Bristol Show 2023 - Danger, trip caution!

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gosh Nick, so sorry to read about this. Bristol's footpaths leave a lot to be desired - I noticed a lot of uneven, broken and missing slabs all over the place, plus intrusion from tree roots. Like the majority of us I'd say you definitely have a valid claim there.

I do hope that you're on the mend quickly and fighting fit

• Thanks
Reactions: Nopiano

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

That pavement looks terrible to me, but that is the standard I expect in Bristol with its waste of money mayor that nobody wants. I wish you every success in claiming compensation from them. The roads and pavements are in a really poor state throughout the area.

I did think of attending, but decided against it. I’m glad I stayed home.

• Thanks

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I truly appreciate all the kind words and thoughts. Thank you very much.

Felt brighter yesterday, but a bit flat today. Still no feeling in upper jaw/teeth, rather like a permanent dentist jab. Bruising turning yellow so that’s in the right direction, I think.

Hope to call a law firm later - who I know from my working days - so will see what they say.

Updated:- I have an appointment on Wednesday at the Maxillofacial Trauma Clinic, which is part of the Dental Hospital apparently. Thank goodness I’m an outpatient!

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, not Bristol’s clean air zone. Much more mundane. And painful.

On my way there yesterday morning, walking from Cabot Circus carpark at 10:10 I tripped on an uneven paving slab. Only the pavement broke my fall. No time to reach out. Face took the impact!

Two buildings down from the Show hotel is the Castlemead office block. The paving in front of their building is severely compromised. The reception staff kindly called an ambulance. Paramedics sent me to A&E at Bristol Royal infirmary. I was there until 8pm. Upshot:- After Nurse, doctor, x rays and CT scan, then Maxillary surgeon, I have shattered sinus, two fractured bones around eye socket. Might need operation, Registrar deciding next week. All staff were excellent I must add.

TAKE CARE! I simply didn’t spot the defects in time.

Last picture is this morning. Roughly 24 hours from first pic to last.

5F8D7FA7-C32A-4749-8922-E283BE8DC098.jpeg

75FB6E6F-6548-43AD-8835-8664A9DDAD9F.jpeg F9BD9C37-2BF5-47B8-A761-1EE48EE6A3B1.jpeg
Yikes, that was nasty. Definitely sounds like a compensation case! Hope you feel better soon and get some compensation for your trauma.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

davidf

Wammer
Oct 21, 2017
Sorry to hear that Nick - get well soon. I believe there’s a limit to how high a pavement can be before it is no longer legal - you may have a case there.

• Thanks

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear that Nick - get well soon. I believe there’s a limit to how high a pavement can be before it is no longer legal - you may have a case there.
Thanks, David. Was hoping I’d see you too!

Re the height, I’ve read it’s one inch, but I’m aiming to return tomorrow en route to my outpatients appointment. Will take more pics and check with a lawyer I think.

Reactions: davidf

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's terrible, not to mention having to miss the show and ruin the pent up excitement. Wishing you a speedy recovery to both your health and your usual good spirits sir.

• Thanks

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The good news is that despite the two fractures around the eye socket, and the shattered sinus, it should all heal naturally with just a small cheekbone indentation to show for it. No need for an operation to correct eye muscles or sinus function - just cosmetic if my face looked wonky. They think it’ll be almost unnoticeable, and I certainly don’t want to go under the knife unless essential. A big relief.

The nerve damage should heal, so the paresthesia I currently have around nose, jaw and teeth - feels rather like when you get an upper jaw anaesthetic at the dentist - should clear up in a few months.

Professor Steven Thomas was my consultant and he was very reassuring. He took me though my CT scan, section by section. Fascinating, if slightly scary!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online