Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First: Honda PC50

Best: Too many to list, really - the 'best' could be argued were the bikes which I undertook my most memorable journeys on, in which case it would be the humble BMW R1100R. Over a 2 year period, I covered over 40k miles on it, including a major trip to central Italy (with Mrs G on board), totalling 4000 miles in 3 weeks. The 11R was so capable - comfortable, great handling, compact and as a point-to-point bike it was actually very quick.

Most satisfying - Laverda RGA 1000 Jota (Slater special). Slater Brothers took 35 standard RGA1000's and threw some Corsa bits in the engine, fitted the factory 3-1 pipe, Brembo Gold Line brakes and created something quite wonderful. I maintain it's the best sounding bike (away from race bikes) I've ever heard.

Most fun - Buell XB12R. Great noise, incredible handling - and mine didn't go wrong once in 14k miles. Being 6'3" I looked a bit of a t*t riding it though. :D

Current bike - none. Gave up in 2016 after 35 years. Was put on some meds which affected my balance slightly but whilst the Doc said I'd be ok riding, I felt it would be wise to take a break.

Last edited by a moderator:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First: Honda PC50

Best: Too many to list, really - the 'best' could be argued were the bikes which I undertook my most memorable journeys on, in which case it would be the humble BMW R1100R. Over a 2 year period, I covered over 40k miles on it, including a major trip to central Italy (with Mrs G on board), totalling 4000 miles in 3 weeks. The 11R was so capable - comfortable, great handling, compact and as a point-to-point bike it was actually very quick.

Most satisfying - Laverda RGA 1000 Jota (Slater special). Slater Brothers took 35 standard RGA1000's and threw some Corsa bits in the engine, fitted the factory 3-1 pipe, Brembo Gold Line brakes and created something quite wonderful. I maintain it's the best sounding bike (away from race bikes) I've ever heard.

Most fun - Buell XB12R. Great noise, incredible handling - and mine didn't go wrong once in 14k miles. Being 6'3" I looked a bit of a t*t riding it though. :D

Current bike - none. Gave up in 2016 after 35 years. Was put on some meds which affected my balance slightly but whilst the Doc said I'd be ok riding, I felt it would be wise to take a break.
Many (too many) decades ago, I had the enormous pleasure of borrowing a standard Jota for a sunny weekend. I can still to this day remember the sound, but especially the feel of it. I looked fondly at a few ads a while back, but the very few around are Ferrari money these days and way more than I could ever justify for a plaything.

Mind you, browsing classifieds for 'classic' stuff, most of the prices look mad. I'm old enough to remember brief rides on much of the apalling crap that is now considered worth money. They're probably still around because they were to awful and unreliable to get trashed. If there is ever a cunning plan, it may have to be plan B, which will involve a later tourer.

Reactions: DougK and Gromit

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
There of of bikes listed that I've owned.. but here's my list, I restore old bikes and mostly ride the new ones.

1st bike  1964 honda 90 

Best bike   mmm... 

Would have to say my ktm 890r it's the perfect hooligan road bike, there's not a bad review on the net.

Present bikes.

Ktm890r, laverda slater mirage (the first one), bsa dbd34, hd wlc, a couple of small hondas a cycle motor and a zundapp bella

In between there's been quite a few, ariel arrow, ariel hunt master (a10) kawasaki kr1s, trx850, tl1000r, fjr1300, buell xb12r,vrod, ktm790, and lots of smaller stuff.

I have an old sports car in boxes as a project, its from 1937, owned it over 20 years.. one day !

The ktm 890r is something else..  light, fast, electronics that work well  and absolutely loves corners, I feel like I'm holding it back.

Bolosun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2013
I was thinking about buying a 890R, but after test riding the 790, it was physically too small for me. Brilliant bike though.

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I was thinking about buying a 890R, but after test riding the 790, it was physically too small for me. Brilliant bike though.
You must be a big fella, I'm 6'2 and with the comfort seat I'm well off the ground, the 890r is a taller bike and everything about it is better than the 790.

I put the handle bars at the forward position, they are lower than the 790, so stretch you out a bit, it's a perfect fit for me.

Bolosun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2013
You must be a big fella, I'm 6'2 and with the comfort seat I'm well off the ground, the 890r is a taller bike and everything about it is better than the 790.

I put the handle bars at the forward position, they are lower than the 790, so stretch you out a bit, it's a perfect fit for me.
I'm only 5'10, and 14stone, but it felt small for me. I went for a Speed Triple instead.

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
With all the laverda jota talk, my mirage history is an interesting story

my brother rang me in the late 90s  one of his mates had a bike in bits, he was emigrating and wanted rid, but it belonged to his brother in law, off I went looked at the pile of bits and went to see said brother inlaw, a very good deal was struck  and I collected the bike.

I thought  I'd bought a standard 1200t  that someone had upgraded.

It was all good original paint. I spent a vast amount on rechroming though. I fitted new timing chain and a good clean up /service/ tyres etc.

It was in bits when I bought it because it had taken an off road journey via a kerb, that had left a couple of dings in the cast wheels, although it went really well I didn't feel like trusting it with those wheels.

It got parked up for 10 years.. during that time I had picked a pair of wheels, so it was time for another refurbish, new tyres, carbs kits etc and had it back on the road. I'd forgotten how quick it was, it had the jota camshaft, jota everything really except for the high compression pistons.

After much deliberation I thought I'd contact slaters to check the history, so rang and was told to ring back a day later which I did and send some picks of the numbers and the bike

The guy (I think) Roger had all the import docs in front of him 

He was proud that they had got the 1st batch of these bikes, mine is frame number 5, and the frame numbers they received where from 5 to 28 with a few missing numbers.

I asked about the mirage decals, he said my bike was a factory build mirage, built to their specs, slaters added the exhaust and the decals in the UK.. 

It made my day, not only that, at the time the laverda books stated the mirages came along well after the standard 1200t. Mine changed that. I gladly paid the £25 for the dating letter stating that frame number 5 was a genuine mirage.

The bike got little use that summer,  But more sadly, the bike stood for another 10 years.  At long last this year I've got it back on the road.... again.. where it will stay.

I'll take some pics later 

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
First Suzuki TS125

Best Harley davidson WLA ex-army bike. Foot clutch, tank shift and a 45ci side valve engine

Current Above HD, plus a Harley Duoglide

jcr71

New Wammer
Sep 30, 2021
Southampton
AKA
jason
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
first: Yamaha TZR125

best: TZR125.

i bought it in the spring of 1990 when i was still a teenager. just in time for a long hot summer. my first experience of biking and many great times over a 2 year period, including passing my test and touring Wales with a mate with a Suzuki gs850. mates 850 was new to him after only riding a 125 and he dropped the bike at a standstill a few times on that tour, including on me outside Caernarfon castle.

current: Yamaha Thunderace. 

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First bike - Honda C50 moped

Best bike - Yamaha TDM900

Current bike - Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 & Honda Silver Wing. Have owned the V-Strom since new, over 13yrs.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
First:  Suzuki AP50 (1977, before the 30 mph restriction)

Best:  Triumph Rocket 3

Now:  Harley Street Glide.

Batty

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2009
Adelaide. Oztrayliya
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First: Suzuki GT185.

Best: Kawazaki GPX600R

Most fun: Yamaha FRZ250exup

Worst: Kawazaki Z1000ST

Now: nada

jumpmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 15, 2008
Hull, , United Kingd
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the first time I’ve ever scrolled down past the 2 channel section!

1st Honda H100

Best Suzuki RGV250

Now KTM EXC450

When I eventually put in enough effort to sell my KTM, I’ll probably buy a Street Triple.

DougK

DougK
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Witham
AKA
Doug
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First: Honda XL250

Best: BMW K75 (Hewn from granite. Owned for 30 years including 3 years abuse as despatch bike, never ever let me down. Nephew has restored it and it's still going strong). 

Current: BMW R1100S (waiting to be fixed), Kawasaki ZZR600 (running like a pig, needs carb strip-down and clean) 

Mantra Maniac

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2021
France
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First: BSA C15 Spent more time being fixed than ridden.
Best: '62 Harley It was a slightly twisted battle scarred wreck when I bought it. I intended to chop it but I thought I would try riding it as is for a while to see what condition the motor was in. It ran so well I didn't chop it. I just removed a lot of the unnecessary & damaged crap to reduce the weight. A small piece of foam rubber got taped on the frame where the big old sprung saddle used to be. Job done. I never wanted anything more once I rode the Pacific Coast Highway on that beast.

gninnamag

Listening to music hopefully
Wammer
Jan 15, 2008
Leeds
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
First: Kawasaki ZZR 600
Best: Kawasaki ZX6R
Current: None

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First as a Honda 90 in 1969, but I don't count bit. Suzuki GT 185 from 1972 was my first real bike
Best has to be the Ducati ST2
and now?
Sold the last one aged 69. A triumph Tiger 800 a few years back
Bloody old age! Ogri would still be riding damn him hahaha.

chezi

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 8, 2012
Fun City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1st. Yamaha DT125LC.
Best. Suzuki GSXR 750 K3.
Now. Honda VFR800fi (1999) Honda CBR1000rr Fireblade , (2005)

chz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.