Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a CDT3 for some years. It was very reliable, never missing a beat! Same can be said for the transport in my current CD 2.1 x/11 player.

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How are you getting on? How does it compare to your previous amp?

Hmm, where to start...

The amp itself is fantastic, the phono stage is definitely better than the one in my Oto Sig, it's seems to reduce groove noise whilst letting the music just sound absolutely absorbing. It has better control over the bass and seems to go deeper. The highs are effortless.
It's everything @rabski said in his review, I loved it and would be ordering one soon.

But..

The problem is, I listened briefly to a Tomei Kensai with E Spe he speakers not long before and that has had a profound effect on me, it was just completely jaw dropping. Unfortunately I can't afford one but I'm now considering trying a Jinro (also 211) to see how close I can get to the Tomei sound. If it's what I'm hoping, it'll end up changing my game plan and means being patient.

I'm tempted to go either M3 riaa > Jinro > E Spe he.

Or

M3 phono > Jinro Schochu > An E Spe He.

This is not good for my bank account.

The Meishu is fantastic though and if sanity prevails, I have no doubt I'll own one by Autumn.

Last edited:

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saying all of that, going back to the Oto Sig was ok and I'm still really happy with it, so that says a lot about how good it is.

The other option would be to stick with it, buy the speakers, get an Io1 and sut and buy more vinyl.

Reactions: DomT

RICHARDIIII

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2010
York
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, where to start...

The amp itself is fantastic, the phono stage is definitely better than the one in my Oto Sig, it's seems to reduce groove noise whilst letting the music just sound absolutely absorbing. It has better control over the bass and seems to go deeper. The highs are effortless.
It's everything @rabski said in his review, I loved it and would be ordering one soon.

But..

The problem is, I listened briefly to a Tomei Kensai with E Spe he speakers not long before and that has had a profound effect on me, it was just completely jaw dropping. Unfortunately I can't afford one but I'm now considering trying a Jinro (also 211) to see how close I can get to the Tomei sound. If it's what I'm hoping, it'll end up changing my game plan and means being patient.

I'm tempted to go either M3 riaa > Jinro > E Spe he.

Or

M3 phono > Jinro Schochu > An E Spe He.

This is not good for my bank account.

The Meishu is fantastic though and if sanity prevails, I have no doubt I'll own one by Autumn.
Not a Jinro integrated? It looks like they are a similar price to a Meishu Silver Sig?

I would like to think that something like that will be my final amp in around 10 yrs time.

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not a Jinro integrated? It looks like they are a similar price to a Meishu Silver Sig?

I would like to think that something like that will be my final amp in around 10 yrs time.

It's integrated but still needs a phono stage.

The power amp version would be cheaper initially but also allow an upgrade to maybe an M5 pre if I win the lottery

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So many options :ROFLMAO:

If vinyl is your primary source, then I'd have to say that an Io is likely to be a serious step up from the IQ. Unfortunately though, to get that uplift, the SUT is crucial and far from pocket money...

Reactions: brymac

ROOG

Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
Any users of Audio Note DACs here?
I have one in my headphone system, fits in very nicely with my Stax Headphones and energiser.
The head phone system doesn't get as much use since we went detached. :0)

RICHARDIIII

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2010
York
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one in my headphone system, fits in very nicely with my Stax Headphones and energiser.
Sounds like you might be selling a DAC?

Reactions: ROOG

ROOG

Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
I am terrible for buying stuff, using it then putting it in a box under the bed. That happened in a big way when we moved house a few years ago, the stereo has come alive since, because I can now play it without thinking of upsetting my neighbors. (I don't have any within earshot of full blast!)

Moving to a detached property is the best HiFi upgrade.

As you say I could/should sell some of my stuff, I was going to say 'old stuff' but much of it is fairly new :0)

Anyone interested in a cute little Audio Note DAC One?

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So many options :ROFLMAO:

If vinyl is your primary source, then I'd have to say that an Io is likely to be a serious step up from the IQ. Unfortunately though, to get that uplift, the SUT is crucial and far from pocket money...
I'm at the point in the AN hierarchy where whichever way I go, it's going to start getting expensive so time for serious thinking.
I bought around 100 albums last year, mostly second hand and I can see a similar pattern emerging this year so the Io wouldn't be wasted.
I just need to make a dent in my backlog of work and earn some money 😄

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saying all of that, going back to the Oto Sig was ok and I'm still really happy with it, so that says a lot about how good it is.

The other option would be to stick with it, buy the speakers, get an Io1 and sut and buy more vinyl.
This is exactly what I would do in your position - I am the very happy owner of a pair of AN-E SPe HE - upping the quality of the transducers at both ends of the chain is definitely going to give you the biggest gains IMO 👍

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is exactly what I would do in your position - I am the very happy owner of a pair of AN-E SPe HE - upping the quality of the transducers at both ends of the chain is definitely going to give you the biggest gains IMO 👍
I don't disagree. But playing devil's advocate, it's not quite so clear cut when you look at (or rather, listen to) a Meishu and realise how much difference it can make.

That, of course, does lead to an alternative halfway house suggestion: Meishu plus a relatively serious MC cartridge from outside of the AN range. You'll still need a step-up or head amp, but most 'normal' MCs will want to play with a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio and the shopping basket won't need quite as much pound power as for the Io.

Reactions: BettisDad

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's been a feeling all along.

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have dac 2.1x, by far the best dac I have owned, and I have had a few

Reactions: ROOG and DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't disagree. But playing devil's advocate, it's not quite so clear cut when you look at (or rather, listen to) a Meishu and realise how much difference it can make.

That, of course, does lead to an alternative halfway house suggestion: Meishu plus a relatively serious MC cartridge from outside of the AN range. You'll still need a step-up or head amp, but most 'normal' MCs will want to play with a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio and the shopping basket won't need quite as much pound power as for the Io.
This is true however I bought a secondhand IO on here a couple of years ago with an ANS2 for a very reasonable price. AN serviced the IO because of a suspension problem and it was about £150 for the service. AN IO is incredible value if you can buy secondhand and get AN to service it for you. A full refurb I believe is £800 and that is a very low percentage against retail as other manufacturers doing trade-ins only give about a 10-20% discount. So long term it works out very well.

I take the point about needing a good SUT. Mine sounds fine with the ANS2 and I don’t want to find out how much better a higher level AN SUT will be 🤣

Reactions: BettisDad

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I would be inclined to agree. I found that I always enjoy an Audio Note system regardless of the components. Transducers are where it is at for me although I admit that going back to Audio Research amps after many years with a really good Marantz PM11S2 showed me how much of a difference a great amp can make. But even so transducers and crate digging for LPs!!! Best of luck. Happy problem to solve with no downsides apart from money!

Reactions: BettisDad and robin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online