Linn Owners

Davaar 99 Beta

John B

Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Swanage
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw Davaar 99 Beta available in Konfig for my Majik DSM/1 today and triggered the update. Unfortunately the update failed (first time that's happened to me) and the documented restore procedure doesn't seem to be working ("Device temporarily unavailable, please retry" - repeatedly). Anyone else experiencing this?
Just an update on my MDSM. Linn customer support talked me through some recovery procedures, but my MDSM remained stubbornly in fallback mode. However, my local Linn dealer, with direct access to the actual engineers at the Linn factory, were able to restore the MDSM, and it's now happily on the most recent stable release of Davaar. I don't know whether this episode was due to a general problem with Davaar 99 beta or just a hiccup suffered by my MDSM. I'll be steering clear of beta software for a while, anyway.

A shout-out now for my local Linn dealer Stone Audio. I didn't buy my kit from them, and have never even previously visited their showroom, but they invited me in at zero notice and were happy to engage the Glasgow experts to resuscitate my MDSM. Excellent service.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A question for those that have updated, or know they have updates available, to 98. Did this update appear in the Updates page in your Linn account?

I still don’t see it in my account (or Konfig, for that matter) for any of my DS. The beta 99 does show in Konfig.

’troll

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It appeared in the Update page for my KDSM v3 Organik but not for my other two DSs. The update for the older DSs only appeared in Konfig
I suspect that when the older ones are updated to 99 that future updates will appear in the Linn Update section

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is Davaar 98 not just for Klimax models? (Think I remember seeing this in Linndoc notes )Pretty sure my AEDSM went from Davaar 97 to 99 Beta.

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Luckily I can’t see 99 anywhere! Konfig or Manage Systems, or the Linn app. I know I’ve got a discontinued product so maybe that’s why?

I can’t see the attraction of getting something the day it’s released as there are often hiccups and the existing version has been fine for weeks or months, so what’s the rush?

(My phone tells me there’s a new update for our BMW’s OS, but I’m loathe to install that immediately because last time it wiped all my radio Favourites. Hardly mission-critical, but not very user-friendly.)

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Luckily I can’t see 99 anywhere! Konfig or Manage Systems, or the Linn app. I know I’ve got a discontinued product so maybe that’s why?
Do you have beta switched on in Konfig, for those devices?

’troll

Reactions: uk030

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you have beta switched on in Konfig, for those devices?

’troll
No. That must be why then? I was reading this as though 99 was in beta but was now “live”. Had also thought Update Systems appearing in the online account meant I’d got a newer version.

Must’ve misunderstood, sorry.

Reactions: Moomintroll

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It appeared in the Update page for my KDSM v3 Organik but not for my other two DSs. The update for the older DSs only appeared in Konfig
I suspect that when the older ones are updated to 99 that future updates will appear in the Linn Update section
After updating to 97 Konfig message said no further updates available go to Linn account for further updates.(No 98 only for Klimax models AFAIK )Then 99 came up on Konfig beta (confusing), downloaded it and then went to Linn acc and update was available so updated that too . All settings and updates are now available on Linn acc.

Last edited:

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I’ll just stick by my decision to wait until 99 is a stable release and not beta.

’troll

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably safer but I’ve had no problems on beta updates 🤞 I’m sure it won’t be long until the stable release is available .Think I’ll keep Konfig running for quite some time or at least a couple of updates have been released on the Linn app 👍

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had no problems on beta updates 🤞
Once had an input on my KEDSM switch from Variable to Fixed - frightened the life out of me…

’troll

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should think it did!!o_O Think I'll opt out of Konfig Beta just to be on the safe side ,according to Linndocs it doesn't downgrade software so will still be able to use Linn acc at latest software 4.99.485 and hopefully have no glitches when updates are available 🤞

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
KRDS/1 here. Davar 99 offered through Konfig. Seems to have updated correctly although it did take MUCH longer than previous updates.
Good to hear(y) have you updated on Linn app yet ? takes even longer and no progress bar just the spinning wheel 😴 took about 15-20 mins for me but all good with no glitches so far(y)

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok maybe the Klimax was already updatable ? When I went to the Linn app there was an update for my AEDSM after I had updated to Davaar 99 on Konfig beta . All seems good though 🤞

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok maybe the Klimax was already updatable ? When I went to the Linn app there was an update for my AEDSM after I had updated to Davaar 99 on Konfig beta . All seems good though 🤞
I checked in my Linn Account and there is an option in advanced for which channel the Software Update Feed comes from. I changed this to BETA and some time after (not immediately) an update became available and has updated quickly.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This was posted on the Linn Development Forum earlier :

It looks like there is an issue with software version number reporting on older products (those that previously used the zip file mechanism for updating).

To give a bit of background... we build and test firmware each night. Those builds are given a version number of 4.0.xxxx (and never released). When a particular build is ready to be released to beta - we just take the nightly build that passed test and change the version number to represent a release (i.e. 4.99.485). It looks like the version number change did not make it through correctly (something that can only be tested with a beta release - so thank you very much for spotting this!). Rest assured, 4.0.1977 is the nightly build that was used to create the Davaar 99 beta - so you are on the beta firmware even though it reports an odd version.

For clarification, if the version number reports as 4.97.475, you are still on the latest stable release and have not updated to the beta firmware.

Also, if you are on the latest stable version of Linn app it will support system updates once you have updated to the next Davaar 99 beta (after we fix this version reporting issue).

’troll

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tried to update my KDSM Renew 2011 Variant just now. The update failed and I had to do a restore to factory default.
Not sure where I go from here.
Its now on Version Fw822_4.92.459. So I may try updating it to Fw822_4.97.475 which is the latest production version. Then try the update to 99 again.
I have not tried to update my KDSM v3 Organik to 99 , will wait until more people have tried this :)
I updated to 4.97.475 which was successful
I then updated to 4.99.485 which was also successful :)
So doing the intermediate update sorted it or just doing it again - who knows

Reactions: uk030 and LSPC

uk030

DSM guy
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Berlin, Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My ADSM was a bit of a bumpy road. Notified me about an update even though it was already on .99, then reported it was in fallback mode, then did a scarily long update, but after a few minutes holding my breath it just finished the update an was fine again.

That said I still think it's glorious what Linn did here. Think about it - their software platform is more than 15 years old, nonetheless they managed to get even the oldest devices to update directly from the web. I have a really old Sneaky DS in my kitchen, bought second hand a few years back, and it also went to 4.99.489 without much ado, initiated via Kazoo on Windows, believe it or not. Amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles