HiFi Trade
Sep 24, 2012
Millow, Beds
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 14.48.42.png

Hi everyone, this week's album, Just An Old Fashioned Love Song by Paul Williams has been a recent find for me! I had never heard of Paul Williams before and was unfamiliar with his work. After many hours of listening, I can confidently say I have become a fan!

Amazingly his career spans the entire arts sector from writing songs for other artists, scoring to picture, acting and even contributing to some of the songs from Daft Punk's RAM album. A seriously creative individual equipped with an impressive set of skills!

Paul Williams also wrote some of The Carpenter's best-known songs which amazes me! We’ve Only Just Begun, Rainy Days and Mondays and I Won’t Last a Day Without You are just some of the incredible songs he wrote for the pop giants. Having already been so familiar with The Carpenter's stunning arrangements of these classics it was great to hear them from the writer's perspective. I highly recommend checking out Paul Williams' versions of these three tracks that share some similarities but are a little rougher around the edges.

Just An Old Fashioned Love Song is what I would call most positively an easy-listening album with some cracking songs. If you are a fan of artists such as The Carpenters, Bread, and Jim Croce, give it a spin, I think you will like it! We’ve Only Just Begun is my pick from the album. A simple arrangement compared to The Carpenter's well-known version featuring Karen's angelic voice and complex harmonies. Paul's stripped-back rendition captures the same charm whilst offering a less involved production. There are no bells and whistles, just quality songwriting and heartfelt performance. If you are unfamiliar, give it a chance! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Billy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles