Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone upgraded the PSU of their Bluesound Node 2i. Which upgrade was it and did it make much difference.

Thank you.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As OP the use of an additional DAC is not of interest to me as I already use the DAC in my Marantz SA10 CD/SACD player. I am just interested in the PSU upgrades.

Alan

Reactions: MartinC

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some people can't hear a difference between DACs. Quite a few Node users found a difference when using a LPSU. Your DAC costs around £675? Not heard it, from the reviews probably not a huge difference between my Soncoz. With the Node I would certainly want the LPSU, without it, it sounds harsh, some music was unlistenable.

If I was in his position I would try to demo some other streamers such as Innuos.
What streamer do you have?

DACs the Denafries Aries maybe worth hearing, some prefer that to yours. There is a dealer in Bury St. Edmunds which is not that far from the OP. Big dealer near Peterborough as well, not sure what DACs they have.
Problem with a lot of ChiHifi is no dealers in the UK, which means hassle if there is a problem.
You seem to be replying as if I'd given some sort of strong personal recommendation to the OP? I have not. Maybe you missed my use of the word 'hunch' in my first post? I also put comments about my own DAC in brackets for a reason.

Last edited:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As OP the use of an additional DAC is not of interest to me as I already use the DAC in my Marantz SA10 CD/SACD player. I am just interested in the PSU upgrades.

Alan
I bought the Polish board and the Allo Shanti LPSU, this cost around £220, costs will be higher now as that was before we left the EU. This made a fair improvement to the sound, IMO. "The Flash" also used this combo in quite a high end system for a fair while.

Reactions: JustinTime

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As already noted, I've swapped the internal board in my Node 2i for the Fidelity Audio one and the external LPSU that I've built is to a decent standard (understatement). The differences/improvements are there, but subtle.

I have no idea what sort of level the internal DAC in the Marantz is, but I would imagine it's pretty competent. Nevertheless, whether the power supply upgrade is worthwhile depends on what you expect. If you're looking for 'even deaf people can tell the difference' sort of changes, then look elsewhere. It's also worth noting that you kiss goodbye to any warranty on the Node, you potentially dent its resale value, and the upgrade is not cheap. If you get to the level of spending hundreds on the actual power supply, then I'd be seriously questioning the 'value' of the change.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As already noted, I've swapped the internal board in my Node 2i for the Fidelity Audio one and the external LPSU that I've built is to a decent standard (understatement). The differences/improvements are there, but subtle.

I have no idea what sort of level the internal DAC in the Marantz is, but I would imagine it's pretty competent. Nevertheless, whether the power supply upgrade is worthwhile depends on what you expect. If you're looking for 'even deaf people can tell the difference' sort of changes, then look elsewhere. It's also worth noting that you kiss goodbye to any warranty on the Node, you potentially dent its resale value, and the upgrade is not cheap. If you get to the level of spending hundreds on the actual power supply, then I'd be seriously questioning the 'value' of the change.
I did not expect to hear any difference. In my system the changes were a bit less subtle. The 2i is probably out of warranty now. You can always put the original PS back in. I don't think the resale vale will be affected.

I agree, I would not be spending loads of money on a LPSU, a used Sbooster, would be my choice, if you can find one these days.

Last edited:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You probably realise but the challenge you have here is that what benefit you may get will depend on how well specifically your Marantz handles electrical noise and jitter on its digital inputs (since these are what you'd hope the new PSU to improve in your context). The better your DAC performs in this regard the smaller the likely benefit, and vice versa. Other people's experiences will be similarly affected.

If you're certain you don't intend to replace your Node any time soon then going down this upgrade route sounds like something I'd be very tempted to do in your position, without expecting a huge change.

On the resale value front my personal guess is you'd probably be able to sell it on OK here with the upgrade in tact. From a personal perspective I do tend to be put off if I know a previous owner has 'tinkered' with the inside of an electronic device though, given I have no idea how competent they may be at doing so.

Reactions: DomT

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Again,
I placed the order on Saturday, Received the Paypal invoice on Sunday, and had a message from UPS to say that they are delivering today.(Tuesday). I also had to pay UPS £55.41 import duty. So Total cost was £306.28. (I paid the mid price UPS shipping fee of the 3 options listed). The product arrived at 2pm today and had it installed and up and running in about 30 minutes. I am very impressed with build quality of the super low noise PSU and interface board.

1st listening impressions are good. The bass seems tighter and there appear to be extra mid range detail. When my wife came in from work she remarked "that sounds nice". More listening test to be done.
Alan

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would not buy that, I would want a streamer from a company that has a good history of streamers. How much will it cost?
A used mid range streamer would be my upgrade choice.
I believe that the Node that this is based on (The Cyrus that you are questioning) is considered to have an excellent history and one of the leading streaming platforms. I have no idea if Cyrus will do a Saab and completely try and remake the product or it’s case of adding a small screen and pimping the output stage. It could actually be a great product …. so long as they leave the software alone.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe that the Node that this is based on (The Cyrus that you are questioning) is considered to have an excellent history and one of the leading streaming platforms. I have no idea if Cyrus will do a Saab and completely try and remake the product or it’s case of adding a small screen and pimping the output stage. It could actually be a great product …. so long as they leave the software alone.
I have a Node as you may know. BluOs is just the software, it is quite good but not that special, I had problems with Qobuz following an update, which never got resolved by BluOs, others have had similar issues.
I would want to see some history before considering it. It is not due until later this year.
I will be looking the Innuos Pulse next.

Tintinabulum

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2014
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a few Nodes, never had an issue with Qobuz (I suspect many others have never had problems either), I find the software exceptional and the package spot on.

I've put respective PSU boards in, note you can no get better clocks for these and Vinshine are also doing their own boards. Kind of Frankenstein but in a good way...

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Node as you may know. BluOs is just the software, it is quite good but not that special, I had problems with Qobuz following an update, which never got resolved by BluOs, others have had similar issues.
I would want to see some history before considering it. It is not due until later this year.
I now remember your QoBuz problem. There are so many Node fans though that compared to other systems it’s probably the most favoured. I am a huge fan of Innuos.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also to say that I am sure that I haven’t had a problem with QoBuz on Innuos Zen Mini mk3 running Sense.

Last edited:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a few Nodes, never had an issue with Qobuz (I suspect many others have never had problems either), I find the software exceptional and the package spot on.

I've put respective PSU boards in, note you can no get better clocks for these and Vinshine are also doing their own boards. Kind of Frankenstein but in a good way...
Actually quite a few have had issues Qobuz and BluOs. The solution it seems is ditch your ISP router if you can't change the DNS. With 3rd party router, change DNS to google, 8.8.8.x, then it should fix this issue.

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How useful would that screen be in practice though? My gut reaction is that looks like a middle ground that will please few. Personally I'm happier with my laptop or phone as the screen, and if my streamer had a display like the Cyrus photo I wouldn't be able to read it from my listening position anyway. There are streamers with larger colour screens that show album cover art which I wouldn't personally want but I think I can see more of the appeal of.
Agree here re screen size. I use an old ipad to do my viewing on. If the screen is not big enough to be read from ones viewing position why bother with one at all?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agree here re screen size. I use an old ipad to do my viewing on. If the screen is not big enough to be read from ones viewing position why bother with one at all?
Completely agree. My first ‘streamer’ was a Logitech Touch, and though a bit basic, the screen was great.
When I upgraded to a Linn Sneaky DS that was completely ’blind’ as in many installations it was designed to be hidden. Using an iPad app the lack of a screen was irrelevant.

Though now I use a Linn Akurate which has a monochrome screen, it is cleverly designed to briefly enlarge the characters, so it’ll display each new track, and volume settings (it’s a preamp too). But overall, a screen is of no great benefit in most streamers. Indeed, if it’s a Naim, it looks like a service item judging by the number that say they’ve been repaired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles