Connecting Innuos Zen Mini to streamer

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I have a Zen Mini mk3 and I noticed there’s a Streamer output on the back. I was thinking.. why is that output there, as the Zen is a streamer itself already right?
Anyone explored this function yet? It would for example be nice to use a new interface to control the songs etc as I’m not that big of a fan of Innuos Sense. And now that Eversolo streamer is out it seems nice to have a view of what album is playing etc.

Lancslinn

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
Lancashire UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I have a Zen Mini mk3 and I noticed there’s a Streamer output on the back. I was thinking.. why is that output there, as the Zen is a streamer itself already right?
Anyone explored this function yet? It would for example be nice to use a new interface to control the songs etc as I’m not that big of a fan of Innuos Sense. And now that Eversolo streamer is out it seems nice to have a view of what album is playing etc.
I have a Zen Mini Mk3 and I use it as a server to feed my Linn Akurate DS. So, I rip my cds onto the Zen and they are stored there. When I want to listen I use Linn software on my iPad to play whatever album, tracks or playlist through the DS. Which, in this case, is the DAC. The DS is also a streamer. The DAC in the Zen is entry level. Good but you have to move up the Innuos range to get something that really sings. If you are using the Zen as your streamer then it may be worth getting an Innuos power supply to help the onboard DAC. Better than the little wart that it comes with.

Reactions: Ceko

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Zen Mini Mk3 and I use it as a server to feed my Linn Akurate DS. So, I rip my cds onto the Zen and they are stored there. When I want to listen I use Linn software on my iPad to play whatever album, tracks or playlist through the DS. Which, in this case, is the DAC. The DS is also a streamer. The DAC in the Zen is entry level. Good but you have to move up the Innuos range to get something that really sings. If you are using the Zen as your streamer then it may be worth getting an Innuos power supply to help the onboard DAC. Better than the little wart that it comes with.
I have a very good onboard DAC on my amp that I feed with the Zen so that’s not really my concern. The playback software is a bit meh though and Spotify Connect is even more meh. So a separate streamer would be a big plus if it doesn’t effect the performance of the Zen.

So if you connect your Linn then the Zen acts only as a NAS, is that right?

Lancslinn

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
Lancashire UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a very good onboard DAC on my amp that I feed with the Zen so that’s not really my concern. The playback software is a bit meh though and Spotify Connect is even more meh. So a separate streamer would be a big plus if it doesn’t effect the performance of the Zen.

So if you connect your Linn then the Zen acts only as a NAS, is that right?
Yep, that’s it. In fact bought the Zen to replace a NAS that I had to upload to after ripping a cd onto a computer using db poweramp.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: tuga and Ceko

justinhd

Wammer
Aug 25, 2016
London
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no issues using the Zen as a streamer. Had a Node2i with Zen as music server but not really practical to have two devices so just use the Zen with Qobuz feed. Yes the interface is meh as is the Qobuz one. If Zen could integrate with Apple or Amazon it would be a no brainer.

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no issues using the Zen as a streamer. Had a Node2i with Zen as music server but not really practical to have two devices so just use the Zen with Qobuz feed. Yes the interface is meh as is the Qobuz one. If Zen could integrate with Apple or Amazon it would be a no brainer.
So if you would play ripped CD’s, would those be played through the Node? The longer I look at the possibilities the more I’m thinking of using an Eversolo. So Zen -> Eversolo via ethernet -> the dac of my amp via coax spdif

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yesterday I asked the rep if I could browse by list. His reply was that could search any way I liked. Not a clue...
Searching implies knowing what you want to play whilst browsing means wandering through the music collection hoping for the 'right' album to pop up. That's why I struggle with streaming services.

justinhd

Wammer
Aug 25, 2016
London
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So if you would play ripped CD’s, would those be played through the Node? The longer I look at the possibilities the more I’m thinking of using an Eversolo. So Zen -> Eversolo via ethernet -> the dac of my amp via coax spdif
I rip CDS and play them from the Zen. The Node can front the Zen but then you still have two streaming capable devices. If starting again I would go with the Eversolo into a DAC of choice with NAS of ripped CDs. The occasional CD I would rip on a pc with cheap USB drive. If you need have a ton of CDs to rip and need a music server then the Zen or similar could make sense. Depends on use case and budget.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yesterday I asked the rep if I could browse by list. His reply was that could search any way I liked. Not a clue...
Searching implies knowing what you want to play whilst browsing means wandering through the music collection hoping for the 'right' album to pop up. That's why I struggle with streaming services.
I am using my Auralic Aries Mini with QoBuz at the moment. I am listening to a Stevie Wonder album that I specifically chose to listen to. But whilst listening I now want to browse and QuBoz automatically shows me all of the Stevie Wonder albums, including any compilations or soundtracks he has been on and also people who have covered Stevie Wonder songs. I then did a search for ‘jazz’ QoBuz showed me a list of key artists and songs and albums and playlists within this genre for me to browse. Against each heading eg Album I can click ‘more’ and it shows me album covers of albums to browse. I click on John Coltrane Blue Train and QoBuz also shows me all Coltrane albums so I can continue browsing and browsing without searching. What browsing do you like to do and how is it different to this approach?

By the way if this was Innuos it’s more sophisticated still as I can click on Metadata to browse even more intuitively.

Last edited:

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After 2 years of Innuos ownership, I would never go back to NAS based streaming, just damn clumsy and the sound is arguably worse.

The streamer in Innuos devices is pretty good, but as always you need to optimise the path.

Reactions: Lancslinn and DomT

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Strange, people are picking the Eversolo when they have no experience of it.

2 streamers does not make sense, why not get one with everything you need?

Reactions: Nestor Turton

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you name one with cd ripping capabilities, good streaming capabilities and a great interface as well?
What is wrong with the Innuos?

Several members say that it is very good. You think the EverSolo is better?

EverSolo seem to have a few issues.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you name one with cd ripping capabilities, good streaming capabilities and a great interface as well?
Innuos. Innuos has the best app on the market. I am temporarily using my back up Auralic Aries Mini because I have just given my wife my other streamer. So long as the TP Link Wi-Fi extender works well today and doesn’t cause problems with my valve gear then I will buy an Innuos Pulse. It will cost a lot more than the Eversolo but it’s such a great product it seems to be a default choice for me. If the TP Link doesn’t work well with my valve amps then I will either get a Naim or an Auralic because their apps are good and their players sound great.

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
What is wrong with the Innuos?

Several members say that it is very good. You think the EverSolo is better?

EverSolo seem to have a few issues.
Nothing, in my experience. I don't use a NAS and still play my CDs and SACDs the old fashioned way, but note that the latest Sense update has added even more sophistication to the search options. Still use BluOS in a second system.
The only thing Meh about the Pulse would be to sully it with low res Spotify, imho

InnuOS 2.4

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: StingRay and DomT

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing, in my experience. I don't use a NAS and still play my CDs and SACDs the old fashioned way, but note that the latest Sense update has added even more sophistication to the search options. Still use BluOS in a second system.
The only thing Meh about the Pulse would be to sully it with low res Spotify, imho

InnuOS 2.4
The Innuos Sense platform is just getting better and better. They seem so determined. The features in 2.4 are seriously great. Sound clearly is important but having such an advanced app makes it such a more pleasurable and interesting experience.

Reactions: Lancslinn

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Innuos or the Node interface is meh? Surely you cannot be saying that it’s the Innuos? It seems that everyone who has tried both says that the Innuos is more advanced than the Node.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online