Linn Owners

Exaktbox-sub

westiebj

Wammer
New Wammer
May 22, 2012
Hi
I have two BK active subs I want to use with my Selekt DSM ... the only way to connect them it seems is via an Exaktbox Sub. ( there is no sub / pre out on the DSM and you cannot use the high level speaker terminals as the amps in the DSM are class D and bridged )
Did you ever get you box working satisfactorily ?
Its an expensive option ( especially if I need filters designed ) so would appreciate any feedback .. positive or negative
Thanks in advance

Reactions: CaptenBonScott

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi
I have two BK active subs I want to use with my Selekt DSM ... the only way to connect them it seems is via an Exaktbox Sub. ( there is no sub / pre out on the DSM and you cannot use the high level speaker terminals as the amps in the DSM are class D and bridged )
Its an expensive option ( especially if I need filters designed ) so would appreciate any feedback .. positive or negative
Thanks in advance
Assuming Selekt onboard power amps and at least one available slot, how about a line level module and standard DAC? I'm not sure of the price compared to the Exaktbox-Sub.

westiebj

Wammer
New Wammer
May 22, 2012
Assuming Selekt onboard power amps and at least one available slot, how about a line level module and standard DAC? I'm not sure of the price compared to the Exaktbox-Sub.
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion ... Its something I had also considered. Could also be useful for other functions. However I think this would preclude exakt from recognising it and allowing filters / delays etc to be applied. I agree it MAY be possible to do some of this in the subs but wouldn't be 100% integrated. Good idea though, especially if its cheaper!
Thanks again

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion ... Its something I had also considered. Could also be useful for other functions. However I think this would preclude exakt from recognising it and allowing filters / delays etc to be applied. I agree it MAY be possible to do some of this in the subs but wouldn't be 100% integrated. Good idea though, especially if its cheaper!
Thanks again
I don't think that delay would be an issue. The filters should be in the sub. Someone in the know might come along here, or you could ask your dealer who would surely get you the correct answer. :)

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Interesting, I thought you would need an all exakt system to use an Exaktbox sub?

Conversely, I thought you wouldnt need an Exaktbox sub if you had an exakt slot (or two) available on an Exaktbox?

For my Exaktbox sub setup, the subs crossovers are set wide open as the Exaktbox sub filters the signal sent to the subs.

So the exakt filters for subs are only in Exaktbox sub?

Makes you dizzy 😣

Monek

New Wammer
May 8, 2019
Italy
AKA
Giacomo
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Interesting, I thought you would need an all exakt system to use an Exaktbox sub?

Conversely, I thought you wouldnt need an Exaktbox sub if you had an exakt slot (or two) available on an Exaktbox?

For my Exaktbox sub setup, the subs crossovers are set wide open as the Exaktbox sub filters the signal sent to the subs.

So the exakt filters for subs are only in Exaktbox sub?

Makes you dizzy 😣
Yesterday I sent an email to HelpLine exactly about it. I do have an ExaktboxSub in a 2 channel system, with 2 x Klimax Exaktbox, with 4 slots free. Obviously I would prefer to use the Klimax free channels with my 2 JL aAudio subs if possible, quality should be higher for sure.
In case it wasnt possible, my understanding is that it's just a software "issue", i mean if Linn decides to let it possible, Linn Kan ..... with a simple firmware upgrade

Monek

New Wammer
May 8, 2019
Italy
AKA
Giacomo
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
For some speakers are subs possible with Exaktbox only

Akurate Exaktbox connections:​

1676981148149.png
That's interesting! With Akudorik I don't think it's possible....I can find that type of connection. I dont think it dependes from firmware version, by the way software version of mine is 4.177.xxxxx, ExaktOrganikV2 7 July 2021

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Yesterday I sent an email to HelpLine exactly about it. I do have an ExaktboxSub in a 2 channel system, with 2 x Klimax Exaktbox, with 4 slots free. Obviously I would prefer to use the Klimax free channels with my 2 JL aAudio subs if possible, quality should be higher for sure.
In case it wasnt possible, my understanding is that it's just a software "issue", i mean if Linn decides to let it possible, Linn Kan ..... with a simple firmware upgrade
Looking at the Klimax Exaktbox manual..., it sure looks like you are good to configure one slot on each exaktbox to drive your subs. Assuming subs have balanced inputs, or RCA if Klimax Exaktbox have those.

In konfig, simply select the type of subs you want it to emulate, and configure both as mono or both as LFE. Both subs will need to be configured as the same type of sub as well.

Which JL subs do you have, and what type do you plan on configuring them as?

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
That's interesting! With Akudorik I don't think it's possible....I can find that type of connection. I dont think it dependes from firmware version, by the way software version of mine is 4.177.xxxxx, ExaktOrganikV2 7 July 2021
Just looked at akurate exaktbox manual, looks like would work for two Akudorik plus sub but don't quote me on it.

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Attached is screen print.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-154512.png
    Screenshot_20230221-154512.png
    503.3 KB · Views: 17

Monek

New Wammer
May 8, 2019
Italy
AKA
Giacomo
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was told by Linn Helpline that using (in my case) a klimax exaktbox for Akudorik + sub it's possible just in surround mode, not in 2 channel.
That's a pity, anyway this is how it works...

CaptenBonScott

CaptenBonScott
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Sweden, Luleå
AKA
Magnus Blom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi
Thanks in advance
You can run a sub with high level speaker terminals if you connect an extra earth to the Selekt.

westiebj

Wammer
New Wammer
May 22, 2012
Hi
Thanks for the reply ...
I have tried to connect at high level '+' on the Selekt DSM speaker '+' and the high level '-' to a chassis earth on Selekt DSM , leaving the Selekt DSM '-' unconnected.
I get either nothing, or a very loud hum through the sub
I believed this should work as it is something REL recommend, but in my case it appears not
Am I missing something ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles