Anyone experienced an Ekstatik failing?

jororupp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A short update to my recent 'Ekstatik problem':

My dealer couldn't take my Ekstatik directly to Linn, when he went to Glasgow in March. He was told to follow the official Linn warranty process. So, my Ekstatik is still somewhere in orbit between Glasgow, Switzerland and Germany for two month now.
To ease my 'pain' my dealer fortunately re-installed my former Kandid, so I can still play my records for the repair time.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

My dealer couldn't take my Ekstatik directly to Linn, when he went to Glasgow in March. He was told to follow the official Linn warranty process. So, my Ekstatik is still somewhere in orbit between Glasgow, Switzerland and Germany for two month now.
To ease my 'pain' my dealer fortunately re-installed my former Kandid, so I can still play my records for the repair time.
You must raging what a buck pass I feel sorry for you.
I’d be livid.:mad:

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't be happy with this arrangement either. Given this seems to be a known problem with a small minority of Ekstatiks which fail in the same way, I would expect immediate replacement (at dealer's discretion). If there's a long wait for a new Ekstatik anyway, that's another matter.

jororupp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The question seems to be for the providers: is it really a case of warranty or did the customer (me) cause the damage? I'm absolutely sure that it was not my fault but I can't prove it...
Anyway, its nine weeks now that I've dropped my Ekstatik at my dealer, a lot of time to solve this problem TMO.

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The question seems to be for the providers: is it really a case of warranty or did the customer (me) cause the damage? I'm absolutely sure that it was not my fault but I can't prove it...
Anyway, its nine weeks now that I've dropped my Ekstatik at my dealer, a lot of time to solve this problem TMO.
As the Ekstatik was less than 6 months old, under European (Union) consumer laws it would be the dealer's obligation to prove that it was not faulty from the beginning, which is of course nearly impossible. And you would be legally entitled to a replacement or full refund if a repair cannot be done in reasonable time. This is an affair solely between you and the dealer; the manufacturer is not involved, and it has nothing to do with manufacturer's warranty (which may offer additional benefits or extend past the 6 months).

But then I don't know which country you are in... or the dealer.

Colinjg

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2016
South Midlands.
AKA
Walter Fagen.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Such generosity.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any dealer can 'suggest' or 'offer', but no dealer or manufacturer is immune from consumer legislation. Something less than a month old and acknowledged as faulty really should not involve any question whatsoever, other than whether the customer would like a full refund or a new replacement.

Regardless of the manufacturer's warranty, the seller is liable here. Certainly under UK law and AFAIK, also under EU law.

I have to say that if this was my purchase, I would be getting more than a little vocal at this point.

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know one thing for certain, after reading this thread I will never even consider buying a ' Linn ' cartridge.

Cheers Ady

Reactions: llatpoh

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good products are frequently let down by poor dealer/manufacturer service and support. For example, my Hyundai Ioniq hybrid recently had a "Check Engine Light" come on - the manual says take it to your dealer immediately. Well, I call the dealer and they say the first appointment we have is 8 weeks from now! This isn't the first time the dealership network has failed miserably. I love the Ioniq but I'm afraid I won't be buying another Hyundai because of this experience.

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I know one thing for certain, after reading this thread I will never even consider buying a ' Linn ' cartridge.

Cheers Ady
I think that's a little drastic. I've had a Krystal for many years and it's been the best cartridge I've ever owned (though that model had cantilever issues that may have been due to liquid stylus cleaners.) Most people on this forum have nothing but longtime admiration for their Linn cartridges (I bet more Kandids than anything else.). The more troubling aspect of this whole Ekstatik thing, is this dealer's really shitty customer service. That is inexcusable and Linn should not be happy with how this customer was treated.

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that's a little drastic. I've had a Krystal for many years and it's been the best cartridge I've ever owned (though that model had cantilever issues that may have been due to liquid stylus cleaners.) Most people on this forum have nothing but longtime admiration for their Linn cartridges (I bet more Kandids than anything else.). The more troubling aspect of this whole Ekstatik thing, is this dealer's really shitty customer service. That is inexcusable and Linn should not be happy with how this customer was treated.
Well, each to their own, it's not drastic for me as there are plenty of other manufacturers out there.
Cheers Ady

Reactions: llatpoh and Wenge1

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Well, each to their own, it's not drastic for me as there are plenty of other manufacturers out there.
Cheers Ady
And to be fair, I don't think I've read anyone on this forum describe a problem they've had with a Lyra, Dynavector, Koetsu, AT, etc.

Reactions: Ady

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As much as I love the sound of my Ekstatik, I too would be reluctant to stick with the brand if it failed. Especially if the follow up service failed also.

• Upvote
Reactions: Ady and Wenge1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles