Female Jazz artists

E

Eaton Mess

Anette Askvik is a Norwegian songwriter, composer, pianist, and vocalist. . Askvik's music is a mix of pop and jazz.

Reactions: FrankD

FrankD

FrankD
Wammer
May 11, 2019
Ruislip
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Eaton Mess Nice selection, I like the albums Ella Fitzgerald done with Louie Armstrong, great version of Summertime.

First time I have heard Vanessa Fernandez, and Anette Askvik

E

Eaton Mess

@Eaton Mess Nice selection, I like the albums Ella Fitzgerald done with Louie Armstrong, great version of Summertime.

First time I have heard Vanessa Fernandez, and Anette Askvik
For me Ealla is the epitome of the female Jazz singer, I hope her recordings are enjoyed by so many future generations

Whats great now with a number of up-coming jazz artists is that they are strating to blend other genres with Jazz  Vanessa and Anette are a couple of examples. Thats making Jazz more popular especially those who thought it was more like the avant-garde works of Ornette Coleman and his ilk.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

For me, the very greatest jazz singer, regardless of gender. Her control and range here brings a lump to my throat.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankD

FrankD
Wammer
May 11, 2019
Ruislip
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, the very greatest jazz singer, regardless of gender. Her control and range here brings a lump to my throat.
When you use the word control you are bang on and this video is a great example of that.

As for greatest I always struggled who is the greatest between Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Nina Simone, Dinah Washington and maybe a few others as they are all great in the own right.

Maybe not jazz, but maybe one of other great voices.

Etta James - I'd Rather Be Blind 

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was intrigued by this thread and Ive sampled all the youtube extracts provided to a degree. Most of the newer generation singers suggested here are shown singing ballads, however. I would like a heads up on some young jazz singers who can belt one out in an up tempo big band swing style.

Im familiar with Ella, Sarah Vaughan, Nina Simone etc and I particularly like Dinah Washington's delivery.

If the new artists referred to are considered jazz, then Rikki Lee Jones has to be included, doesnt she?

( I dont wish to imply there's anything 'wrong' in being insufficiently 'jazzy'. If it strikes a chord in the listener that's enough.)

I trust you guys who know more than I about up and coming female artists than I do will keep this thread going.

Good stuff..

Jack NSM

24bit

Wammer
Oct 14, 2018
It's not only singers that can perform jazz :D . I like Karin van Kooten's violin playing here, on this superb One Microphone recording and the bassist is super dedicated;

reiniervoetv1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=DLLabPCm3pI&loop=0

rangesound

Wammer
Mar 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Billie Holiday is my favorite American female Jazz singer from the Swing and early Modern Jazz eras. I also like Madeleine Peyroux, though she sings not only vintage Jazz but also Blues, Pop and Folk.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughan.

"Audiophile" female jazz singers (the Barbies, Krells, Pigeons and Perus) bore me to death.

BERK59

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2009
Dagenham, Essex, , U
AKA
Ian Berkoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hello

Just purchased Carken Gomes sings a blues. A great voice. Here are some of my favourites

Jane Monheit
Oppie Bellas
Sara Gasarek
Roberta Gambarini

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online