Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
Winchester, Hants
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ian has just taken my LP off the turntable!

I can see the headlines now, “George McCrae pulled off at Beckenham Bake-Off!

Attachments

• IMG_3293.jpeg
    IMG_3293.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3295.jpeg
    IMG_3295.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 39

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ian has just taken my LP off the turntable!

I can see the headlines now, “George McCrae pulled off at Beckenham Bake-Off!
Can you put forum names to the faces please 😛

Snoopdog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
Winchester, Hants
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The guy in the dark grey t-shirt, next to Harv, is a non-Wammer, mate of Ian’s!

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpeg
    IMG_3298.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3294.jpeg
    IMG_3294.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3292.jpeg
    IMG_3292.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: garn63

Snoopdog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
Winchester, Hants
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Ian for your hospitality and another great day on the WM’s bake-off calendar.
Good to meet up with @Jules_S @orbscure and @harv as well as meeting Ian’s non-Wammer pals, Shif and Harg (not sure of the spelling).
Some great music and a great social!

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Ian for hosting a lovely day with plenty of sunshine, chat and tunes.

Nice to catch up with Steve, Pete and Jules and Ian's work colleagues... (Kudos to Harj's mum for banging samosas) shame there weren't more of us but it left plenty of space and a chilled atmosphere

Ian's system was singing nicely and a sick cd player meant I spent a bit more time in the play room early in the day and he was kindly obliging to let me stick in my amps later on even though it was a bit of a faff but a sweet sound (imo)

As always came away with few musical things to track down 👍

Will look forward to the next one :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: orbscure

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ll simply echo Harv’s comments… it was another great day spent at Ian’s, so thanks for the hospitality, chat and tunes fellas… given the catchment area and access, it’s a shame more don’t come…but good to catch up with Steve and Jules, plus the non Wammers too! 😎

…and big thanks to Harv for the lift to and from 👍

Reactions: harv

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Huge thanks to you, Ian, for organising a great day yesterday. Sorting out all the logistics for a bake-off is not the work of a moment, and I'm grateful for the effort you put into it.

As has been mentioned already, it's a shame it wasn't better-attended. It meant we were a bit thin on the ground for both bodies and kit to play with, but we made the most of it and it was great as always to hear some different things. Harv's V-FET Sony was very interesting, and I felt the "playroom" system worked better when used as a power stage with the Krell acting as pre-, than using the Krell as an integrated. Bit of a "Frankenstein" system but sounded alright!

Ian's system was working well as usual, the NS-1000s doing the business and delivering an insightful and powerful but not in-yer-face sound on the front of either his own Yamaha amp combo, or Harv's Frankenstein setup. The almost non-existent gap between edge-of-speaker and edge-of-room-door still makes me wince every time someone walked in or out! And I'd have kittens at leaving a cartridge exposed to the mercy of so much free space, but then I'm a bit of a Marvin like that....

Great to catch up with everyone again and have a good chat. Part of the reason for coming along to these bake-offs is the social side of it, the opportunity to "shoot the sh*t" with people who actually understand what on earth you're going on about! (well, as much as anyone ever understands what I'm going on about) :)

Thanks to Steve for the company on the drive from the south coast up to Beckenham too

Reactions: Snoopdog and harv

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Frankenstein is definitely an odd combination of things to stick together but really does sound a bit magical certainly with the yams (albeit in a limited volume window). Not the most hifi sounding but just has a certain charm that draws you in...

Think I'll only be using it a power amp from now on 😉

Just gotta resist trying to hunt down one of bigger oomph Sony or Yamaha Vfet power amps 🤑🤐

Last edited:

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks to those who made the journey yesterday and particularly to Jules and Harv who bought kit for the 2nd room.

Lucky with the weather again especially later in the afternoon which meant a bit of chilling out in the garden.

As has already been said, room for 2 or 3 more so hopefully next year.

That frankenstein combination of amps wasn't much of a looker that's for sure (sorry Harv).

Attachments

• 20230603_190928.jpg
    20230603_190928.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles