Big head!

martin_b

Wammer
Dec 2, 2023
The Surrey Hills
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Guy's I have a need for a set of closed back headphones, tastes include classic and modern rock however the big issue is I have a big head, and I hate the feeling of having a set clamped onto my head, so Im looking for something with adjustable tension. They wont be used for critical listening so I don't need the last word in audio fidelity, budget say £200-300. Any suggestions?

Reactions: 405Pairing

405Pairing

Wammer
Dec 9, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Guy's I have a need for a set of closed back headphones, tastes include classic and modern rock however the big issue is I have a big head, and I hate the feeling of having a set clamped onto my head, so Im looking for something with adjustable tension. They wont be used for critical listening so I don't need the last word in audio fidelity, budget say £200-300. Any suggestions?
Brilliant! What a way to start the New Year, put a smile on my face - thank you and Happy New Year to you.

405Pairing

Wammer
Dec 9, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should also say while not a "wing nut" my ears are to scale with the rest of my 17 stone retired prop forward frame
Sounds like the most important issue is comfort - so best go try a few. I am sure you aren't alone with this problem - my Stax are a bit like "G Clamps" at times.

Reactions: martin_b

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Trying is the only way. There are headphone 'meets' in London from time to time where some major manufacturers and enthusiasts attend. I know that Hifi Lounge in Bedfordshire have a good range on demo (and are a great visit irrespective) if you have the time. I don't use phones and don't share your physiotype, however FWIW I recall Sennheiser, AKG, and Beyer as being comfy from days of yore.

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too have a big head, and hate anything that clamps on my head too much. Comfort is my highest priority as I won't wear anything that hurts no matter how good it sounds.
I tried many pairs of headphones and have ended up (after trying maybe a dozen pairs of the lightest and most recommended as comfortable) with some Meze Classic 99's and some old and fairly hard to find Sennheiser HD540's which are even lighter and clamp less but open backed.
I'm going to keep the Senn's and sell on the 99's.
I'd suggest you try to get a demo of the Meze's which are within budget at around £270 and maybe keep an eye on the classifieds if you like them as I'll be posting mine in there soon!

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hello again :) you might well ask John what are you going to do with your two sets of Grado s80 headphones and your expensive pair of AKG K2 that have not hit the spot for me. They sound good only when i play my Guitars through the Amplifi TT box into my amplifier. there other up side is they have a 2 mile it seems cable which has its ups and downs . i also have an illustrious pair of AKG N700 in a case wireless that have not passed the John test .

Right whats happening to all these headphones. Along with a Macbook pro and a very slow it seems imac computer . I am taking the plunge and taking them to "We buy" ... Why .. Because. they will end up there anyway if i trade them on Gumtree .

indecently if you are in the market for a nice pair of Grado headphones
SR325 check webuy web site there £145 on there

https://uk.webuy.com/

Last edited:

dangermouse

Hasta la vista
Wammer Plus
Jul 10, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never found any of the closed backs that I've tried to be "comfy" over an extended listening period.

Open back is the way to go if you want to be comfortable imho.

Reactions: womaz

martin_b

Wammer
Dec 2, 2023
The Surrey Hills
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The idea was to use them in an office environment, however that potential contract seems to have been put on hold, so the need has for the moment, lessened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles