Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a massive thread about upgrading the Node. You just need to read the 1st 2/3 pages. Short answer, both mods produce a very worthwhile upgrade. 😊
I know, I added my 2 cents worth on that thread when I pimped mine to great effect with an Sbooster lpsu and Fidelity Audio interface - what I meant to quote was more about the BBC thing!

Reactions: Vincent52

Valley Dweller

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2013
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know who (if anyone) is interested in this, probably those of you with Bluesound kit, it's about BBC services on Bluos. I've been getting funny messages about them, i did ask here but no-one responded - anyway here is what I've found out, for info. I should preface this by saying I have no idea of how any of the tech works or how to describe it.

I listen to BBC radio on my Node 2i via the Bluos app (controlled from an Android phone). The Bluos app has a TuneIn radio feature (is this called a plug in? God knows) which I use for BBC radio. Separately, I listen to BBC podcasts via Sounds (beamed to the Node via Bluetooth), the latter isn't lossless on Android but I put up with it in the absence of alternatives. When listening via TuneIn/Bluos (which is lossless, ie CD quality) I've been getting the announcements saying later in 2023 BBC services won't be available etc.

You can't talk to the Node manufacturer (grrr!) so I emailed the people I bought the unit from 2 years ago. Happily their sister company is Anatech which happens to be the UK Distributor and better still within 10 mins I was picking up the phone to Keir from the Bluesound UK Distributor. He said they try to sort out UK issues and if they're unable to, they involve the manufacturer (which I suppose explains why there's no manufacturer contact details on the Bluesound website - though it'd be better if they redirected to Anatech so you could at least contact someone).

Short version - it's all under control. BBC services (currently available via TuneIn on Bluos) are going to be pulled and it's true BBC will not be available through that channel any longer (he said you're not actually meant to be able to listen to BBC on Tune In anyway - I remember I lost this facility on Sonos a few years back). However Bluesound have been doing stuff behind the scenes. There'll be a big new release to their app (perhaps in April - it'll be v4 he said) and the BBC tweak may come with that - or if not soon after. I am not tech savvy but he confirmed that even regular punters like me shouldn't be able to miss the update. The new BBC tweak will address the BBC issue and we can all carry on as usual.

Out of interest he said users shouldn't actually be hearing the messages from BBC (your service is gonna be canned, that sort of stuff). The messages started last year, and the collaboration with the BBC ended them, but now they've come back again. He assured me that BBC services via TuneIn will continue to be available until the Bluos update kicks in, even if the latter is delayed. So in summary, nothing to worry about, and moreover, top marks to the distributor for coming back to me so quickly with these re-assurances.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a small point not all BBC services are lossless ,in fact I am not sure any of them are . Six Music is AAC which is a lossy codec but at a decent quality .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know who (if anyone) is interested in this, probably those of you with Bluesound kit, it's about BBC services on Bluos. I've been getting funny messages about them, i did ask here but no-one responded - anyway here is what I've found out, for info. I should preface this by saying I have no idea of how any of the tech works or how to describe it.

I listen to BBC radio on my Node 2i via the Bluos app (controlled from an Android phone). The Bluos app has a TuneIn radio feature (is this called a plug in? God knows) which I use for BBC radio. Separately, I listen to BBC podcasts via Sounds (beamed to the Node via Bluetooth), the latter isn't lossless on Android but I put up with it in the absence of alternatives. When listening via TuneIn/Bluos (which is lossless, ie CD quality) I've been getting the announcements saying later in 2023 BBC services won't be available etc.

You can't talk to the Node manufacturer (grrr!) so I emailed the people I bought the unit from 2 years ago. Happily their sister company is Anatech which happens to be the UK Distributor and better still within 10 mins I was picking up the phone to Keir from the Bluesound UK Distributor. He said they try to sort out UK issues and if they're unable to, they involve the manufacturer (which I suppose explains why there's no manufacturer contact details on the Bluesound website - though it'd be better if they redirected to Anatech so you could at least contact someone).

Short version - it's all under control. BBC services (currently available via TuneIn on Bluos) are going to be pulled and it's true BBC will not be available through that channel any longer (he said you're not actually meant to be able to listen to BBC on Tune In anyway - I remember I lost this facility on Sonos a few years back). However Bluesound have been doing stuff behind the scenes. There'll be a big new release to their app (perhaps in April - it'll be v4 he said) and the BBC tweak may come with that - or if not soon after. I am not tech savvy but he confirmed that even regular punters like me shouldn't be able to miss the update. The new BBC tweak will address the BBC issue and we can all carry on as usual.

Out of interest he said users shouldn't actually be hearing the messages from BBC (your service is gonna be canned, that sort of stuff). The messages started last year, and the collaboration with the BBC ended them, but now they've come back again. He assured me that BBC services via TuneIn will continue to be available until the Bluos update kicks in, even if the latter is delayed. So in summary, nothing to worry about, and moreover, top marks to the distributor for coming back to me so quickly with these re-assurances.
First there is a BluOs forum, which has BluOs staff on there, so you could post there. Second, I hear few BBC services are lossless. There are problems with Tunein licensing, similar posts can be found on the Linn forum. If you have the BBC url, you can just copy and paste that onto the BluOs and play from there, I did this when Radio Paradise were having some issues, I put it under Tunein.

Lets hope the new update does muck my Node up like the last big update in April 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sotosound

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This looks really interesting, am tempted to get one installed. I use an external DAC with my Node2i. Any experiences?

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/node-2i--gen3---c3-mk2-low-jitter-clock-installed-5184-p.asp
A few people got the Fidelity ps interface but I don't think they bought that one. This looks a bit more complicated, you have to send your Node in, do you have to have their PSU?
You know you have to buy a LPSU as well?

External DAC is not that relevant.

I use a LPSU with the Polish interface, with ext. DAC.

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
A few people got the Fidelity ps interface but I don't think they bought that one. This looks a bit more complicated, you have to send your Node in, do you have to have their PSU?

Yep.

Into a Weiss DAC202 and ATC SCM40A’s so I expect it will be well worth it although of course it is no longer retrofittable.

It’s relevant insofar as it states the upgrade is more noticeable when using an external DAC.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep.

Into a Weiss DAC202 and ATC SCM40A’s so I expect it will be well worth it although of course it is no longer retrofittable.

It’s relevant insofar as it states the upgrade is more noticeable when using an external DAC.
Which LPSU are you thinking of buying?

Before spending loads of money, you may want to consider other options.

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
Which LPSU are you thinking of buying?

Before spending loads of money, you may want to consider other options.

I already have the base model Fidelity Audio linear psu with their adapter. All for the princely cost of £75. It made a very worthwhile improvement. Vinyl is my main source, digital for lazy listening.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This change is trying to bring the node closer to using a reclocker such as the Mutec . However while the clock they are using is better than the one originally fitted it is not that great . The accuracy is way below those used in stand alone reclockers so the sound uplift is going to be less . Then again a Mutec is way more expensive . I would really think getting to listen to the difference is essential before doing something that will change your player for good .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I already have the base model Fidelity Audio linear psu with their adapter. All for the princely cost of £75. It made a very worthwhile improvement. Vinyl is my main source, digital for lazy listening.
What LPSU are you using?

I don't understand their comment about adjusting the PSU.

I would probably not bother if it is your secondary source.

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
This change is trying to bring the node closer to using a reclocker such as the Mutec . However while the clock they are using is better than the one originally fitted it is not that great . The accuracy is way below those used in stand alone reclockers so the sound uplift is going to be less . Then again a Mutec is way more expensive . I would really think getting to listen to the difference is essential before doing something that will change your player for good .
Understand that completely but obviously it’s impossible with this type of mod. The Node’s do seem to yield great performance with the right DAC (The Flash also uses one) hence thinking it would give a nice performance lift in my system.

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: Jezmond

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Is this actually an interface? I'd always assumed that it was a different circuit board but I am utterly untechnical..

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And this is the problem as from my experience its not possible to get a demo from fidelity audio otherwise I'd have tried it! I was also slightly put off from buying one of their power supplies as I wanted to know the difference between them and couldn't get a helpful answer so went with an sBooster which I was given a home trial of.

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More than happy with my Node , ‘‘twas like a revelation to me and it ain’t going anywhere ( unlike all my other continuous box swapping)

Reactions: Beyond you

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
Three reviews on Fidelity Audio’s site suggest it makes a good difference. But I’d be more interested to hear if anyone here has one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles