Linn Owners

Am I the only one experiencing a big increase in Qobuz dropouts?

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, I changed it on my EE Brightbox. It’s in the “Advanced” section.

One thing I haven’t investigated is the Quality of Service settings…

‘troll
OK, but can't do that on the BT homehub. You can the BT smart hub, which I think for businesses?

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies. Mine's a BT Router and BT is ISP. I do have it installed as a business level account but am not sure if it is Homehub or Smart Hub - I'll have to take a look. It is an annoyingly sporadic issue that has only manifested itself over the last week or so - and nothing has changed regarding ISP. Working fine today - but on Friday it was at its most annoying. Fortunately I don't rely on a streaming service and so switching sources isn't a big issue. Although I may not rely on it, I do use it quite often and so am just hoping at the moment that it sorts itself out.

Geoff_UK

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm noticing a massive increase in Qobuz dropouts - almost like a buffering effect. It has ramped up over the last 7 to 10 days. Anyone else experiencing this?
I have noticed this, but put it down to a change in my internet package and it settling down - very anoying.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I advocate never using whatever the carrier supplies you for anything other than getting the Internet to your (own) network. They are usually junk, having weak radios, and limited functionality of network management.

When you run your own network you are your own best friend, but also your own worst enemy, but at least you are your own tech support, so have no one to blame.

Whenever my router dies, I do a deep dive on who is best at that time, and for the last fifteen years Asus has had the best consumer grade equipment hands down. They always rank at or near the top of the charts in radio strength. More importantly, they have the best software suite for granular network device setup, and a really great firewall.

There are now three bands of spectrum available in wifi. Does your carrier thingamajig offer them? In a large house, with limited ability to run Ethernet cable, you can deploy bandwidth that was unheard about just a few years ago wirelessly over a large property that will allow a few 4K video streams.

The biggest advantage of running your own network shows itself in the OP issues. Comments here point to issues around DNS. This is easily configured in your own network.

Another great argument for running your own network is if you change ISP, you don't have to completely rebuild your network using yet another crappy carrier supplied modem/router. You just plug in the new carriers modem and you're all set downstream, as nothing has changed. Recently the carrier modem wall wart power supply died (with what I discovered was also eventually a fatal spike that foreshortened my Asus power supply and motherboard). I was able to connect my phone to one of my router's USB ports, and I had temporary network connectivity back up in ten minutes of fiddling around. This kept the hell hounds at bay for the two days it took for the carrier to send out a tech to replace the modem and power supply. Belt and suspenders.

I was having the router reboot itself during off hours three times a week. I now do it daily, and I've gotten slightly, but noticably, snappier performance. I also have my NAS reboot nightly. I never think about my network, except to think how flawless it is. I check for new firmware every month or so, and that's it.

This may or may not fix your Quobuz issues, but it will give you a much easier troubleshooting process, and much more flexibility implementing a fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: akamatsu

Mwwardy

New Wammer
Nov 24, 2018
I too have experienced Qobuz dropouts (every couple of hours) in the last 6 months or so using my Akurate DSM. Nothing has changed at my end and it used to run perfectly. Tidal works fine. Indeed everything else in the house connected to the internet works fine, including UHD video streaming. I have talked with Qobuz about this but, although very polite, they ended up saying it must be a Linn issue. They asked if I could stream Qobuz on other devices as a test and I can stream to my iPad using their app with no dropouts. But I’m not sure that is comparing like with like. So my summation is it used to work, now it doesn’t, something must have changed somewhere but having got nowhere with Qobuz help I feel the only option is to move to Tidal.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was talking to my ISP's tech support the other day. He explained that there is a problem. It has something to do with malware and valid certificates that has caused legitimate companies to have to change there IPs, etc. I'm not a computer person so please don't rely on my explanation. This problem cropped up around November, 2022, about six or so months ago. Hmmm. I've been shoring up my internet service. A few days ago I exchanged my modem. This has helped a lot. Qobuz is running smoothly now. Tech support also recommended a UPS/surge protector. Mine will arrive today. My point is in order to address Qobuz issues, focus on your internet service. It's not a Qobuz nor a Linn problem.

Reactions: Roonster111

pdcman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2020
Drop outs here to this week, only in the evenings. Might be a Qobuz bandwidth issue. My internet connection is 900mb, and no problems with anything else. Tidal and internet radio are fine.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Drop outs here to this week, only in the evenings. Might be a Qobuz bandwidth issue. My internet connection is 900mb, and no problems with anything else. Tidal and internet radio are fine.
Same here. I've never had any problems with Tidal. Qobuz seems to be more sensitive to latency and connection to server issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles