Linn Owners

Daisy Chaining LK Power Amps

Badger72

New Wammer
Jan 5, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I am new to Linn power amps. I've just bought a 2nd hand LK85 for my system and am loving how it has improved the SQ. I have been trying to find out more info about how I would go about doubling up and using two......so I have some questions.

1 - If I add another (with the output from the one I have into a 2nd one and plug one speaker into each), does that turn them into mono mode / increase the power output? OR can you only use them to feed a stereo feed to bi-wireable/bi-ampable speaker?? I have a pair of KEF LS 50s, with only single binding posts....so if that is the only way it works, that's no good for me.

2 - If I can daisy chain and use one for each speaker, what does that mean for power into 8ohms?

3 - If its not a goer due to my speakers, would I be better to sell the LK85 and get the 140 instead?

Many thanks.

B

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here’s the manual - https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/3/35/Lk85_lk140_user_manual_rev2.pdf

I believe it answers all of your questions. If it doesn’t, then come back.

They‘re stereo power amps, so you’d only be using one channel if you connected one speaker, it wouldn’t operate in mono (bridged) mode and wouldn’t affect the power output.

If you had bi-wireable speakers, you could remove the crossover links and use one LK85 for the treble and one for the bass. Unfortunately, you couldn’t do this with your speakers

’troll

Badger72

New Wammer
Jan 5, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here’s the manual - https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/3/35/Lk85_lk140_user_manual_rev2.pdf

I believe it answers all of your questions. If it doesn’t, then come back.

They‘re stereo power amps, so you’d only be using one channel if you connected one speaker, it wouldn’t operate in mono (bridged) mode and wouldn’t affect the power output.

If you had bi-wireable speakers, you could remove the crossover links and use one LK85 for the treble and one for the bass. Unfortunately, you couldn’t do this with your speakers

’troll
Thanks 'troll.

I looked at the manual as well as the other doc that's on the net about the 85/140. It wasn't clear, and it does specify that you'd daisy chain only for speakers with 4 or 6 binding posts per speaker, so that you used one for the bass and other for the treble.

However, you've answered my question.....so I'll prob just keep an eye out for the LK140 and sell this one.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles