Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a question raised by reading the manual of this amplifier . It states that the amplifier has a very sophisticated speaker protection circuit and then gives the speaker limits if used as a stereo amp then lowest is 4 ohm . However it has a feature which can switch the amps to mono and then the lowest limit is 8 ohm . Now I am looking to use these with my Quad ESL 57 which are quoted as 15 Ohm which should mean no issues . But at certain points in the CD the Quads dip down to under 1 Ohm in the treble which I am wondering if this will trip the protection circuit ? Would this happen straight away when the speakers are connected and the amps on but with no music playing , would the circuit be able to read/identify the low impedance ? I know the only real answer to this will be to get the things connected up and see which I propose to do tomorrow but anyone have any ideas on this before I try it ?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That a the plan any way Bob .But I am wondering can the amps sense things autonomously playing ?

toprepairman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2010
Surrey
AKA
Henry
The circuit automatically limits the current available when it reaches a certain level.
Although it can double (nearly) the power available into 8 Ohms, it won't go any lower, so into lower impedances you get no extra power. In fact the situation is worse as the distortion level goes higher.

Reactions: rabski

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles