Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have been asked by a family member to suggest a couple of options for an entry level headphone amp, roughly around the £100 mark.

I don’t have a separate amp myself (I use a Rega Brio), but I am thinking one of the following;

Schiit Magni 3 or Heresy (but both currently OOS in the UK)

JD Labs Atom

Project Head Box S2

Headphones not yet purchased and nothing particular in mind. We’ll start off with me lending him my spare Sennheisers.

Any views on the above or thoughts on what to look for 2nd hand would be much appreciated.

Source will be a vintage Marantz TT with a Rega phono pre amp connected.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Musical fidelity Vcan or Arcam rHead for used HPAs. 

Reactions: Cool Dude Ted

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Even going with something on the cheaper side you should bear in mind what headphones might be used as the amp might not be able to drive them properly. This is more important than what brand to buy at that price. 

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
I was interested in the Heresy version of the Magni....but gave up waiting for UK supplier - and didn't fancy the import option.

That Atom was also on my radar and could be a good option for your family member Ted.

Those Magni's (when available) are £120 plus postage I think....so if the budget could creep up a bit more...

If he could also use a USB DAC, the Zen DAC V2 isn't that much more expensive.

If he only needs an amp, keep an eye out for a cheap Topping A50S, no noise, FR as flat as a pancake, will drive any headphones (including balanced). Even at full (£219?) price....doubt he'd ever need to upgrade.

EDIT: Scrub the Zen DAC Ted. Sorry, just seen his source will be TT / phono pre. In which case that A50S would be perfect (it's what I ended up with - only because I got it for £174 new).

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to everyone who has posted/replied.

Apologies for not replying sooner, but I’ve been distracted by other things.

despite my intention to sit back and take time to consider recommendations, late on Thursday - out of the blue - I came across a new/unused Project Head Box S2 on another forum. Given it was new, and the price we agreed, I though it was an ideal entry point into headphone listening for my brother. 

Although it did get powered up, I haven’t yet had time to try it out (on his behalf of course!).

If it can power my Sennhesier 650s then we really should be safe powering anything he buys - likely to be no more than entry level at this point.

Limited downside risk here. If he doesn’t use his new set up much (old TT into the Project amp via Rega phono pre) either I’ll but it off him, or more likely, we’ll sell it on.

He’s going to ask me about headphones, I know, and I’m thinking about telling him to get hold of a pair of AKG.

muff

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2009
Barry wales, , Unite
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Lehmann  Rhinelander and a Gothham interconnect as a Package on eBay at moment. I have used it with Shenniser Hd540 ref headphone reason for sale new amp with headphone output. May be of use.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I know I'm late to the party here but thought it worth mentioning the  ClearAudio Nano phono stage it's a super phono stage with nice configuration with on the fly adjustable gain and a headphone out. 

obviously a bit more than you were looking at if brought new £400 ish but maybe of interest if looking to upgrade his phono stage later. Used ones come up now and then under £200 it's a cracking little phono.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
He’s going to ask me about headphones, I know
If he likes neutrality, make sure he doesn't overlook Senn 560S.

I prefer mine to more expensive alternatives that I've tried (including K712 Pro and HD600).

£152 from Senn Direct - I've not had better audio value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online