Beaujolais Nouveau :-)

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone else had a bottle? Bought a couple from Waitrose today, Beaujolais and it's various Crus are some of my favourite reds along with a Chateauneuf du Pape, Chiroubles being my favourite. Anyway, as I said, I got a couple of this year's and have consumed a fair amount so far  :) and whilst I appreciate being so young, it's never going to be great, but I enjoy the ceremony and look forward to the release each year. Not great to start with, it definitely needs opening well in advance and preferably decanting, but it does have a fresh, light and fruity flavour albeit with a bit of an after taste. I enjoyed mine with a few slices of a spicy and smoky chorizo  :)

Enjoy!

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did try the Nouveau back in the 80's when I was just starting to get interested in wine , the race to get the first bottle was well publicised back then , I'm not a fan of the taste.

Chateauneuf du Pape is too strong for me these days , I seem to spend all my time turning bottles of red wine around to read the alcoholic strength , 12.5% is what I search for , Bordeaux usually obliges .

• Upvote
Reactions: Carrington

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chateauneuf du Pape is a favourite of mine, and I always used to get the Beaujolais Nouveau but you don’t see it too ofter round here these days.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also used to drink it back in the '80s but concluded that it was all too often the triumph of style over substance - average to piss poor young red wine passed off as something chic and fashionable. I like the Beaujolais wines, but they really need a bit more age on them to be worth drinking.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a bottle recently (Waitrose and M&S seem to offer it each year) and it was much the same, a little challenging on the tastebuds but I get suckered in every time  9_9 . A bit more age definitely makes a big difference with Beaujolais and every year there seems to be more and better choice. Louis Jadot's Quincie goes down rather well.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just picked up this year's offering, pretty good so far! Having it with a few slices of prosciutto. A rather pleasant start to a rare weekend off  :)

Apparently Waitrose are now doing 'English Nouveau' but there were none in stock. Hopefully I'll get some next time.

Reactions: Bazzer

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Found a bottle today in M&S, only £7. Not as nice as the Waitrose offering but okay. I really don't know why I bother every year but hey ho.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone tried any this year? I haven't seen any in the shops but then I haven't done much shopping recently, hoping to find a bottle or two over the weekend.

Tintinabulum

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2014
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also used to drink it in the 80's, it used to get there, on the day, at about 11 am. Good excuse to start drinking early (bankers, when bankers drank...). It wasn't nice, definitely alcohol though.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got a bottle! Not bad, not great, about what you'd expect. Light and fruity, not unlike myself. Except for the light. And the fruity.

20211127-184112.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles