Amazon Prime not on a PC/Tablet or Phone ?

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I have had several free offers for Amazon Prime and have used it for the free/next day delivery which seems to be very good. However in May its "crunch" time to pay for the service. Obviously £75 is not VFM for just the postal service, and any Movie watching normally comes via Virgin Tivo service. I see Prime offer a music service, which I believe excludes some artist and not sure of bit rates or file format ?

Apart from a PC/Tablet/Phone is there any other device which can connect to prime like a Streamer with Decent Display (HDMI out) or DVD/Blueray player ?

Or if I did use an Adroid Tablet/Phone how could I get the Audio into the hifi (Bluetooth I guess) what device/app would I need ?

Something like this ? http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rSeries,Wireless-DACs,rBlink.htm

I have tried Spotify Premium via my Tivo Box and Qubuz via the cocktail audio X30 but was not happy with the price or menu structure when not using a PC or Tablet.

In which case I could be tempted to pay the subs.

Regards

Alan

seanm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2015
Firestick through TV? Can't see that being easier than a tablet though.

The choice is very limited compared to other services: you'll always be able to find something to listen to, but if you go looking for something in particular you're more than likely to be disappointed.

G

I use amazon a lot so prime for postage works out pretty good for me plus you get prime video and prime music to boot . Any musical purchases are stored in cloud too . I dont use the search facility that much so cant comment on that

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use amazon a lot so prime for postage works out pretty good for me plus you get prime video and prime music to boot . Any musical purchases are stored in cloud too . I dont use the search facility that much so cant comment on that
This is us as well, I see the music as a bonus, although you can't use it through a streamer. The movies are good, we access them directly through our 'smart' TV. We watch more movies through Prime than we do through our VM Tivo

M

munch

Apple products using Airplay via Apple TV digital out into Amp/ DAC or Streamer box using tv screen.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
The movies are good, we access them directly through our 'smart' TV. We watch more movies through Prime than we do through our VM Tivo
We're the same. There are a lot of foreign arty movies if that floats your boat, as well as some great comedy series. Like Simon we use this more than the TIVO option we have

M

munch

The amazon Fire stick is a handy device to use around the home in different TVs and if you travel its easy to take with you.

Humpty was pushed

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ditched Amazon Prime a few weeks ago - I was using it for the postage element, but increasingly finding that the "Prime" suppliers were charging a lot more than other "Marketplace" suppliers for the same item, so was effectively paying twice.

Not sure if "Fire" is worthwhile, I'm still finding plenty to watch on Netflix.

epistaxsis

not enough bass
Wammer
May 24, 2011
London
AKA
Keith Dunlop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a fire TV.

It has the added benefits of wired ethernet and TOSlink for the audio (lacks a bit down below but is generally OK)

M

munch

I use a fire TV.It has the added benefits of wired ethernet and TOSlink for the audio (lacks a bit down below but is generally OK)
Do you use the voice activation with your fire tv?

G

I've got the older fire tv with optical and used the voice recognition quite a lot for movie searches etc and found it to be very good, then again I'm a well spoken southerner so not sure how well it would handle those funny accents up north :)

M

munch

I've got the older fire tv with optical and used the voice recognition quite a lot for movie searches etc and found it to be very good, then again I'm a well spoken southerner so not sure how well it would handle those funny accents up north :)
That made me laugh.I thought Polish was the first language now in Soufhampton .

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of Poland is further north than Southampton? Maybe Polski folks see it as a Mediterranean resort?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

mudds

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2016
Leicester
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use prime music with my phone/ tablet at home and have a pure Jongo A2 for bluetooth transport connected to my amp... Best 20 quid Ive spent in a long time. Must admit I bought my prime membership when it was discounted before Christmas. I do think prime eligible items are more expensive than the marketplace too. There are other less ethical ways to get discounted membership (student membership) if you are so inclined. As always google is your friend.

epistaxsis

not enough bass
Wammer
May 24, 2011
London
AKA
Keith Dunlop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bugger! I hadn't spotted that. :(

The 4k fire TV looks like it's HDMI only which drastically limits DAC choice... :x

bluedroog

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2012
London
Why not take sound via hdmi to TV then optical out to DAC from there? I'm unsure on the technicalities of whether that round degrade the sound, works ok for me via laptop but just for films.

I'd suggest the Amazon 4K TV, the quad processing is suppose to be much better than the stick and is £65 most places at the moment.

Do yourself a favour and download Kodi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online