Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Damned!

Last night, a new firmware update of the Klimax NG DSM Hub.

It takes a long time… the music is playing strangely during the process.

And – big mistake, and I know it's idiot, but I did – I decided that was not correct and… I shut down the DSM in the middle of the update to restart the update again.

Result:
The left Exakt box appears no more on Config or on the Linn site. The blue light shine, the box is on, but no sound is going to the amps. The right Exakt box plays music.

I restart again and again the DSM and the boxes, I restore again and again but always the same message in red:
A problem occurred while updating the device (…)

As it was not enough for the night, I founded that the Exakt boxes — like the Exakt speakers — have a little reset button that Linn calls FALLBACK on the back.
Of course, go for it, I press it on the 2 boxes……………………… And guess what, the right channel was out too (but still present on Config?!?).

So… no more music at all.

I've sent today a message to Linn Helpline.
First response: a link by Colin to the process "Issues programming an Exakt products".
And what I read then: "When a failure is reported, DO NOT press FALLBACK at any time".

It's a joke. 😱

So…………… Is there anyone here who already know what's the next step to get the Exakt boxes back to life again?

Of course, I sent a new message to Linn, and I will call my Linn dealer tomorrow.

A big thanks, from the real idiot (who is not Iggy Pop)
Christophe

Last edited:

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What were you updating? I just looked at Konfig and there are no updates available. At least mine is up to date. Are you on the beta program?

Yes, the beta program. An other – very – good idea 😉

Reactions: akamatsu

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sorry that you are going through this. It must be frustrating and even panic inducing. I learned my lesson about the beta program. It's not for people like me.
Thanks Michael 🙂
As you say, it's very frustrating!!!

But the fault is on me: why shut down the DSM before the update is done, even if it takes time? It's stupid 🙄

Reactions: akamatsu

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I don't know what will follow:
– a new distant process by Linn help line,
– a computer process at my Linn dealer store,
– a (long) trip to Glasgow 😱

This little thread is also for the ones who could make the same mistake (if any)…!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Michael 🙂
As you say, it's very frustrating!!!

But the fault is on me: why shut down the DSM before the update is done, even if it takes time? It's stupid 🙄
But you didn't know. It wasn't working so intuitively you did what I probably would've done. Perhaps many would've done the same. It's not your fault. Make sure you are clear about this when speaking with the dealer. I don't think you are really that sure you even turned it off. Maybe it just happened on it's own. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Chris 1970

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But you didn't know. It wasn't working so intuitively you did what I probably would've done. Perhaps many would've done the same. It's not your fault. Make sure you are clear about this when speaking with the dealer. I don't think you are really that sure you even turned it off. Maybe it just happened on it's own. ;)
I agree. If the update process takes that long and is not reporting anything, our computer update experience says power cycle and try again.
Right?

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree. If the update process takes that long and is not reporting anything, our computer update experience says power cycle and try again.
Right?
That was my logic, and the beginning of my fall… :)

• Sad
Reactions: dikki

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had the same with my Organik 350 not playing after NGKH update failed on iPad so used manage linn on my PC, reinstalled no problem. Hope it works for you.

Thanks for your response.

What is « manage linn »? An application?
Or are you talking about the Linn Konfig?

Peter_P

Music makes the world a better place.
Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Caution Chris!

If you have selected the exakt filters for the Komris via Konfig so far, you should stay with Konfig when trying to revive the Klimax exakt boxes.

If you switch to 'Manage Systems', you will be offered a different filter for the Komris. Here it is called "Standard" - Filter. The important thing is that the assignment of the channels changes:

Above: Komri filter from Konfig

Below: Komri-filter from 'Manage Systems’

Komrifilters.jpg

• Thanks

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Caution Chris!

If you have selected the exakt filters for the Komris via Konfig so far, you should stay with Konfig when trying to revive the Klimax exakt boxes.

If you switch to 'Manage Systems', you will be offered a different filter for the Komris. Here it is called "Standard" - Filter. The important thing is that the assignment of the channels changes:

Above: Komri filter from Konfig

Below: Komri-filter from 'Manage Systems’

Komrifilters.jpg

So strange! Thanks!

In my different tests, I have also seen this "standard" filter on the Linn Manage Systems. But I couldn't apply it as only one EB was present, not 2.

So in the future, with the Konfig disparition, that means all cables starting from the EB have to be moved… hummmm…

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had the same with my Organik 350 not playing after NGKH update failed on iPad so used manage linn on my PC, reinstalled no problem. Hope it works for you.
Thanks Nigel 🙂

But the first switch off has destroyed the ability to the left EB to be seen by Konfig, or Manage systems…

fredbatch

Wammer
Nov 1, 2018
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope you get this sorted soon Chris.

Only skimmed above so please ignore if you have done all this...(too many cooks?)

Device recovery procedure:

Konfig > Advanced tab > browse (to relevant downloaded firmware release zip file) > Restore.

Firmware releases are available and listed here for downloading (may have to check with Linn which is relevant file):

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/linn-artifacts-firmware/index.html#VersionInfo/Downloads/Releases.

When complete, goto Konfig > Exakt > Restore...and follow usual prodedure from there.

Also, the following is stated on the Linn website:
What if I have problems updating my Exakt devices?

Don't panic, the update process is safe, so you will always be able to recover your device

• Normally your Exakt devices will update seemlessly as part of the standard DS/DSM update process.
  • Make sure that your PC/MAC is connected via a WIRED network connection to the LAN. (WiFi connections can be unreliable).
  • Restart Konfig. If your Exakt device appears under Exakt Setup and there is no Update button, the update was successful and you are done.
  • Restart Konfig. If your Exakt device appears under Exakt Setup and there IS an Update button, the update was unsuccessful, click Update to try again.
  • If this fails, power cycle your Exakt device and the connected DS/DSM device and try again.
  • If this fails, follow the device recovery process below:
  • Put BOTH your Exakt device and connected DS/DSM into fallback (from the buttons on the back of the devices).
  • Find the connected DS/DSM in the Update tab and click Update.
  • If you have an integrated Exakt speaker, this will fully update your Exakt device as well.
  • If you have an Exakt tunebox, you will be prompted at the end of the update to enter your speaker serial number from the Exakt Setup tab to complete the update.

Last edited:

Coalboy68

Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry Chris, was as Akamatsu said manage system on the windows PC, via linn website, link if you scroll to the bottom of the linn front page. I also could not see my 350 in Konfig, but via PC access via the linn web page it all reinstalled. Much to my relief, with SO2.

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to @Peter_P , the right EB is playing music! 😓

All his help today couldn’t wake up the left EB…
I hope Linn will have a distant solution, but not sure at all, after all these tests.

Will see. 😊

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The left Exaktbox came back from Glasgow!
🥳

Well…… I still don’t know how a (not smart) switch off of the DSM hub has broke one of the Exaktboxes!?!

Because it has: Linn changed the complete Organik card!

So now, I have to wait the burn in of this card… 🤪

First day, it was not good at all: lower level vs right Komri, big lake of air…
Day 2 (with music since 24 hours), better but still not a coherent system.
Not a surprise.🙂

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The left Exaktbox came back from Glasgow!
🥳

Well…… I still don’t know how a (not smart) switch off of the DSM hub has broke one of the Exaktboxes!?!

Because it has: Linn changed the complete Organik card!

So now, I have to wait the burn in of this card… 🤪

First day, it was not good at all: lower level vs right Komri, big lake of air…
Day 2 (with music since 24 hours), better but still not a coherent system.
Not a surprise.
It should sound correct immediately. There's no way there should be an imbalance in sound level between speakers. Check the balance control.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles