Bulk messages for important forum update info?

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This morning I went into the classified section for a browse and just happened to notice a new post on the pinned thread at the top regarding how to use the section. I'd not seen it and had a read, finding out the excellent work that Roo has done on enabling a quick button feature for sold items. I hadn't seen this message before, or noticed the button, and it occurred to me that probably most of the forum members won't ever see this message as we tend not to re-read these threads or others containing forum update info. I like to think I try to keep up on what's happening and make the effort to check the majority of threads but even I missed this, so I suspect many other have done too.

So I wondered if perhaps the mods / admins (and ONLY them!) had a facility whereby they could drop a PM into every member's inbox when they make major or significant updates to the forum, containing a link to any relevant posts, so that people are made aware of them? Otherwise I suspect a lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes and we don't know, or there's a change to policy that catches people out (minumum posts before being able to use the classifieds, for example), or just new features. Witness the recent threads all about dark mode, which has been available for ages and yet some people are only just finding out about.

I thought it might be a good way to communicate these changes out to all of us. I suspect 99% of members will notice and read a message in their inbox as opposed to casually browsing every section and noticing the update info.

As emphasised above, and to avoid the horrid situation of spam, I'm only thinking about this mass-mailing approach for things like this, and therefore only site owners, admins and potentially moderators ought to have the power.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Much as most wammers don't RTFM, many don't RTF emails either :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, as Paul points out. Bulk email send is not a minor issue.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Much as most wammers don't RTFM, many don't RTF emails either :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, as Paul points out. Bulk email send is not a minor issue.
Bulk PM might be less onerous though...

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This morning I went into the classified section for a browse and just happened to notice a new post on the pinned thread at the top regarding how to use the section. I'd not seen it and had a read, finding out the excellent work that Roo has done on enabling a quick button feature for sold items. I hadn't seen this message before, or noticed the button, and it occurred to me that probably most of the forum members won't ever see this message as we tend not to re-read these threads or others containing forum update info. I like to think I try to keep up on what's happening and make the effort to check the majority of threads but even I missed this, so I suspect many other have done too.

So I wondered if perhaps the mods / admins (and ONLY them!) had a facility whereby they could drop a PM into every member's inbox when they make major or significant updates to the forum, containing a link to any relevant posts, so that people are made aware of them? Otherwise I suspect a lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes and we don't know, or there's a change to policy that catches people out (minumum posts before being able to use the classifieds, for example), or just new features. Witness the recent threads all about dark mode, which has been available for ages and yet some people are only just finding out about.

I thought it might be a good way to communicate these changes out to all of us. I suspect 99% of members will notice and read a message in their inbox as opposed to casually browsing every section and noticing the update info.

As emphasised above, and to avoid the horrid situation of spam, I'm only thinking about this mass-mailing approach for things like this, and therefore only site owners, admins and potentially moderators ought to have the power.
I did post a "bump" message in that thread in order to make the changes more visible, but there could be a better way.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oooo, perhaps I didn't quite explain myself clearly. I'm not talking about email, good grief no! As mentioned, a lot could end up in spam folders anyway and there's potential cost. What I meant was using the forum's "Conversation" (PM) functionality - pop a message automatically into everyone's inbox there to be read. I'm assuming that wouldn't incur any costs?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We'll ask.

I'm not sure it's possible or not. The issue may be that it takes a substantial amount of data storage. Or it may be a piece of whatsit. Or it may not even be possible, short of doing it one by one.

Reactions: Tony_J

WamAdmin

👻
Staff member
Mar 19, 2020
AKA
Admin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll just jump in here, there is a big list of the updates coming soon, Couple things I need to finalise before it is dispatched to the forum publicly. But yes as @savvypaul has said, with the forum being so old and there being A LOT of outdated emails... sending forum wide emails is near impossible but we are working on this.

but yes batch in forum messages is doable and it something we are working on.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll just jump in here, there is a big list of the updates coming soon, Couple things I need to finalise before it is dispatched to the forum publicly. But yes as @savvypaul has said, with the forum being so old and there being A LOT of outdated emails... sending forum wide emails is near impossible but we are working on this.

but yes batch in forum messages is doable and it something we are working on.
One good thing from bulk emails, @Tony_J could send ‘the beers are on me’ at the next show 😂

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles