Bose QC 35 11 advice

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of these arriving on Mon (hopefully). They are part of my self isolation plan, with 6 of us all kicking about the house. I have wanted a pair of Bose NC headphones from when I first heard my Bro's (QC15?) connected to an original iPad, some years ago....but could never really justify the price. With the current situation and a great price on Amazon due to the release of the 700, I have taken a punt. The only fly in the ointment comes in the form of the Sony 1000X M3....which was a little more expensive.

When I started reading about Bluetooth Codecs, I entered a world of confusion and pain, so some of my questions are general and some are specific to the QC35s, which support SBC and AAC.

My Set Up

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (Core i5)

Apple iPhone 6...with maybe a 10 at a later date, which my Daughter could be trading up from.

Tidal at 16 bit quality on Laptop and through Tidal App

Laptop vs iPhone for quality

1. I understand that AAC generally works much better on Apple phones than Android ones - but what about Laptops?

2. Is AAC generally better than SBC - and which is my Laptop likely to use....or can I select either?

Bluetooth Mode

1. There are 3 settings for NC on the 35s (High/Low/Off).....and this is combined with Active EQ. When Off is selected - is the EQ still in operation?

2. Does the model of iPhone make a difference to the quality of streaming?

3. I think both Laptop and QC35 support Bluetooth 4.1?

Wired Mode

1. I assume this by-passes the DAC in the QC35 and uses the DAC in the Laptop?

2. Do the 3 settings for NC still work when Wired and the headphones switched on?

3. If the 3 setting are not available, what is? Active EQ only?

4. Has anyone tried using an AQ Dragonfly DAC, when plugging the 35s into the laptop? Did it make a worthwhile difference in either Active or Passive modes....or does the processing in the Headphones make this an expensive irrelevance?

5. If I plug the 35s directly into the Laptop, when playing Tidal - am I getting full CD quality (all be it through a compromised DAC)?

Firmware Update

There was apparently a firmware update that could make the NC performance noticeably worse. Is this still a thing? Is it something I should worry about?

Many thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by a moderator:

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Paulq  I believe you have the QC35ii. Have you tried them wired into a better DAC, either in Active or Passive mode?

I ask, in case it's worth getting something like an AQ Dragonfly Black/Red. The feedback on the Net varies from - Yes it's very worthwhile; to being a waste of money with NC headphones.

If you have any insight in maximising their performance - please share.

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do have them yes.  To be brief, my view is the latter - I have tried with AQ Cobalt and wasn't impressed.  FWIW my Sony WH-1000XM3's sound far better using LDAC.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do have them yes.  To be brief, my view is the latter - I have tried with AQ Cobalt and wasn't impressed.  FWIW my Sony WH-1000XM3's sound far better using LDAC.
Thx for that.

ATM. I don't have access to LDAC, as I use Apple. I went for the Bose, as I have heard previous models and found the sound pleasant....and I got a good deal, leaving them somewhat cheaper than the Sony. I knew they were light and very comfortable, so took a punt. 

I will assess over the next week, but unless serious weakness is found, I'll hold onto them.

Thanks again.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some feedback on my own questions - in case it's useful to anyone else:

Bluetooth

- NFC "Off", still has a little EQ

- QC35ii is Bluetooth 4.1

- AAC sounds a little better than SBC - but most Android devices don't handle AAC well

Wired

- The DAC in the Laptop is used

- All buttons disconnected in Active mode and the QC35ii default to NFC "High"

- From what I can tell, it is not worth getting a fancy DAC to plug the headphones into - might try and get my hands on a Dragonfly Black to try.

Firmware update problems:

Bose did extensive testing and this is what they found: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-Firmware-4-5-2-Noise-Cancellation-Investigation/m-p/285738/thread-id/56820

Sony WH 1000MX3

I haven't personally heard these, but from what I've read:

- They have the best, most versatile NC in the business

- The have more adjustable SQ/EQ/; USB/C; Longer Battery life; better BT range; more BT Codecs, including LDAC and AptX HD

- They are slightly heavier and probably seen as a little less comfortable/warmer on the ear - they have a shallower cup

- As I understand it, you can't alter the EQ when using LDAC - they have a Bass heavy presentation, which many think needs EQ

- Talk of controls not working so well when it's very cold

- Reports of clicking popping sound

- New MX3 model on horizon - though apparently doesn't support AptX 

Sound of QC35ii

They sound pleasant and inoffensive.....a bit like that computer generated re-performances of great artists, by Zenph The are not neutral, a bit bass heavy but reasonably detailed. Due to being very light and comfy, they make for an amiable companion, if not an exciting one.

I suspect, the Sony are probably the better buy....but in my case, the comfort is a very high factor. For me, having the Sony, would be like going into a restaurant with too much choice. I would constantly be second guessing my own settings and messing about....though I still could change my mind, send these back and go for the Sony. 

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The story continues:

I have now sent back the Bose, as longer lengths of listening with NC engaged, gave me a headache and left my ears feeling like somebody had attacked them with a mini sink plunger.

So, what to do?

Their obvious replacement was the Sony, mentioned above, which has much more control over EQ/NC......but I do find Over Ear designs a bit claustrophobic and don't particularly like the feeling of clamping pressure.

This led me to the Wireless Earphone version - WF 1000XM3. Much the same sound and NC chip - but in a small, light and convenient package. These are now ordered - so it's a matter of "Wait and see". They don't have their bigger brother's support of higher resolution Bluetooth Codecs (not an issue as using an iPhone), but apparently have a tighter / bass - even if it doesn't go so subterranean....and doesn't match its NC ability.

To be continued...

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The story continues:

I have now sent back the Bose, as longer lengths of listening with NC engaged, gave me a headache and left my ears feeling like somebody had attacked them with a mini sink plunger.

So, what to do?

Their obvious replacement was the Sony, mentioned above, which has much more control over EQ/NC......but I do find Over Ear designs a bit claustrophobic and don't particularly like the feeling of clamping pressure.

This led me to the Wireless Earphone version - WF 1000XM3. Much the same sound and NC chip - but in a small, light and convenient package. These are now ordered - so it's a matter of "Wait and see". They don't have their bigger brother's support of higher resolution Bluetooth Codecs (not an issue as using an iPhone), but apparently have a tighter / bass - even if it doesn't go so subterranean....and doesn't match its NC ability.

To be continued...
Hope this doesn't rain on your parade CNo but I also had a pair of those which I moved on.  I, personally, found them to be uncomfortable. Sound wise they are pretty good but their lack of waterproof/sweat resistance and no aptX support didn't justify them for me. I also tried the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless which were better sound wise but no ANC and some serious connection issues.

Hope you enjoy them - they do sound very good.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope this doesn't rain on your parade CNo but I also had a pair of those which I moved on.  I, personally, found them to be uncomfortable. Sound wise they are pretty good but their lack of waterproof/sweat resistance and no aptX support didn't justify them for me. I also tried the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless which were better sound wise but no ANC and some serious connection issues.

Hope you enjoy them - they do sound very good.
It looks like I'm following a couple of steps behind you....allowing you to rain on my Parade.  :p

After monumental amounts of research, I am very aware of the potential downsides.

I am not worried by them not being waterproof, or the lack of AptX support.

The Comfort/Seal Performance could be an issue - I read the entire thread on Head Fi - but felt they were worth trying, even if I had to look at an after market Tip.

These have the potential of being exactly what I want - and they're well reduced. I would have been tempted by the Airpod Pro, but they are £80 more expensive and are often reviewed as a little inferior.

The Airpods are also more expensive than what the Sony Over Ear is going for atm

This is hard to do remotely.  :wall:

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It looks like I'm following a couple of steps behind you....allowing you to rain on my Parade.  :p

After monumental amounts of research, I am very aware of the potential downsides.

I am not worried by them not being waterproof, or the lack of AptX support.

The Comfort/Seal Performance could be an issue - I read the entire thread on Head Fi - but felt they were worth trying, even if I had to look at an after market Tip.

These have the potential of being exactly what I want - and they well reduced. I would have been tempted by the Airpod Pro, but they are £80 more expensive and are often reviewed as a little inferior.

This is hard to do remotely.  :wall:

The Airpods are also more expensive than what the Sony Over Ear is going for atm
Haha - FWIW I tried the Airpods also and they didn't last long.  I generally like Apple products but have a pathological dislike of iPhones, particularly for music, and find the reproduction on my Samsung far better, but everyone is different and I know a lot of folk like you who prefer the iPhones.

I have seen that the Sony's have been reduced and would tend to agree - if you are not concerned by the waterproofing and aptX then they are a bargain.  I have had my eye on the B&O Beoplay E8 V.3 and Sennheiser Momentum TW 2's but I just can't bring myself to pay £300 for them no matter how good or otherwise they are.  Especially as I have my eye on a Hegel H390 and a potentially seismic shift in HiFi hardware.

Enjoy them when you get them and let me know what you think.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haha - FWIW I tried the Airpods also and they didn't last long.  I generally like Apple products but have a pathological dislike of iPhones, particularly for music, and find the reproduction on my Samsung far better, but everyone is different and I know a lot of folk like you who prefer the iPhones.

I have seen that the Sony's have been reduced and would tend to agree - if you are not concerned by the waterproofing and aptX then they are a bargain.  I have had my eye on the B&O Beoplay E8 V.3 and Sennheiser Momentum TW 2's but I just can't bring myself to pay £300 for them no matter how good or otherwise they are.  Especially as I have my eye on a Hegel H390 and a potentially seismic shift in HiFi hardware.

I really only have an iPhone, as it was a Company one, that I then kept when I retired. It's also useful, as most of my Family have them and so good for Face Timing.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably look elsewhere, if making music a priority.

I will give further feedback after it arrives (due Wednesday) and I get a chance to experiment.

Do you suffer Ear Drum Suck to a greater or lesser degree, with any of these products? 

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really only have an iPhone, as it was a Company one, that I then kept when I retired. It's also useful, as most of my Family have them and so good for Face Timing.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably look elsewhere, if making music a priority.

I will give further feedback after it arrives (due Wednesday) and I get a chance to experiment.

Do you suffer Ear Drum Suck to a greater or lesser degree, with any of these products? 
A little when I use the stock silicone tips.  If I use Comply tips then not really but the ones that fit the Sonys are, I believe, difficult to source in the UK and also may make it difficult to get them back in the case.  I didn't actually try them, just what I read. 

The solution I have come up with for me is that I have gone back to wired IEM's, with an Audioquest Dragonfly Carbon, when I need in ears, as I find this gives much superior sound quality than any of the wireless in ears I have tried and is less limiting in terms of Codecs/Bluetooth variants; or the WH-1000XM3 when I am travelling and certainly on planes because of the ANC.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A quick interim report - but it's early days.

I'm still experimenting with the supplied tips....With these they are reasonably comfortable and appear to stay in place. I think both comfort and performance would improve further with either Comply (can be sourced, but only in a Medium), or Spinfit 360.

Compared with the QC 35ii

I find them much less claustrophobic to wear and as yet, don't give me headaches or Ear Suck.

Sound wise, they are much cleaner and clearer sounding. The Bass is punchy and controlled, the Mids are rich and the treble is smooth and detailed. They give a more exciting presentation than the Bose - and the EQ is icing on the cake.

The Bose had more bass, but it was not as controlled and punchy....and overall, the QC35s had a refined, but less smooth presentation, with a slightly scratchy treble.....certainly not unpleasant, but I'd take these little Sonys any day of the week.

I suspect, the WFs have a similar sound signature to the WHs, but maybe a little less warm, with not as deep a bass and with NC that's maybe 80% as good. I suspect, with the "perfect" tips, these small form factor buds will be exactly what I'm after.

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A quick interim report - but it's early days.

I'm still experimenting with the supplied tips....With these they are reasonably comfortable and appear to stay in place. I think both comfort and performance would improve further with either Comply (can be sourced, but only in a Medium), or Spinfit 360.

Compared with the QC 35ii

I find them much less claustrophobic to wear and as yet, don't give me headaches or Ear Suck.

Sound wise, they are much cleaner and clearer sounding. The Bass is punchy and controlled, the Mids are rich and the treble is smooth and detailed. They give a more exciting presentation than the Bose - and the EQ is icing on the cake.

The Bose had more bass, but it was not as controlled and punchy....and overall, the QC35s had a refined, but less smooth presentation, with a slightly scratchy treble.....certainly not unpleasant, but I'd take these little Sonys any day of the week.

I suspect, the WFs have a similar sound signature to the WHs, but maybe a little less warm, with not as deep a bass and with NC that's maybe 80% as good. I suspect, with the "perfect" tips, these small form factor buds will be exactly what I'm after.
Excellent news - am glad you like them.  If you can get the fit right then they do sound very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles