Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
Worcestershire
AKA
Trumpet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quick question, I've borrowed a Dynavector P75 mk3 for a test run. Actual owner not very well. Never heard one through my system so looking forward to a listen.
There is no power switch, leave on or switch off?
Thanks.... I just want to do the right thing :)

Arnolddew

New Wammer
Jan 24, 2023
Drachten, Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I’m a firm believer that leaving it on 24/7 is the best option. Transistors take some time to get to their best operating time. They warm up and cool down before settling down. And caps don’t seem to like to be powered on and off, and maybe even worse: stay “off” for long times. A lot of this is described on the internet.

If you turn it off and on every time during usage vs leaving it on for let’s say 10 year I bet with the last option your phono is in better condition (If it’s a good design and not get’s extreme hot).

And leaving it idle does not ask much (stress wise) of the parts in the device.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Naim and they recommend to leave it on 24/7, apart from thunderstorms and extended periods of absence.

FYI, electrical / electronic equipment tends to fail when it is switched on / switched off.

DG….

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Naim and they recommend to leave it on 24/7, apart from thunderstorms and extended periods of absence.

FYI, electrical / electronic equipment tends to fail when it is switched on / switched off.

DG….
I noticed that on home demo Naim gear sounded quite different if left on permanently.

To the OP I didn’t feel the need to leave my Dynavector on permanently.

Melys1

New Wammer
Feb 20, 2022
Wiltshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do not leave on my equipment 24/7 as some suggest. My last component fail had was after it had been on over an hour,. I was alerted to the fail both by the sound through the speakers and the smoke coming from it. If I had left it on 24/7 this may well of happened when I wan not in, or worse still, when I was in and asleep. For the sake of yourself, and the environment, I would suggest, strongly, not to have anything turned on when you are not close by.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To be fair, a lot of what is written on the internet (as well as a lot of 'common knowledge') is completely wrong.

Solid state devices mostly take a few minutes to reach stable operating conditions once they've been used for a while. Maybe up to ten or even twenty minutes in the extreme. Anything solid state that isn't working ideally after twenty minutes frankly has issues, one way or another. Capacitors ditto. In fact, turning on and off is probably better for capacitors in most circuits. On the other hand, switch-on can produce current and voltage spikes, with inrush current being a notable issue with larger transformers. A sensibly and properly designed power supply will account for this. Sadly, not all power supplies are sensibly and properly designed. Probably the majority of failures do occur at switch-on, although such failures may be relatively simple to repair.

Also, a lot of low-powered equipment relies on 'wallwart' power supplies. Depending on the manufacture, these can have their own problems. I personally avoid leaving any of them permanently powered up if at all possible.

I would never, ever leave any valve circuit on 24/7. Not under any circumstances. Quite apart from the horrendous waste of power and resources and the potential risks, it is likely to seriously reduce valve life. A valve running with no signal passing through it can actually deteriorate faster than one in use.

Even disregarding any 'green' issues, I imagine the majoirity of us are responsible for paying our own electricity bill. Every time that arrives, it's a good reason to start looking round the house at anything left turned on when it isn't being used.

Long and short of it here is that my entire system gets turned off when I'm not listening to it. In fact, pretty much the only things round the house that are left powered are the fridge and freezer and the TV. The last of those somewhat grudgingly, but simply because it has a habit of losing its settings if you power it down for too long.

Reactions: Beobloke and Melys1

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I’ve said on here before, you don’t leave your oven on when you’re not cooking anything, you don’t leave your shower running when you‘re not having a wash and you don’t leave your car’s engine running overnight so it’s ready to go in the morning.

So why on earth would you leave your hi-fi on when you’re not listening to it?

• Upvote
Reactions: rabski and Warszawa

Arnolddew

New Wammer
Jan 24, 2023
Drachten, Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Well, some very strong opinions. This is going to be a topic of people who just like to be right.
Imho we are not talking about showers, cars or ovens but about pre-amps and amps.
A good designed amp or pre-amp (or other piece of hifi) is not going to wear if leaving it on 24/7. I'm not talking about tube's, class A amps or bad designs.

Every time you start up these parts they do get a beating and so it's going to wear more than leaving it on. Of course you can limit this effect by altering the psu, but does this improve sound quality?

I have serviced a lot of vintage Britsh amps and the ones that where left on 24/7 always have the best measuring caps.

Some brands like Naim, NVA (original owner) and even PS audio recommend(ed) leaving their stuff on.

But agian, just a opinion and my to cents.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
Worcestershire
AKA
Trumpet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all contributions.
Btw the P75 in enhanced mode is absolutely brilliant in my system, I'm so impressed that I took an online look at the Mk4 , which surprise surprise has a power on/off switch.(Maybe a change later, who knows ?)
I've sold my Rega Aria Phono stage and bought the P75(was on loan)
So this is where I am, when I'm at home it's on, when I'm away on hols or visiting it's off............

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all contributions.
Btw the P75 in enhanced mode is absolutely brilliant in my system, I'm so impressed that I took an online look at the Mk4 , which surprise surprise has a power on/off switch.(Maybe a change later, who knows ?)
I've sold my Rega Aria Phono stage and bought the P75(was on loan)
So this is where I am, when I'm at home it's on, when I'm away on hols or visiting it's off............
It’s a great sounding stage. Enjoy!

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, some very strong opinions. This is going to be a topic of people who just like to be right.
Imho we are not talking about showers, cars or ovens but about pre-amps and amps.
A good designed amp or pre-amp (or other piece of hifi) is not going to wear if leaving it on 24/7. I'm not talking about tube's, class A amps or bad designs.
it’s not a case of trying to be right - I'm merely imparting my opinion which has been developed over 25 years as an electronic engineer.

If it's capacitor failure that you're talking about, then the inevitable culprits for these are electrolytics. The reason they fail is the the electrolyte in them gradually evaporates during their lifespan. The main factor that accelerates this demise is heat, therefore if you leave your equipment on 24/7 then it's going to stay nice and toasty and help your capacitors on their way.

Do you think it's a coincidence that a particular amplifier manufacturer apparently advocates leaving their items permanently powered, but then also recommends a full set of replacement capacitors every 10 years?! If you don't do the former, then you don't need the latter...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles