Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The cabinets are immaculate and as close to mint condition as you are likely to find on a pair of legacy loudspeakers (manufactured around 25 years ago). Made in the UK by Castle in Yorkshire - well known for the quality of their cabinet making. These are as much pieces of furniture as they are speakers.
These as small floor-standers. There is no ‘sun fading’ to the wood which you so often see when speaker grilles are left in place.
In my opinion, these speakers produce a (slightly) warmish sound. I would call them relaxed and certainly not "bright" sounding. I've used them with vinyl and various iterations of digital. I can listen to them for hours without feeling any fatigue on the ears.
They are currently being used in a second system.
There is some light marking on both tweeters which I have been advised (by someone who repairs speakers) that visually they could be brought back to A1 condition by re-doping but that this would have no bearing on SQ. I've never pursued this. I'm happy to take some more photos if required by anyone.
Technical; 47Hz - 20kHz 8 ohm 2 way speaker 150mm bass/mid range unit - carbon fibre. Sensitivity - 1w/1m @ 87dB Dimension; 770mm tall, 200mm wide, 230mm deep
I currently have them connected to a 35 watt digital amp and they perform beautifully.
In my main system, they’ve also been happily running with a 50 watt Rega Brio amp.
I do have the boxes but haven't taken photos.
These are collection only although I would be prepared to meet up along the M4 corridor, between Chippenham and Newbury (subject to prior arrangements being made).
£275. REDUCED TO £250 26 Nov
If by chance, anyone is looking for a less expensive pair of floor standers, then I do have a pair of Castle Avons which I'd planned to hold on to and run in my second system. They produce a fuller sound than the Severns (slightly bigger enclosure, bigger mid bass unit but same tweeter) and although I've happily displayed them in my lounge, the cabinets are not the same quality as these Severns. Visually, the tweeters in the Avons are immaculate and measure 6.8 ohms.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• A7302989 (2).JPG
    A7302989 (2).JPG
    988.8 KB · Views: 21
  • A7302991 (2).JPG
    A7302991 (2).JPG
    972.8 KB · Views: 22
  • A7302992 (2).JPG
    A7302992 (2).JPG
    996.4 KB · Views: 23
  • A7302995 (2).JPG
    A7302995 (2).JPG
    745.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: Lokes

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair and they are fine speakers,
quite capable of revealing tweaks to the system further upstream.
This week I've replaced the 6n6p valves in my DAC with some NOS from 1965 ,
the difference was much greater than I had anticipated and the Severns revealed the improvements,
A bargain at the asking price

Reactions: Cool Dude Ted

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bump.
I’m happy to consider offers close to asking or for current price, to include the spare set of Castle tweeters that I have.

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Weekend bump.
Price reduced to £250.
I’ll include the spare tweeters (immaculate & measuring fine) if that makes a difference to anyone.
Ditto the spare crossovers, which I was holding on to for no obvious reason!
Thanks

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bump.
Beautiful cabinets and a really pleasant SQ. I find there is more than enough bass on these speakers.
Seems a shame to leave them languishing in my 2nd system. They are far too good for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles