Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ll be watching the Tommy Makinson testimonial in about half an hour.

Interested to get a first look at Saints new signings for the season ahead.

Anyone else exited for the impending start of Super League? It feels like forever since the grand final.

Perfectly content if I’m by myself with this  :p , but would be interested to know if there are any like minded souls. 

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not a rugby fan but there was a time when I watched RL regular when it was broadcast live on Saturdays , names I recall are Joe Lydon , Alex Murphy , Ellery Handley , Shaun Edwards . A later memory is when an all conquering Wigan team played an Australian team for the World Cup and lost 64-0 , I think that may have been a watershed moment for English Rugby League .

Reactions: MVJ

lower bullens

NSNO Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Wirral
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I watch every now and again, keep an eye on Saints results as I met a few of them when I was working. James Graham is a good Evertonian.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I watch all forms of rugby if it's on the telly usually it's the latter stages of the Challenge Cup these days and and 45 minutes of highlights of Super League games if your lucky on the bbc. The union Premiership is'nt much better with an hour on a Monday night of the highlights on ch5.  It also looks like the Six Nations has been sold to a billion £ media company so will soon be behind a pay per view next year🤬

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not a rugby fan but there was a time when I watched RL regular when it was broadcast live on Saturdays , names I recall are Joe Lydon , Alex Murphy , Ellery Handley , Shaun Edwards . A later memory is when an all conquering Wigan team played an Australian team for the World Cup and lost 64-0 , I think that may have been a watershed moment for English Rugby League .
Martin Offiah was another magic player & Jason Robinson tbh there have been many 👍

Reactions: Bazzer

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes remember them both , Jason a quick winger ?
He was very quick and really hard to stop and he was in the team that won the Rugby World Cup in Australia in 2003. Martin was no slouch either but stayed faithful to league.

Last edited by a moderator:

b1u3print

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK 

Not exactly found anyone to discuss upcoming season with, as yet, but it’s good to know that there are people who enjoy the game  :^  

Thanks for your comments gents. 

Sounds as though it’s inaccessibility on Sky Sports is a major factor in the lack of regular viewing.

I’m a complete loon who pays for Sky Sports (via Virgin Media) and has no interest in football, which no doubt accounts for the majority of the price. 

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have always said that I would never subscribe to Sky or any of the other ppv providers and if it any sport I like/watch sells out to them then so be it. I will watch whatever is shown on normal tv channels be that highlights or full coverage and make do with that.

b1u3print

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t have an issue paying for Sky Sports, it’s worth about £40 million per year to Rugby League and I think some clubs would struggle to stay afloat without the money it brings. 

What I do object to however is Sky Box Office - it makes my blood boil that I’m paying a small fortune each year for the sports package and they want £25 (ish) on top of that for any big event. 

I’ll find it difficult not to shell out for Fury / Joshua though  >:(  and therein lies the problem - if people are willing to pay it they’ll charge it. 

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thats what they rely on Matt👍  I can afford to pay for it but just not prepared too :nup:

b1u3print

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Leeds v Saints in the Challenge Cup this afternoon if anyone’s interested... 

14:30 kick off and it’s live on the BBC. 

Leeds to be fair with quite a few first team players missing through injury, but it’s always a good game when the two teams meet, certainly not writing them off. 

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Leeds v Saints in the Challenge Cup this afternoon if anyone’s interested... 

14:30 kick off and it’s live on the BBC. 

Leeds to be fair with quite a few first team players missing through injury, but it’s always a good game when the two teams meet, certainly not writing them off. 
Yeah I'll be cheering Leeds on but they are the underdogs for sure 👍 Dragons v Wakefield on on BBC2 at 4:30 ko 5pm should be a good one too🤔

b1u3print

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wakefield have been a bit disappointing for me so far this season (only two games in admittedly), but knock out rugby is always a completely different game, be interesting to see what they bring. 

Catalans on the other hand have certainly looked good in patches - Tomkins involved in virtually everything good that they have done so far.

I have a feeling that beer o’clock could be quite early today  :pint:

• Upvote

b1u3print

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Blimey - what year was that?

Fairly certain Liverpool City (under a different name - they had many) called it a day sometime in the 90’s 

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Blimey - what year was that?

Fairly certain Liverpool City (under a different name - they had many) called it a day sometime in the 90’s 
attachment.php

Late 50's I think. I was just a kid at the time. Used to go with my older brother.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn't Liverpool RLFC become Huyton RLFC in the 60's?

I remember my team Salford RLFC playing Huyton in the 60's. I started going to Salford's ground (The Willows) as a young kid mid 60's just as Salford's renaissance started under chairman Brian Snape.  We started buying some quality players, and I was one of the 13000 packed into The Willows in 67 when new glamour signing David Watkins made his debut after his world record signing from Newport RU. What a night, it was brilliant with Dai Watkins scoring a length of the field try against Oldham. He became and still remains to this day my favourite player, a real star and legend of both codes. Late 60's/early 70's we were the glamour club with all the money and signed some brilliant players though the trophies won didn't match the expenditure unfortunately. We were the team everyone wanted to beat. I used to go home and away in those days, and I can tell you it was pretty rough going to some of those Yorkshire grounds back in the 70's, hooliganism wasn't the sole domain of football back then. Ran for my life in Featherstone, got battered in Castleford, etc.  :(

I recall back then that if you played rugby union and then played league then you were blackballed from the union game, a pariah.  Union trialists would often turn out under the name A.N.Other. 

A stroll down to the Willows was only 10 minutes so used to go all the time, but once they moved to the AJ Bell the other side of the M60, and a pain in the arse to get to, a few years back I packed it all in.  Still watch it on the TV if it's on the BBC as I don't pay for Sky Sports anymore. The modern game is a bit too formulaic these days, normally 4 or 5 drives followed by a kick. It's too predictable and governed by game plans in my opinion, I hanker for the good old days of biff and bash from the 70's  :D

b1u3print

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amazing regarding both posts and both well before my time.

Despite the proximity to the M62, Liverpool never fully embraced Rugby League - never understood why.

DIB I can certainly associate with missing the “biff and bash” from the game. The occasional mass brawl was always something to be savoured in the past 🥊 

You still see the occasional punch up in the NRL, but it’s something that is punished considerably more heavily over here. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles