Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone upgraded the PSU of their Bluesound Node 2i. Which upgrade was it and did it make much difference.

Thank you.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think you need to do a quick search as there is an enormous thread regarding this already in existence . Quick answer is yes you can change the PSU and you need to change the power input board on the Node either a Polish or UK suppliers offer this . Secondly an LPSU makes a huge difference and best value / sound quality was the SBooster .

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The key question for me would be whether buying a suitable external DAC may be a better route to an upgrade. My hunch is that it may well be.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jeez. 132 pages about a power supply. Welcome to the wigwam :ROFLMAO:

To condense it somewhat... I've got a Node 2i and I swapped the internal board for the Fidelity Audio one and built an external linear PSU. I use mine with an external DAC.

No. It isn't 'night and day' differences. The streamer output to an external DAC sounds slightly improved, as does the internal DAC. Both seem to lose a little harshness and to become more 'natural' sounding. However, as Martin says above, if you don't already have a good external DAC, then I strongly feel that's where the funds ought to go first, as that will almost certainly make the greater difference.

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a node 2i and found the inbuilt DAC not very impressive, so I use optical out to a Chord m-scaler/TT2. With that setup I haven’t considered upgrading the power supply.

The optical connection should stop any transfer of noise to the external DAC although the smps of the node may push noise back on to the mains although given the number of smps/chargers I have in use I doubt replacing one with a linear power supply would make much difference.

Another consideration is the degree to which one’s other components are susceptible to noise from the mains. That’s not to deny that noise has an effect; having tried Wave cables one can hear the effect of noise when the cables are replaced with conventional ones. The difference, whilst worth having, isn’t huge to my ears.

Reactions: JustinTime

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
consideration is the degree to which one’s other components are susceptible to noise from the mains. That’s not to deny that noise has an effect; having tried Wave cables one can hear the effect of noise when the cables are replaced with conventional ones. The difference, whilst worth having, isn’t huge to my ears.
You probably realise, but for the OP note that the point of using a better power supply is not necessarily related to mains noise. Yes one could be less susceptible to this but the real point is how clean/stable the generated DC supply to the internal circuitry is.

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You probably realise, but for the OP note that the point of using a better power supply is not necessarily related to mains noise. Yes one could be less susceptible to this but the real point is how clean/stable the generated DC supply to the internal circuitry is.
Interesting point. To what degree will cleaner/stable power supply affect the sound quality, both analogue but particularly digital out from the node? Obviously, in general terms the best power supply is a good thing but at what point does it audibly affect sound quality?

Last edited:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting point. To what degree will cleaner/stable power supply affect the sound quality, both analogue and digital out from the node? Obviously, in general terms the best power supply is a good thing but at what point does it audibly affect sound quality?
I'd say that's pretty much the main point of the upgrade being discussed and so @rabski's post and the 132 page thread covers this here. The Node has a built-in switch-mode power supply which will generate its own 'noise' on the desired DC signal and proponents of linear power supplies would usually argue this is what they're trying to improve on. Linear power supplies can't convert 100% perfectly from AC to DC at the desired voltage either though and so ultimate performance is always going to come down to the particular implementation. These comments apply even with a textbook perfect mains supply with zero noise.

As I'm replying, I'll just add that when connecting an external DAC the two factors that matter on the digital output are noise (on electrical connections) and jitter (on all connections, including optical). Which is best will depend on the specific source and DAC rather than there being a universal best.

• Upvote
Reactions: JustinTime

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before I go down the upgrade path my dealer has made me aware that Cyrus will be releasing later this year a product based on the Node, but with display etc.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/streamer-development-update/
How useful would that screen be in practice though? My gut reaction is that looks like a middle ground that will please few. Personally I'm happier with my laptop or phone as the screen, and if my streamer had a display like the Cyrus photo I wouldn't be able to read it from my listening position anyway. There are streamers with larger colour screens that show album cover art which I wouldn't personally want but I think I can see more of the appeal of.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before I go down the upgrade path my dealer has made me aware that Cyrus will be releasing later this year a product based on the Node, but with display etc.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/streamer-development-update/

Regards

Alan
I would not buy that, I would want a streamer from a company that has a good history of streamers. How much will it cost?
A used mid range streamer would be my upgrade choice.

Last edited:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jolida and Soncoz as in my profile.

What DAC is going to make a big difference?

For info. I can't see your profile. If I click to try to see it I get a message saying you've limited who can view it. Which models are those DACs?

I'm sure there are loads of DACs that could be an improvement but I think you're right they'd cost more than the PSU change. Money not spent on a PSU change could be put towards a better DAC though.

I've not owned a Node myself to comment from experience though which is why I asked you for more info. for the OP's benefit.

(I do of course like the DAC in my signature and would be surprised if it wasn't a decent step up on the Node's but at about £675 this will be more expensive than most board plus LPSU upgrades for it.)

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For info. I can't see your profile. If I click to try to see it I get a message saying you've limited who can view it. Which models are those DACs?

I'm sure there are loads of DACs that could be an improvement but I think you're right they'd cost more than the PSU change. Money not spent on a PSU change could be put towards a better DAC though.

I've not owned a Node myself to comment from experience though which is why I asked you for more info. for the OP's benefit.

(I do of course like the DAC in my signature and would be surprised if it wasn't a decent step up on the Node's but at about £675 this will be more expensive than most board plus LPSU upgrades for it.)
I don't know anything about restrictions on my profile.

Jolida FX III modified and Soncoz SGD1 modified are my DACs.

You did say that you found differences between DACs subtle.

Goldensounds also rates the Soncoz SGD1.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You did say that you found differences between DACs subtle.

I have in the past, but less so my most recent change 🙂.

Anyway, you've now nicely muddied the waters for the OP by basically having the opposite experience to @rabski :). If only upgrade questions were straightforward!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have in the past, but less so my most recent change 🙂.

Anyway, you've now nicely muddied the waters for the OP by basically having the opposite experience to @rabski :). If only upgrade questions were straightforward!
Some people can't hear a difference between DACs. Quite a few Node users found a difference when using a LPSU. Your DAC costs around £675? Not heard it, from the reviews probably not a huge difference between my Soncoz. With the Node I would certainly want the LPSU, without it, it sounds harsh, some music was unlistenable.

If I was in his position I would try to demo some other streamers such as Innuos.
What streamer do you have?

DACs the Denafries Aries maybe worth hearing, some prefer that to yours. There is a dealer in Bury St. Edmunds which is not that far from the OP. Big dealer near Peterborough as well, not sure what DACs they have.
Problem with a lot of ChiHifi is no dealers in the UK, which means hassle if there is a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles