Linn Owners

From 212’s to 242’s and amplification

Peacelord

Wammer
Oct 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I own a AEB-I (Katalyst) with Akurate 212 speakers. That’s in an Aktiv configuration obviously. Now I want to take the next step with the 242’s. What are my options since they have 6 channels instead of the four the AEB-I has. Could someone with more technical insight please assist me? That would be highly appreciated.

Reactions: Ray Vardy

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I own a AEB-I (Katalyst) with Akurate 212 speakers. That’s in an Aktiv configuration obviously. Now I want to take the next step with the 242’s. What are my options since they have 6 channels instead of the four the AEB-I has. Could someone with more technical insight please assist me? That would be highly appreciated.
They actually have 5 each, so 10 in all. You'll need an Exaktbox10.
Plus 10 amp channels!
Or you could daisy chain another AEBi (I think).

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not 100% sure about option of 2 AEBI, but exaktbox 10 or 2 x exaktbox 6 (plus 10 x amplification) will definitely work:

Akurate Exaktbox connections - LinnDocs.jpeg.png

Reactions: Paulssurround

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

The 242 are a mighty fine speaker it seems 💕

New listening room or something lacking with the 212s? If same room, have you considered adding Exaktbox Sub + Subwoofer/s...?

You have some great fun ahead sorting it all out. 🔊

I love this write up
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/405linn/index.html

Reactions: Paulssurround

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 242 are a mighty fine speaker it seems 💕

New listening room or something lacking with the 212s? If same room, have you considered adding Exaktbox Sub + Subwoofer/s...?

You have some great fun ahead sorting it all out. 🔊

I love this write up
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/405linn/index.html
I agree with adding a sub if that's where you feel the 212s are lacking. The outlay for Exakting the 242s is not inconsiderable. You'll be looking at 3.5kish for an Ebox10 with Katalyst and a 2x C5100s another 1.5k.

Reactions: silkie

Peacelord

Wammer
Oct 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a severe case of upgraditis I’m afraid indicated by Utopik. That seems to be the most cost effective step forward for me. And yes the 212 lack bass but it’s not disturbing in any way. I’ve stumbled upon a pair for 1.5k in rosenut finish and have been fantasising about playing a pair since a few years now.

Thanks to your reality check I’ll let them pass me by and order the Utopik upgrade for my KEDSM.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a severe case of upgraditis I’m afraid indicated by Utopik. That seems to be the most cost effective step forward for me. And yes the 212 lack bass but it’s not disturbing in any way. I’ve stumbled upon a pair for 1.5k in rosenut finish and have been fantasising about playing a pair since a few years now.

Thanks to your reality check I’ll let them pass me by and order the Utopik upgrade for my KEDSM.
By all accounts it will transform your already fab system 😀

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I’ve found the source to determine the bass more than the speakers. I’m talking about bass that sounds like musicians playing musical instruments. No bass slam for me.

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I own a pair of 242's and see no need to go any furthor up the Linn food chain speakerwise. For small/medium size rooms you do not lack anything really. Some claim they lack a little bass but if thats your view you can use the "bass boost" facility or add a sub. But I think that depends on what type of music you listen to.

Reactions: entdgc

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I own a pair of 242's and see no need to go any furthor up the Linn food chain speakerwise. For small/medium size rooms you do not lack anything really. Some claim they lack a little bass but if thats your view you can use the "bass boost" facility or add a sub. But I think that depends on what type of music you listen to.
I think the oppo has 212s. But the route to 242s keeping Exakt is waaayyy too much

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: Jail4CEOs2

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@timster
Thanks, but this is the same source I read:
It goes without saying that a SINGLE AEB-i with 8 channels of amplification cannot serve 2 x 5 way speakers but what prevents you from daisy chaining 2 x 8 Ch AEB-I, i.e. 16 channels amp which is sufficient to drive 2 x 5 way speakers?
Hmmm. One Ebox for right speaker, one for left? That's what the Klimax Ebox6 can be configured to do. The AEBox would need to be designed to allow for that too, and I don't see it anywhere.

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sticking to my guns, betcha Exaktbox Sub plus a 'hifi quality sub' (depending on room size possibly two) would transform the Ops 212 system. ✌️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles