Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a boxed T40 some years back, I must admit I didn't listen to it much as I didn't have a decent reception where I lived and when I moved a couple of years ago it was boxed up and put away, until now.....

Plugged into the TV aerial socket I'm getting pretty good reception (I've also left the ribbon aerial attached) and forgot just how good it sounds, especially wth classic/jazz music. My first hifi was a NAD receiver and I listened to radio on that a lot (back in the days of John Peel etc.).

The Creek does suffer from station drift (something I've read about being an issue with them) and it's completely manual. It sounds great but I am wondering now, given the bargains out there, of buying another FM tuner.

How would say a NAD tuner compare? Or what other noteworthy tuners were there from the 80's/90's?

Reactions: newlash09

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a boxed T40 some years back, I must admit I didn't listen to it much as I didn't have a decent reception where I lived and when I moved a couple of years ago it was boxed up and put away, until now.....

Plugged into the TV aerial socket I'm getting pretty good reception (I've also left the ribbon aerial attached) and forgot just how good it sounds, especially wth classic/jazz music. My first hifi was a NAD receiver and I listened to radio on that a lot (back in the days of John Peel etc.).

The Creek does suffer from station drift (something I've read about being an issue with them) and it's completely manual. It sounds great but I am wondering now, given the bargains out there, of buying another FM tuner.

How would say a NAD tuner compare? Or what other noteworthy tuners were there from the 80's/90's?
The Nad T series came highly recommended when I was searching for a tuner a few years back.

Reactions: Mightyquin

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still have and the occasionally use my Sansuii T-500L, it was a top rated budget tuner in the mid-late 80s

Reactions: Mightyquin

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Great tuner had one quite a few years and traded it when it started drifting I was gutted and wish I thought about having it serviced but that was before I was more internet savvy.
lovely with the black ash case.(y)

Mightyquin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great tuner had one quite a few years and traded it when it started drifting I was gutted and wish I thought about having it serviced but that was before I was more internet savvy.
lovely with the black ash case.(y)
The drifting was 'built in' from new - apparently they fixed it in the T40 s3 version.

I picked up a Denon TU-260L last night, another highly rated tuner in its day. I've tried a couple of quick comparisons and must say to my ears the Creek does sound noticeably better, BUT the Denon doesn't drift and has station pre-sets.

Hmmm.

Reactions: Mr Kandid

Mightyquin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been comparting the T40 to the Denon (which was highly regarded in its day) and have to say that the Creek is significantly better in terms of sound quality, although the Denon is very nice.

Live recordings have much more space/depth to them, you really feel like you could be there, whereas the Denon sounds a bit compressed or 'boxed in' in comparison, you don't get so much detail, to my ears.

I'm torn because the Creek is annoying when it drifts and there's no pre sets. But it would be a shame not to enjoy it's great sound while it lasts.

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just found my old creek t40 in the garage,paid £15 for it around 5 years ago and when I hooked it up this morning I remembered why I put it in the garage ( badly drifting ), I then realised that since then I’ve amassed quite a few capacitors and I happen to have all but one so around an hour ago I set about replacing them , plugged it into my Croft integrated and hey presto no more drifting. 😊

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles