Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The show does get better each year. This was my second time at exhibiting and I realised after setting up on Saturday that the only kit I had left from two yrs ago was my transmission line bass units and my Isotek Mini Sub !!

The best part of the show is meeting up with familiar faces, some we see at bake offs, others we only see each year at Scalford. The Wammers are also great at helping with moving heavy kit.....and when you've brought over 6 00 lb in kit it's more than welcome.

Setup went well and we soon had some tunes warming up the valve amps. Saturday eve was a curry out in Melton with another Wammer and his wife ...followed by heavy metal in the local pub

Sunday came far too quick with the added hr and people were soon coming into the room at 9:45 !

Lots of people brought music new to me ....most will soon be added to my collection .....The real standout one was Derrin Nauendorf, a very talented ausie guitarist introduced to us by a newbie Wammer

Thanks to everyone who came to my room and for the kind comments about my system that has been put together on a modest budget and a lot of experimentation.

We ended the day with Bollemes Tocatta at many dB's as a tribute to John....that's how I remember him with me 2 yrs ago both of us signalling the low notes as they shook the room

What next .....well a few refinements planned and may be back next year as a listener

lastly thanks to James et al for great organisation once again

Keith & Jane

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
The best part of the show is meeting up with familiar faces

Keith & Jane
Great to see you both again, It's amazing how time just seems to fly past.

Enjoyed the fudge cake.......oh, and your system. :D

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is not show related, but probably the best thread for getting a message to new members.

A week or so back, it was suggested by admin that the bake offs we have regularly on the wam would be a great way for new members to find out what this place is really all about.

It's really all about the music, the kit it's played on, and the people involved.

Anyone that attended the show last weekend that thinks they might enjoy the same sort of thing, but on a smaller scale, should have a look in the bake off and show thread just under the 2 channel debate section.

Just happens that there is to be a meet in Leeds this weekend, hosted by madvinyljunkie (MVJ) where new members will have priority over available places. This is a very good venue, and also one not to be missed!

Link to the thread is here http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?117815-SHORT-NOTICE!!!!-BAKE-OFF-EASTER-SUNDAY-5th-APRIL :^

mikew13

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2014
Kent
AKA
Mike
As a first time visitor, I'd just to echo everyone above and say thanks to all those who put such a huge effort in to stage the show. Have never seen such a huge variety of kit under one roof, and everyone seemed really friendly. Exhibitors asking for requests and letting people play their own music is really cool too.

I was genuinely surprised at the size of it - thought we'd manage to get round in a couple of hours, but had to miss some rooms and whizz through others. Will definitely plan to get there earlier next time.

Cheers again.

loo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2013
out house
Thanks for a great show to,

Mr Hifiwigwam and all the people who make it happen

All the people that visited,

mmichbam and his wife for being great neighbours

Audio Al and Maverick2000 for being great company

All the wammers who visited my room and introduced themselves great to put faces to the legends

Anybody I have not mentioned please forgive my poor memory

oh and the guys that not only exhibited but also did the good deeds for good causes should be immortalized in the wam hall of fame ,crimsondonkey Bmtel and others:notworthy:

I really enjoyed it and would recommend anyone pondering exhibiting to just do it ,its great fun

:^

gingermrkettle

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 22, 2013
Warwickshire
AKA
Stephen
Exhibiting is one of those things where it can be more work than you realise, particularly if you are trying to get an air bearing to play nicely and be set up properly :fek: , but the time flew by. It is really encouraging when you have a room where it has to be one in, one out for large parts of the day and people who really didn't appear at first glance to be into my sort of music stayed for quite some time. Ended up spending more time talking about the music that was playing rather than the equipment pretty much which is a good thing, and the equipment only got close because of people asking about the turntable.

Could have played for longer but there was a realisation of the amount of work that was entailed in breaking everything down again and getting it back in the van so the go away records had to come out (apologies to Gary for having to be the one that heard them).

Practicality will probably mean that the main system won't be coming on tour again that soon, but I am really glad I did it this time.

Edit: Oh yes, for the non-curry moments the chippy in the centre of Melton between the church and the council building does the most ridiculously large portions of chips known to mankind. One large and one small portion was enough to stuff me and my father-in-law and leave enough left over for two people to have a serious late night trough when I got back home.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha, ha, ha, no apologies required whatsoever, Stephen., we had a chuckle at those, did we not... Had a great time in your room, always a pleasure listening to Quad stats, and got to meet and chat to some very nice people in there. Loved your T/T setup too.

So glad you enjoyed your day too. My turn next year, all things being well.

P.S. only just seen your profile change. How does it feel to be famous? :D

Exhibiting is one of those things where it can be more work than you realise, particularly if you are trying to get an air bearing to play nicely and be set up properly :fek: , but the time flew by. It is really encouraging when you have a room where it has to be one in, one out for large parts of the day and people who really didn't appear at first glance to be into my sort of music stayed for quite some time. Ended up spending more time talking about the music that was playing rather than the equipment pretty much which is a good thing, and the equipment only got close because of people asking about the turntable.Could have played for longer but there was a realisation of the amount of work that was entailed in breaking everything down again and getting it back in the van so the go away records had to come out (apologies to Gary for having to be the one that heard them).

Practicality will probably mean that the main system won't be coming on tour again that soon, but I am really glad I did it this time.

Edit: Oh yes, for the non-curry moments the chippy in the centre of Melton between the church and the council building does the most ridiculously large portions of chips known to mankind. One large and one small portion was enough to stuff me and my father-in-law and leave enough left over for two people to have a serious late night trough when I got back home.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to say it felt like the quickest show ever as time really flew this year...

turned up a bit later then planned on sat and was a bit daunted by the size of the Cottesmore room, once we got everything setup (thanks to the missus, big bro and nephew) it looked piddly in there... was trying to get it to sound acceptable till about 2.30am. Thought it sounded ok in the end

Sunday was a busy start, after having smaller rooms in previous years was a bit odd to have 20ish people sat there (at least they acted as bass traps) and apologies to the rooms above me, after a few murmurings around volume/bass output from visitors who'd been upstairs and a visit from Mr Wigwam I tried to keep the volume down but still fill the room.. (in my defense no one thought it was excessively loud) but it did temper my musical choices a little... maybe I should be placed in isolation in future :oops:

Had the usual game of having to show people the power cable to prove the sub was unplugged, even then I'm not sure they believed me as they'd check on the way out :D

My brothers spendors sounded good too and managed to fill the room pretty well... and a few people said nice things about my focals to which is always a surprise ;-)

disappointed that neither me or Testy managed to clear my room with our musical choices but MIB did... so Lionel and I will have to try hard next year:party:

Although my brother did manage to get me to leave my own room by playing Toni Braxton :zip:

Big thanks to the organisers and Pie Man Jim and Bob for their efforts... and was good to put more faces to wammers names... although I'm rubbish at actually remembering who anyone is:doh:

And my 11 year old nephew had a good time and wants to come again next year!

Spacehopper

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2009
Glasgow
AKA
Allan
Although I haven't made it to any of the shows yet can I just say big thank you, as a remote viewer, to everyone involved with the show.

Having DJ'd for a while I know the hassle of setting up even a modest rig and lugging far too many record than you need so :notworthy: to every last one you.

One day !

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for a great show to,Mr Hifiwigwam and all the people who make it happen

All the people that visited,

mmichbam and his wife for being great neighbours

Audio Al and Maverick2000 for being great company

All the wammers who visited my room and introduced themselves great to put faces to the legends

Anybody I have not mentioned please forgive my poor memory

oh and the guys that not only exhibited but also did the good deeds for good causes should be immortalized in the wam hall of fame ,crimsondonkey Bmtel and others:notworthy:

I really enjoyed it and would recommend anyone pondering exhibiting to just do it ,its great fun:^
well last day of the quarter over for me a few thoughts . . .

1stly mate same back at ya Loo - wish we'd had more time together, specifically that I'd had more time in your room as well as some others

Al for (1) great company and (2) general calmness fitting a new cartridge a few minutes before the show opened (3) not crying when one of the ESLs had a thrombie (nothing serious I hope)

did show the trade off between too much kit and having spares !!

what I really enjoyed was playing music people that had brought, took some effort to encourage from some people but managed one whole hour of requests at one stage

from my 'mix' CDs prepared for the show one of the youngest requested the Eagles and a more mature gentleman went for Metallica and Sisters of Mercy, the only track that cleared the room was from Joe Bonamassa - still mystified about that!!

as my 1st Scalford visiting, let alone exhibiting, I enjoyed it all enjoyed immeasurably & already looking forward to 2016 - I'll probably be a visitor next year however given my natural instincts I am sure that I will get involved in some other way - as a start I'll pop my name in the 'room sitters for hire' thread

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi MF1000

so pleased my Derrin Nauendorf CD was a highlight for you. It was for me too.

I hope you get to see him live soon. It's worth going to see.

your system was fantastic I could have sat all day listening to it.

Beckenham

Vintage Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2008
London
AKA
Fernando
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to see you both again, It's amazing how time just seems to fly past.Enjoyed the fudge cake.......oh, and your system. :D
Very kind and nice couple! My first time in 2013, i have been a pleasure to meet this couple, and spoke a few minutes with Keith and Jane, great sound, very friendly. I m not sure , but the audio system was a bit different.

Cheers

Fernando

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
The simple joy of Scalford is music and friends, and this year seemed to exemplify just that.

Saturday was a lot of lugging gear upstairs, although I'm glad I arrived after Dan and Adam had wrestled those ATC DIY jobbies upstairs ;) Simpson is a big room, which is not a problem as either set of speakers would fill it, however the first major headache was that bouncy floor! Both the Opals and Adam's speakers struggled with bass boom which initially proved a bit disheartening, especially as we had both come with a lot of electronic, dub and electro dance music - oops.

Part of the fun is meeting the challenges of trying to get your kit to work in the room you're given after all. Anyway the curry was great, and the beer went down very nicely :^

So in the end we decided to move the ATC clones to fire across the room and site them where the floor seemed a bit firmer. We dialled the bass response on the Opals right down too. After a bit of trial and error we found a number of tracks which didn't excite the room quite so much (so no Grace Jones at full tilt this year!). I think tracks that seemed to get a good response included -

'Fade to grey' orchestral version, Visage

'Take me to church' Hoziers

'Punky reggae party' live from Babylon Bus, Bob Marley & the Wailers

'Master pretender' First Aid Kit

'St James infirmary Blues' The Stimulators

'The Chase' from Midnight Express OST, Giorgio Moroder

It was great to so many familiar faces, and meet new ones too. Really helped as I was missing Ian who was going to be hosting the room with me again.

The raffle was a highlight and a good laugh, especially the guy who won the pork pie and triumphantly paraded it through the crowd, and of course the award of the booby prize too.

Heard some great set ups but too few to be honest, and everyone deserves credit for lugging their gear over. One of the many things that makes it special is that everyone's show is different, the rooms are spread out, you might not hear everything, you might miss people, or tunes that you might have liked, but that makes your experience unique.

Knackered like the rest of you come Monday morning, but would do it all again - can't wait till next year already.

Great job by the hotel staff in looking after us all again :^

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
forgot to mention the "staying power of the show award" must go to room my mate Audio Al, went off for a coke at 9:45am as he was on first and came back with a pint

it was at that point I knew I was in the presence of a legend and outclassed

G

My two favourite rooms were Edd9000 as he had Toblerone, and MF1000 as it had Jane's Chocolate cake in it:^

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
forgot to mention the "staying power of the show award" must go to room my mate Audio Al, went off for a coke at 9:45am as he was on first and came back with a pintit was at that point I knew I was in the presence of a legend and outclassed
:D :^

G

Late response from me, but best show yet it is :^

The Saturday night was a bit sedate this year which had the added bonus of me not wanting to vomit at breakfast this year and being able to actually listen to HiFi without wanting to die.

I didn't hear many systems this year, but the ones I did all sounded good even if not to my taste. Again beating the pro shows for sound quality and music choices.

When I was looking after Bob's (Khapahk) room, one guy asked why I sold my Snell's for the proacs and another questioned my change of phono stage. Still better than the guy that came up to me in Jims room to say he loved the sound of my new system "better than the Snell A's". Made me laugh some what.

The curry Sunday night was great and good value for money.

All in an excellent weekend and wouldn't miss it for the world. Worrryingly with the endorphins flowing I promised I would take me system up next year....

Means I better start assembling an analogue front end again later this year.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Late response from me, but best show yet it is :^ The Saturday night was a bit sedate this year which had the added bonus of me not wanting to vomit at breakfast this year and being able to actually listen to HiFi without wanting to die.

I didn't hear many systems this year, but the ones I did all sounded good even if not to my taste. Again beating the pro shows for sound quality and music choices.

When I was looking after Bob's (Khapahk) room, one guy asked why I sold my Snell's for the proacs and another questioned my change of phono stage. Still better than the guy that came up to me in Jims room to say he loved the sound of my new system "better than the Snell A's". Made me laugh some what.

The curry Sunday night was great and good value for money.

All in an excellent weekend and wouldn't miss it for the world. Worrryingly with the endorphins flowing I promised I would take me system up next year....

Means I better start assembling an analogue front end again later this year.
It was nice to meet you Dom, it was a real surprise (although it shouldn't have been) when at the entrance door you said "I recognise that watch"......(the Azimuth Mecha)

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was nice to meet you Dom, it was a real surprise (although it shouldn't have been) when at the entrance door you said "I recognise that watch"......(the Azimuth Mecha)
:rofl:

I wondered what was going on. I saw dom gazing down toward my crotch and though something funny was going on, but I get it now. He's bong eyed and was looking for my watch!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles