Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
being a bit thick i thought i was doomed to the BFA plugs with a75 which feel a bit wobbly to me and only take 2mm cables . just realised they take spades as well so can try some nice 6mm van damme which i rather like with other amps .

shug4476

New Wammer
Aug 16, 2020
Great thread. I run an Arcam AV9, P7, C31, CD93T, DV139 and I have just today acquired an FMJ T31 tuner. The only missing piece is the P1 monobloc which I have been after for a while. I may also add the D33 which I have long coveted.

Reactions: hifinutt

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
great . yes i had the c31 congrats on the FM31 . i watch out for p1 monoblock but very rare these days . over past 3 weeks i have been playing the A75 into the horns and been tinkering with it . At one point there was a teeny bit of hardness on some vocals so i changed the dac to the highly modded black ice dac . also found chord oddy cables maybe a bit harder than the van damme 2.5

then popped a high power audioquest power cable on and changed the tacima powerblock for a heretic audio star earthed mains block . got isopucts pro underneath itha a75

now it sounds with the horns absolutely marvellous . any hardness has gone and its imaging is above average considering its just a modest integrated . extremely good sound which just gets your toes tapping . very smooth with vocals and pretty good bass . the bass is not as good as a sugden a21se but its more gentle which i prefer and suits the impulse taus better . probably one of the best sounds i have achieved barring amps costing way more than have been used like silbatone and moonriver

stangely i have always wanted to try prima luna and a nice one popped up a couple of miles away . however this current set up is so good at the moment that i wont be getting the prima luna

Reactions: shug4476 and deggie

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm exhibiting at the Wam Show in October, with vintage Tannoy Devons, pimped Quad 44/405-2/FM4 and pimped Thorens TD150 II.

I needed a digital source, considered and then rejected the idea of using my Node 2i streamer and its so-so internal DAC... poked around a close-to-contemporary Arcam Delta 70.3... and then grabbed a steal of a CD92 (with remote) which was my first ever Arcam CDP many years ago and which blew me away with its wonderfully musical dCS RingDAC. Plan is to sell the whole (ahem) system at or after the show, but suspect the CD92 is staying right here.

Bring your favourite CD's to Stoke!

1655923127915.png

Reactions: hifinutt

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
fab , hope it goes well . I am getting super results using a bel canto c5i as a pre amp into an arcam a85 as a power amp . sounds excellent and very very enjoyable . remain a huge fan of arcam stuff

Gonepostal

Wammer
Aug 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now that's a long thread. Haven't read it all but what's the general feelings on the FMJ A29. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade on the quad Vena or a mere sideways step.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now that's a long thread. Haven't read it all but what's the general feelings on the FMJ A29. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade on the quad Vena or a mere sideways step.
Had three. All broke and went back for repair. Repeating issue with rails and sound distortion. Common issue - Google it.

My thoughts would be to spend more and buy an A39... A very good amp, imo... Could have easily kept this one for many years.

The jump is substantial.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
had a visitor yesterday who was rather blown away by the sound of arcam with my horns !! very surprised . arcam can still impress

Reluctant

Wammer
Dec 23, 2022
Bracknell, Berkshire. And often in Bristol too.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Owned a few bits in the last year or so; Azur CD 50, CD72, an FMJ A18 and a Solo. All a bit hard sounding for my tastes and probably won't buy any more Arcam stuff. The Solo sounded pretty good and a usefully compact thing. But operation was slow, erratic and drove me nuts!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tend to agree ~ had an A18 for a while and we didn't really get on. Always felt like it was trying too hard.
Not heard tge A18, .I don't think. Demo'ed the A19, did not like it at all, sounded sterile and processed, not like earlier Arcams. I thought the Creek 50A was far better.

Reactions: Reluctant

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The arcam a85 as a power amp with a pre amp has been superb . Listening to it now with a better pre amp . If i could i would get an a38 . Never had any trouble with the many arcam i have had

Reactions: Reluctant

E600

Wammer
Jan 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had MA bronze 6 s for some years, very pleased with them, although now significantly upgraded beyond MA range…

E600

Wammer
Jan 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, as talking Arcam, had the d 290 and 290P for years and they were superb, until someone decided to move them, not reconnect the speaker cables and switched on thus terminally blowing the amps….at the time Arcam customer service was zero, so really difficult to fix, so sadly gone.

replaced by A19, budget at the time limited, which was a really good amp, and still is, although now substantially upgraded and weaned off Arcam….

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seeing a lot of big discounts on Arcam two channel gear at the moment, noted as "clearance". A number of items from the current series apparently out of stock on not shown on retailers websites. The display at Bristol was all multi-channel. Any word on a replacement two channel range from Arcam to appear soon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles