Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2015
Twyford, Berkshire, UK.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
System is a Naim Atom HE and Teac T1 CD transport with the Trichord four mod including power supply. I still love my CD's as well as Qobuz. I use Sonos for the TV. I also have a Naim QB in the kitchen.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nopiano

Patu

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2019
Finland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The top end mainly, much sweeter. And the Bass starts and stops on a pinhead where the 40's were a little bloated and less tuneful. That SL bass/Midrange is very special! Then there is the real wood finish and proper grills...but of course, they do cost a lot more.
Congratulations on the 20's, they look gorgeus! Simple and beautiful setup.

About the bass. 40A's, being a three-way design with bigger bass element, play lower so they will always sound slightly slower than 20's. It was similar effect with 19A vs 40A. Obviously 20's also have the higher spec drivers so that makes a difference too.

Reactions: jukemark

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am going for a demo at a dealers of a pair of SCM 40's... anything I should ask about as they will prob be driven by a Rega amp (I have PS Audio M700 mono's) IF I like them can listen to a friends pair with a Vincent amp and the same TQ cable as I have (jumpers) and Gaia feet?
Thank you

Leeken

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
that will be a given, as I am a tad mobility disabled it will be a priority and spending 4K on any speaker would necessitate one
One thing I would say,they aren’t the easiest to move around even if you have good mobility,mainly due to the lack of port (which is probably why they sound so good)
Getting them out of the box was a experience like no other I’ve ever had!

Reactions: MartinC

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One thing I would say,they aren’t the easiest to move around even if you have good mobility,mainly due to the lack of port (which is probably why they sound so good)
Getting them out of the box was an experience like no other I’ve ever had!
I found it ok if you take it steadily. But they aren’t the size for grabbing and chucking, are they?! :)

It’s more about removing the box from the speaker, than removing the speaker from the box, if you see what I mean.

Reactions: Leeken

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Getting them out of the box was a experience like no other I’ve ever had!
I will have a young strapping 30 yr old to help me, if I decide to go with them....(partners son)

Reactions: Leeken

Leeken

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We ended up with 3 of us to get them out of the box,now granted two of them are millennials,but one of them is a talented kick boxer,and I’m a 49 yr old slugger of a kick boxer who is still desperately trying to recapture his youth 🤣 The thought of getting them back in the box fills me with dread,good job they’re probably my final speaker (unless I build the extension and get some 100s and use these as the rears🤔

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone here manage to pick up the 100 actives recently on a well known website £3900..or were they 50s. Anyhoo, they were 30 years old and looked the business. Skipton if i recall correctly.

stevebrown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2016
Hi has anyone done a passive to active update ?
If so what did it cost , how long did it take and are you happy ?

stevebrown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2016
Does anyone know if the innards, amp packs, crossovers etc would be the same for an active 150 as they would be in a 50 or 100 active ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles