EVENT OPAL

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had my Opals apart and will pass on what I learned and have done.
First, I had self noise on one speaker, a low level of hiss/hum that could be heard a few feet from the speaker. I added a ground wire from the contour board in the front half of the cabinet to the grounding bolt on the rear half of the cabinet. 70% or more of the noise went away and I now have to be very close to the drivers to hear anything.
Second, I added a pair of high level outputs, to connect a sub woofer to each monitor.
Both these mods can be seen in detail on my blog here: https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Opals/Opal_01.html

Opal_07.jpeg

Opal_08.jpeg
When you exhibit at the show Ken are you intending to have the subs there too?

I would be very interested to hear them👍

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
When you exhibit at the show Ken are you intending to have the subs there too?

I would be very interested to hear them👍
Been away for a few days, just spotted this.
I'm hoping I might have the Subs for the show, but if a nice Pre Amp comes along they may have to wait.
By the way, that Esoteric Pre amp of yours is a tasty bit of Kit.
I'm considering a pair of BK Electronics XXS300-FF Subs
10" forward firing sealed box, with 300w amp. I think a pair of 12" might be to much Sub for my room size.
My intention, when acquiring the Opal's was to break my speaker system down into smaller, lighter pieces as my arthritis means I struggle to move my main speakers.
This is what I have in mind.

Stand_Layout.jpg

• Love
Reactions: MVJ and antonio66

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been away for a few days, just spotted this.
I'm hoping I might have the Subs for the show, but if a nice Pre Amp comes along they may have to wait.
By the way, that Esoteric Pre amp of yours is a tasty bit of Kit.
I'm considering a pair of BK Electronics XXS300-FF Subs
10" forward firing sealed box, with 300w amp. I think a pair of 12" might be to much Sub for my room size.
My intention, when acquiring the Opal's was to break my speaker system down into smaller, lighter pieces as my arthritis means I struggle to move my main speakers.
This is what I have in mind.

Stand_Layout.jpg
I'm lovin' those Ken they look the doggies do dahs I look forward to hearing them at the show.

The Esoteric was a defining moment in my hifi journey closely followed by the Opals which it seems were meant to be partnered with the Esoteric.

One thing about the combo is there is no hiding place for poor recordings but good recordings on & they deliver in spades.

Reactions: Qwin

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like the Opals are back to being on their own on the front line again as one of the Beolab 8000 has stopped working😟

Bugger gutted or what🥴

Somnambulist

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2012
SE London
AKA
Paul
Put mine up for sale in the classifieds months later than intended! If I‘m in a position in the future to enjoy stereo I’m not sure what I’ll replace them with but right now it’s better if they go to a good home. We had a good run together…

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear your not able to listen to your music as you'd like Paul. You've had your moneys worth from the Opals thats for sure I'm no longer looking for another pair as I have a spare working pair now.

underbridge

New Wammer
Dec 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Qwin You might need to check both countur board +/-15V Ecap 35V/4700uF and AMP Ecap 50V 4700uF.

I have a pair, one of them power board Ecap (Fujicon 35V 4700uF) blow out. Another one from amp board Ecap 50V 4700uF (Fujicon) blow up.

There are 6 ecap from Amp board, four Nichicom 100VDC3300uF are good. Anther two are 50V I think it not enough. Transformer out put 2X30VAC, with 10% mains tolerance, the voltage can be 33V, the rectified DC peak voltage can be 46.6VDC. Very marginal to 50VDC.

Since you have already opened, you should take the change to replace both power board Ecap and Amp board Ecap. in my case, after I replace both ecap, he low freq humming noise is gone. The reason was, from the +/-15V and +/-30V, if one cap was not giving enough capacitance, will result lower DC and much higher AC ripple. This asymertic from DC and AC ripple will cause asymertic from your output transistor pair. Ideally the output should be at zero but due to the asymertic from both DC and AC ripple, it will cause a small bias from the out put to your speaker.

Attachments

• Power.png
    Power.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • AMP.jpg
    AMP.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: m7rso

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I ca quite honestly say not one sentence makes any sense to me underbridge😱

It could just as well be in Japanese😁

• Haha
Reactions: Wenge1

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@MVJ I currently have the recently sold pair of these speakers all packed up and ready for Graham when he comes back from holiday . In the bag of bits there is test microphone . Was this standard with the speakers ? If so did you use it to set up the speakers ? This is just out of interest as I am now pretty used to using a mix for doing DIRAC sessions .

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@MVJ I currently have the recently sold pair of these speakers all packed up and ready for Graham when he comes back from holiday . In the bag of bits there is test microphone . Was this standard with the speakers ? If so did you use it to set up the speakers ? This is just out of interest as I am now pretty used to using a mix for doing DIRAC sessions .
As far as I know it came with the speakers but not sure mine came with it and all the cables required.

I did try using it myself by downloading the file needed off the Event site but I just did'nt understand what I was looking at with the graphs or how to alter them Tbh.

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
As far as I know it came with the speakers but not sure mine came with it and all the cables required.

I did try using it myself by downloading the file needed off the Event site but I just did'nt understand what I was looking at with the graphs or how to alter them Tbh.

They came with the microphone and room EQ software.

Reactions: MVJ

underbridge

New Wammer
Dec 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I ca quite honestly say not one sentence makes any sense to me underbridge😱

It could just as well be in Japanese😁
just share what I have encountered. Might help others if there are similar problem.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was'nt having a go at what you wrote it's me I just don't get all the tech jargon mate😝

I'm sure it will be useful to someone & thank you for taking the time to post it on the thread👍.

Steve.

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now Steve I would never ever sell a friend's gear without telling him first . Blow up his amp well that's another story . I can now confirm the the Event Opals have been delivered but not yet opened . Graham has his work cut out getting this not only unpacked but the set up in his room . His system as I heard today is now sounding wonderful and any speakers will have to be very good to sound any better than his Posselts . I await my invite to have a listen once he has them up and working .

Reactions: m7rso and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now Steve I would never ever sell a friend's gear without telling him first . Blow up his amp well that's another story . I can now confirm the the Event Opals have been delivered but not yet opened . Graham has his work cut out getting this not only unpacked but the set up in his room . His system as I heard today is now sounding wonderful and any speakers will have to be very good to sound any better than his Posselts . I await my invite to have a listen once he has them up and working .
I've heard great things about the Posselts so should be very interesting although Graham has exhausted the supply of speakers has has'nt had/tried so don't know where he goes from here😛

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles