for hours upon hours . i guess we are all different . they are most certainly not hard and shouty !!

Reactions: DomT

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm with Adam, I can't stand Tannoys.
Interesting comments about the Fyne speakers not sharing their (to me) glaring issues (pun intended) ..... it's the midrange grain that mostly does my head in.
I shall endeavour to get a Fyne demo sometime, just out of curiosity.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm with Adam, I can't stand Tannoys.
Interesting comments about the Fyne speakers not sharing their (to me) glaring issues (pun intended) ..... it's the midrange grain that mostly does my head in.
I shall endeavour to get a Fyne demo sometime, just out of curiosity.

You were one of the folks l had in mind Jerry.:D

• Haha
Reactions: JANDL100

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never really looked at Fyne before but there seems a quite large range with many looking very unlike Tannoy units . Which are the ones to listen to ? The classic are very similar to Tannoy heritage line so would expect these to be more likely to Tannoy but any info on what to hear would be useful .

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
some years back a well known hi fi dealer offered to lend me a big thrax integrated to try . he happened by chance to have the legacy eatons in the book . try them he said . I got a few wammers round and we compared them to shl5plus and they just blew the harbs away. universal love for them . big sound , engaging
when i had a new pair i had a visit from a friend who found them pretty dire but as they have been fully run in they are simply smooth .

this is helped by a very smooth analogue bel canto pre3 vbs pre amp . and some beautiful class A F5 monoblocks [ clone JH] . as isaac hayes would put it ... hot buttered soul . There is not even the inchy wincy bit of grain . just musical, liquid and engaging . Yes no doubt RFC can beat them with the new creations .

will look forward to hearing the fyne classic asap . maybe i will eat my words ... who knows !!

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the WAM.
Is the cosmetic appearance of a particular product a good reason to reject it when surely it is the audio performance that is more important? Just saying..........
I respect that that is your point of view, but definitely do not agree. I wouldn't hear the end of it from my girlfriend. Maybe you have a dedicated listening room?

Hifimad1

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2007
United Kingdom
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
one reason i like the tannoy legacy is the smooth non fatiguing sound that you can listen to for hours upon hours . i guess we are all different . they are most certainly not hard and shouty !!
I agree, I wonder if it was because they weren’t properly run in ? Tannoys need a lot of running in because of their stiff fabric surrounds .They also need partnering with a suitable sounding amp, due to the horn loaded tweeter and it’s very low crossover point, which can make the upper mids a little hollow sounding with the wrong amp.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
first part i agree with . second part no . however i dont think my legacys are horn loaded are they ? they sound good with almost anything . tried masses of amps now . Thrax enyo ., msb s200, F5 clones , sugden a21se, naim sn2 . they work amazingly with class D . probably the most unfussy speakers i have have had

Hifimad1

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2007
United Kingdom
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
first part i agree with . second part no . however i dont think my legacys are horn loaded are they ? they sound good with almost anything . tried masses of amps now . Thrax enyo ., msb s200, F5 clones , sugden a21se, naim sn2 . they work amazingly with class D . probably the most unfussy speakers i have have ha
The dual concentric drivers have a compression driver for the treble which sits at the end of a wave guided metal horn, the flared end of this is joined to the mid bass driver,also a shallow horn driven by a conventional magnet & spider arrangement.

Attachments

• 878A4869-1FDB-4F18-9765-0CB5E4AC6ADF.jpeg
    878A4869-1FDB-4F18-9765-0CB5E4AC6ADF.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: hifinutt

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Every big Tannoy I have ever heard, whether old or new, and right up to the Westminster Royals, have sounded hard, shouty and, frankly, unpleasant across the midrange. I actually found the Westminster Royals just sounded like a giant transistor radio, with no presence, depth or dynamics.

Equally, I remember when working at Goodmans (and we were part of TGI plc) Tannoy gifted us a pair of Dimension TD12s to use as references in our listening room. We engineers warmed them up for a day or two then sat down to listen. I think we gave them about half an hour and then boxed them back up as we all hated them!

The Fynes sounded to me like properly developed loudspeakers. They had a gloriously open midrange and sounded smooth and detailed across the frequency range. Not surprising really as Fyne has done a hell of a lot of work on the design of the drivers - they are not just re-hashed Tannoy DCs.
Adam, how about compared to the Tannoy DC10T and DC10A?

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a brief listen to some nice monitor audio gold 200 today .be good to hear some more of them

back home popped the amazing album illusions by Thomas bergersen today on the little Eatons
and my chair is shaking with the subterranean bass of this album . Not had too many standmount speakers that can do the same. Diablo utopia might come close which I had before but I don't think would equal for bass

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
might just be worth a trek to bristol show to see these

https://www.bristolshow.co.uk/news/?news_id=12598#.Y-zKeHbP1D8

Maxing out the retro-styled but high-tech Vintage Series, Fyne Audio will be using the Bristol Hi-Fi Show to launch brand-new models at either end of the range.

Small, cute and perfectly formed, the Vintage Five is a micro stand-mount loudspeaker developed around a 5in IsoFlare driver. Bristling with both 70s retro-stye yet packed with the latest audio design, engineering and materials technology inside, the Vintage 5 brings a touch of retro class to the small speaker market.

At completely the other end of the speaker scale spectrum, Fyne will be launching and demonstrating the masterpiece of the Vintage Series, the mighty Vintage Fifteen.

This prestigious £30,000 loudspeaker is the full embodiment of Dr Paul Mills’ uncompromising design approach. Featuring Fyne’s largest, most potent and most dynamic IsoFlare driver to date, this remarkable point source transducer system pushes the boundaries of audio engineering.

Employing a 380mm (15″) multi-fibre cone mid/bass driver with Fyne’s premium 75mm titanium dome, neodymium motor compression tweeter, and fed from Fyne’s highest specification and Deep Cryogenically Treated crossover, Vintage Fifteen delivers music with the precision and scale of a full orchestra. Built into a huge twin cavity, BassTrax ported birch ply cabinet wrapped in the finest walnut veneers with burr walnut inlays, machined metal components and the finest trim, Vintage Fifteen is the ultimate realisation of Dr Paul Mills’ exceptional vision to blend sumptuous timeless aesthetics with state-of-the-art engineering.

Assuming we can get a pair of the Vintage Fifteen beasts into a Marriott bedroom and still have room to breathe, the Vintage Fifteen will be on demonstration throughout the show.

Reactions: DomT and Tony_J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles