Linn Owners

Funny Linn Sara story

gofast

Wammer
Jan 17, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a pair of Sara's for years, but wanted stands. When I originally got them, one of the woofers in each speaker was dead, and I repaired them with the correct B200s found on eBay, and got them working.

I recently found some stands on an estate auction site, with Sara's on top. Bid on them, won them, and was not expecting much of the Saras, figuring they'd be dead too as the electronics from the estate sale were junk. The 'new' Sara's had homemade grills screwed on.

When I got them home, hooked them up to a Bryston 4B amp, and they worked but sounded muffled. Actually sounded good and distant with orchestral music, but wierd otherwise. So, I unscrewed the grills to see if the tweeters were even original. Turns out, they both had brown thin packing tape protecting the original tweeters (which were working), reducing the output! Maybe this was a 'mod'?

My local Linn dealer had never heard of such a mod, so I googled it, and found this story.
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?51963-LINN-Sara-speakers-a-true-story

Anyone else run into this tape over the tweeters?

Samir.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had new Saras back in the ‘80s, but thankfully the dealer (Unilet in Kensington) told me about the tape and I removed it as soon as I got them home.

Mick

gofast

Wammer
Jan 17, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now to figure out what to do with 2 pairs of Saras. Maybe run external equalizers, and run one pair as midrange and up (reducing the woofer load, should increase midrange clarity) and the second pair as LF? I have enough amps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles