Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What service were you listening with? By that I mean Airable, TuneIn or something?

I use Airable - listening to Radio 3 right now - but heard an announcement over Christmas on Radio 4. BBC Sounds works pretty well using Airplay too, but I tend only to use that for catch ups.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think the BBC want folks to use their apps in the future to access their services.
Not very handy & of course you will be needing a license to use them.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I understand it, it’s only the Shoutcast streams that are going. The HLS ones will be remaining. I don’t know if the latter are available through Linn’s server/control point setup, but they are through Roon.

Mick

Roonster111

New Wammer
Dec 30, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, had looked into the implications of this myself. On Tunein's website (and I'm told Airable's), it clarifies that they are unaffected..... Phew🫡

Reactions: Nopiano and MickC

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hey! BBC! Aren't you starving the world outside of your much diminished empire of your propaganda by firewalling it like this? Wasn't that why the beeb was founded?

Last edited:

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What service were you listening with? By that I mean Airable, TuneIn or something?

I use Airable - listening to Radio 3 right now - but heard an announcement over Christmas on Radio 4. BBC Sounds works pretty well using Airplay too, but I tend only to use that for catch ups.
Airable.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heard the flipping announcement about discontinued services imminent again at the weekend while listening to BBC Radio 3 via Airable. Thought I’d write to Linn direct, and here is what the ever helpful Colin wrote in reply:-

We will be working with Airable and the BBC to ensure that we maintain the BBC stations through the Airable radio service.

You will not need to do anything as long as you use Airable on your DS/DSM. Please see https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Airable

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have heard this warning on my Cambridge CXNv2 when listening to Radio 3 at the weekend. CA are looking into this but it’s strange because the CXNv2 should be picking up the HLS or DASH-MPEG streams. I’m wondering if it was broadcast on the wrong stream by the BBC.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have heard this warning on my Cambridge CXNv2 when listening to Radio 3 at the weekend. CA are looking into this but it’s strange because the CXNv2 should be picking up the HLS or DASH-MPEG streams. I’m wondering if it was broadcast on the wrong stream by the BBC.
Gosh, that never occurred to me. I must admit I struggle to grasp where the stream actually comes from and how’s its configured. With the services like TuneIn, then there’s DAB, then Freeview TV, then BBC Sounds, etc!

I still think Radio 3 is on 91.3 because I grew up listening to FM from the Wrotham transmitter!

Make it SO

Make it SO
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
North Devon
AKA
Jean-Luc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get the same announcement listening via BubbleDS on an Auralic streamer that references either VTuner or TuneIn. Tried emailing Auralic but got a hopeless response along the lines of 'its nothing to do with us.' Tried a recommended HLS url, http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/liv...lcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8 but that doesn't work as I just get the message, " cannot play - not a music item." I'm completely stumped. Are there any other Auralic users out there who are facing this same problem?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get the same announcement listening via BubbleDS on an Auralic streamer that references either VTuner or TuneIn. Tried emailing Auralic but got a hopeless response along the lines of 'its nothing to do with us.' Tried a recommended HLS url, http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/liv...lcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8 but that doesn't work as I just get the message, " cannot play - not a music item." I'm completely stumped. Are there any other Auralic users out there who are facing this same problem?
There probably they are, but this would be better as a new post in “2 channel“ as I doubt many Auralic users read this thread in the Linn section

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An update here, as I may inadvertently have been listening on TuneIn when I posted above on 14th Feb.

Today, while idly looking through my Linn web ’manage systems’ settings I saw my ‘radio preset provider’ was still aligned to the old TuneIn, not the newer Airable. Have changed it over and maybe the announcements will cease?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online