Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After 3 fine matches so far this week, the ITV4 IPL T20 fun cricket reaches its final 2 (of 74) today/tomorrow.

Malinga plays in Chennai (formerly spicy hot Madras) today rather than in Cardiff for SL.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm still watching the proceedings in Cardiff,

I have tried watching some of the IPL but would rather watch groundstaff getting rain off the covers at a Test Match :)

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I disagree, the IPL is great fun. Not "real" cricket, I grant you, but hugely entertaining. I can handle all guises of the game and will be watching the IPL final today, whilst being quietly excited about going to see the "pure" form at Lords, next Saturday :)

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I watched a fair bit of the world series and found about as much batting finesse as exists in any school 2nd X1 match on any sunday. A days sling and slog is more than I can take.

Test cricket only for me. Adding excitement is for the x-box generation who can't concentrate for more than 3 seconds. :)

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I can just about handle the 50-over game, but IPL is like It's a Knockout meets Bollywood. :sick:

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The "powers that be" claim that they have to appeal to the mass market in order to sustain interest in Test cricket. I say they are barking up the wrong tree. The sort of people taken in by the T20 crap are unlikely to have the attention span to even try watching the first day of a 5 day game.

T20 is not cricket. It's a game that appeals to the "instant gratification" school, and as such, should not be called cricket at all.

They should call it T20 Smash Down. This will find it's true market.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes. Watching bits of stuff from Cardiff yesterday/Sat. reminded me why T20 will succeed. And I like long boring games/great long games/great short games.

I confess that I have not really got into 'English' 20-20 vision (despite my lot Somer winning/'losing' in finals).

However, the IPL I first started watching 2009 (from South Africa...) is stunning, despite dancing girls etc. Chennai (obvious winners again) have dancing trousered lady-boys though.

I fail to comprehend how test-match-only devotees prefer Pietersen batting as opposed to seeing Gayle etc etc etc in IPL. The fielding in IPL has frequently been sublime/super catches etc etc. Even bowling has often been brill.

Probably the English are boring, being a mongrel collection of offspring from victorious invaders. I was the most boring batsman, disinclined to get dismissed/scoring if necessary. Ashes or something meaningful Test Cricket is ace.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes. Watching bits of stuff from Cardiff yesterday/Sat. reminded me why T20 will succeed. And I like long boring games/great long games/great short games.
But T20 is shit, even compared to a slow uneventful test like this one, it sucks, there's no ebb and flow, no elegance, no pressure on the skipper to make the right calls, no stroke play, no concept of a batsman getting himself in, no dramatc fight for a draw, no dramatic, tense pressured last day loking for those elusive 8,9th and 10th wickets.

I go to the T20 sometimes, it is fun, but compared to getng involved with a test match it's totally unsatisfying. Everything that is truly wonderful and great about Cricket is hilighted by the Test format, everything that is bad paractise and crass about Cricket is hilighted by the T20 format. T20 is a gret format for showing kids how to loose in any of the longer formats, even 40/40.

Reactions: Colinjg

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We - like millions in India - must agree to disagree.

Despite the 'Bollywood' (like there's no attempt to put that into the white-costumed game), there IS excellent captaincy/ebb and flow/wicket-loss pressure/best stroke play ever seen in ANY cricket in many many T20 matches - I know, because I've just watched on ITV about 74 (some rained off) ...

I agree that fortunately 3 of the last 4 'Ashes' have been brilliant.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I think the Sri Lankans have got the formats mixed up at Cardiff today

72-8 :shock:

So much for a weather affected draw.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But T20 is shit, even compared to a slow uneventful test like this one, it sucks, there's no ebb and flow, no elegance, no pressure on the skipper to make the right calls, no stroke play, no concept of a batsman getting himself in, no dramatc fight for a draw, no dramatic, tense pressured last day loking for those elusive 8,9th and 10th wickets.I go to the T20 sometimes, it is fun, but compared to getng involved with a test match it's totally unsatisfying. Everything that is truly wonderful and great about Cricket is hilighted by the Test format, everything that is bad paractise and crass about Cricket is hilighted by the T20 format. T20 is a gret format for showing kids how to loose in any of the longer formats, even 40/40.
:^

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
LOL, Sri Lanka's confidence must be well fucked now. All out for 82 in less than 25 overs, against a three-man attack.

Whitewash coming up? We need to go into the next one with five bowlers - no way do we need extra batsmen against Sri Lanka's pathetic attack. Drop KP, draft in extra bowlers. :^

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well there's a thing.

I switched on the highlights not knowing the result but expecting a boring draw.

:shock:

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well done ("5 day") cricket/England for nice end ... I expect someone also won at bookies ...

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There have been some interesting 1 day etc performances - well done to the Somerset (and England) lot who can be cack or corking.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is good to establish (judging by other people's new threads about cricket) that somehow (in this time of Rugby League Cup qf) some are still variously follow the summer cricket.

I have been unfortunate probably to miss the best of 'KP, but am glad that he stuck around through first wobbly day to yesterday's declaration. IMO on 1st day India would have been 76-7, but I expect them now to retaliate with 600-2 dec.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles