EVENT OPAL

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a notched +/- gain control on the front behind the rubber insert, when I had my Opals I used it with my Audio Note pre no problem.
I have'nt really played around with all the controls behind the rubber cover Jez to be honest I just plugged & played. I did make sure both speakers were set exactly the same though before listening to them👌🏻

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have'nt really played around with all the controls behind the rubber cover Jez to be honest I just plugged & played. I did make sure both speakers were set exactly the same though before listening to them👌🏻
If you're happy with the volume range on your pre then I'd leave it, but if you're getting blasted say between 9 O'clock and 11 on the pre, have a play with lowering the gain on the speakers, If you do adjust the speaker gain, turn the volume down on the pre first.

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you're happy with the volume range on your pre then I'd leave it, but if you're getting blasted say between 9 O'clock and 11 on the pre, have a play with lowering the gain on the speakers, If you do adjust the speaker gain, turn the volume down on the pre first.
Thanks Jez I'm happy with my set up so I'll leave well alone I think👍

Reactions: bencat and JezR

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Curiosity has got the better of me since the posts above and so I took the covers off the front panel to have a play with the various settings a bit over the weekend.

Not really discovered much as some of the controls crackled so I reset them & left everything as it was.

I'm just wondering if I need some switch cleaner spray to clean them up And If I do whats the best type as I don't want to bugger things up using the wrong one.

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yeh, I'm not talking about sensitivity matching, it's the impedance.
If the power amp has an input impedance less than x10 that of the output impedance of your Pre Amp. You will get an anaemic thin sound with rolled off bass.
Pre amps like the Rogue RP-7 which looks like it has low output impedance, actually needs an amp with at least 20k input impedance 50k would be better.
This is because its impedance rises dramatically as frequency falls.
For the RP-7 its 5.6kohm at 20kHz. yes 5600 ohm.
Many active speakers fall into the 10 to 20kohm range. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the input impedance of the Opals were, to help me match a Pre Amp to them.

Last edited:

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Curiosity has got the better of me since the posts above and so I took the covers off the front panel to have a play with the various settings a bit over the weekend.

Not really discovered much as some of the controls crackled so I reset them & left everything as it was.

I'm just wondering if I need some switch cleaner spray to clean them up And If I do whats the best type as I don't want to bugger things up using the wrong one.
You cant really get into them with switch cleaner, they are very small pots and semi sealed.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeh, I'm not talking about sensitivity matching, it's the impedance.
If the power amp has an input impedance less than x10 that of the output impedance of your Pre Amp. You will get an anaemic thin sound with rolled off bass.
Pre amps like the Rogue RP-7 which looks like it has low output impedance, actually needs an amp with at least 20k input impedance 50k would be better.
This is because its impedance rises dramatically as frequency falls.
For the RP-7 its 5.6kohm at 20kHz. yes 5600 ohm.
Many active speakers fall into the 10 to 20kohm range. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the input impedance of the Opals where, to help me match a Pre Amp to them.
Sorry Ken your asking the wrong person might be best to put a thread asking the question in the Questions forum there are a lot of clever bods on here who will be able to help I'm sure.

Have you read my post above yours?

I have spent some time cleaning all the controls this morning and and it's done a great job of getting rid of any crackling & rustling noises they were making when operated may well be a worthwhile thing for you to do too👌🏻

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have my Opals connected to an Esoteric CO-3 pre amplifier never considered any impedence matching TBH.

They work perfectly together🤔
Your Pre has an output impedance of 47ohm SE and 100ohm Bal so an amp of 10kohm or higher will probably work fine with it. But not all Pre Amps are that low, my Schiit Freya+ is 600ohms bal but has rising impedance as frequency falls, so requires higher amp input impedance to avoid rolled off bass. Poor impedance matching is usually why you get polarised reviews of gear.

Reactions: Gizza

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have spent some time cleaning all the controls this morning and and it's done a great job of getting rid of any crackling & rustling noises they were making when operated may well be a worthwhile thing for you to do too👌🏻
Mnnn, I'm looking at a brand new contour board as I type and can't see any way of getting cleaning fluid into the pots. How did you do this?
The board with all the controls is called the contour board, as it alters the contour of the response curve.

Last edited:

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sorry Ken your asking the wrong person might be best to put a thread asking the question in the Questions forum there are a lot of clever bods on here who will be able to help I'm sure.
It should be part of the Specification in the Opal's manual, I'm surprised they didn't put it in there.
It's unlikely anyone other than an Opal owner would know what the input impedance is.
I might try the UK importer, they may have kept some records, relating to warranty repairs.
If I find out, I'll post it, to help other owners.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It should be part of the Specification in the Opal's manual, I'm surprised they didn't put it in there.
It's unlikely anyone other than an Opal owner would know what the input impedance is.
I might try the UK importer, they may have kept some records, relating to warranty repairs.
If I find out, I'll post it, to help other owners.
Mnnn, I'm looking at a brand new contour board as I type and can't see any way of getting cleaning fluid into the pots. How did you do this?
The board with all the controls is called the contour board, as it alters the contour of the response curve.
I found at first it did'nt make much difference but I used a fine screwdriver
under the lip of each switch helped also tilting the switch with my fingers helped too.

Anyway it seems to have worked no crackles or rustling noises just a slight pop when the switch is moved.

I'm sure that any info will be very useful to other owners mate if you could post links to any other info pics or parts suppliers stuff like that I would be very grateful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qwin

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess I have just been lucky slotting my system together as I have and that I got a great result as I could'nt be happier with how it sounds and I am leaving the switches alone thats for sure👍

Last edited:
Reactions: garn63

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have now cleaned both pairs of Opals switches and the net result is no more noise when operating them ie crackling & rustling. I think it best not to change settings while the speakers are switched on anyway. At least I now know they are all cleaned.

I have discovered to my great irritation two of the gain switches are not aligned with their markings I actually thought one was set at zero when in fact it was +2 and the other speaker was set at +1.🙄

Anyway I have now set them to zero by counting the clicks and I can confirm my concern I was losing my hearing in my left ear is totally unfounded.😁

So a warning to all other Event Opal owners clean your switches and check your settings are what they are meant to be in particular the gain.

Last edited:

Marcus

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 29, 2011
London
AKA
Marcus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to be clear. Did you manage to get to the pots from inside the speaker or did you spray from the front along the switch stem? I can't see how you got behind the switch knob. Well done getting rid of the crackling.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Marcus,

Yes I laid the speaker on it's back got a small screwdriver & put it under the switch then with one hand I pulled the switch up a little further then sprayed them. Plenty of turning while there was liquid.

I left them a few minutes before replacing them on the stands turned it on & tried the switches some worked ist time others needed several applications.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still dont' know what some of these do????? 🫣
FD07F548-68FA-42F7-8EB6-A265A80B16D0.jpeg

It's all gobbledegook to me 🤪

Marcus

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 29, 2011
London
AKA
Marcus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Marcus,

Yes I laid the speaker on it's back got a small screwdriver & put it under the switch then with one hand I pulled the switch up a little further then sprayed them. Plenty of turning while there was liquid.

I left them a few minutes before replacing them on the stands turned it on & tried the switches some worked ist time
Hi Marcus,

I left them a few minutes before replacing them on the stands turned it on & tried the switches some worked ist time others needed several applications.
Thanks Steve. I wonder whether the knobs slide off the stems. Anyone know?

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wel I tried to prize them off with the small screwdriver but to no avail and decided they wer'nt meant to come off easily so stopped.

Marcus

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 29, 2011
London
AKA
Marcus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mainly 'Room EQ Controls'?
The Room EQ Controls would be used together with the Event Studio EQ pack which consists of the calibration microphone and room analysis software. So you would take a reading of the room then try to address some of the peaks shown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles