burning hashbrowns in stainless

Anniecl20

New Wammer
Jun 7, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to be able to make perfect hash browns every time. Brown, crispy, perfectly done. This was in a 12" cast iron skillet on on electric stove.

We got a gas stove and bought expensive stainless steel cookware. I have now ruined hashbrowns five times in a row and cannot figure it out.

They stick and burn just a little bit, which prevents heat transfer and makes them mushy and gross. I am using peanut oil and never turn the burner past 2 out of 10. I let the pan preheat slowly - at least eight minutes - use 2 Tbsp of oil (as before) - and put the potatoes in when the oil just starts to smoke.

What am I doing wrong?

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to be able to make perfect hash browns every time. Brown, crispy, perfectly done. This was in a 12" cast iron skillet on on electric stove.

We got a gas stove and bought expensive stainless steel cookware. I have now ruined hashbrowns five times in a row and cannot figure it out.

They stick and burn just a little bit, which prevents heat transfer and makes them mushy and gross. I am using peanut oil and never turn the burner past 2 out of 10. I let the pan preheat slowly - at least eight minutes - use 2 Tbsp of oil (as before) - and put the potatoes in when the oil just starts to smoke.

What am I doing wrong?
Can’t you still use the iron skillet? I would have thought that is providing very even heat distribution whereas the new pans conduct better but unevenly.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love a good hash brown, I now cook them in an air fryer, which is quite effective. Do you have a favourite brand or even make your own?

ESK

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Euan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could be your pan is to cold to start with.

Heat it over a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the oil.

Add a bit of your hash to the pan and if it doesn't sizzle then it is still too cool.

Add your hash and then leave it to seal then flip.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
edit: rapeseed (or 'vegetable') oil can cook at higher temperatures without smoking

it can still smoke at higher temperature

if the oil smokes is it too hot?

possibly - depends what you are cooking and how long it smokes for.

If i am frying a bavette for example, i will get my pan smoking hot (no oil). I will either then add a drop of oil to the pan - fry the steak for 2 mins per side - rest for 5.

I suspect for the OP - too much oil, at too hot a temperature. Shouldn't #browns be deep fried? We buy them ready made and frozen and cook in the oven.

zari212

New Wammer
Jun 24, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could be your pan is to cold to start with.

Heat it over a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the oil.

Add a bit of your hash to the pan and if it doesn't sizzle then it is still too cool.

Add your hash and then leave it to seal then flip.
thank you very much i will try it right away

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And stainless doesn't transmit heat very well, which is how our pans can use a stainless handle without burning our fingers. And when welding stainless, one has to be careful not to distort the metal by trying to weld in one long run.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And stainless doesn't transmit heat very well, which is how our pans can use a stainless handle without burning our fingers. And when welding stainless, one has to be careful not to distort the metal by trying to weld in one long run.
my fastest heating pan is stainless

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online