Linn Owners

Am I the only one experiencing a big increase in Qobuz dropouts?

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm noticing a massive increase in Qobuz dropouts - almost like a buffering effect. It has ramped up over the last 7 to 10 days. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: Mwwardy

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haven’t experienced any dropouts with Qobuz in that period. Have you changed your DNS settings or ISP?

’troll

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Qobuz has been behaving pretty well for me lately. But when I use the Linn app on my iPhone, It seems to take forever for Qobuz info to load up, whereas Tidal is ready and waiting to be played.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just had a few dropouts tonight; first time for a few months. Had assumed it was our local broadband service.

Was listening to this new release…
528EC457-6D43-4F84-83D0-D0DA10E5120A.png

Roonster111

New Wammer
Dec 30, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the last few days, I have been streaming at home (normally it's LP12).

I have Quboz too, and there was a lot of drop outs, which I found infuriating!!

I mentioned this to Lady W, who simply responded we (kids too) have been telling you to sort the internet (BT) out for months, as we're constantly buffering and rebooting.

I only stream Quboz in my office (which has business grade supply), and never experience drop outs, so I guess the issue you are having is with your ISP 🤔

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the last few days, I have been streaming at home (normally it's LP12).

I have Quboz too, and there was a lot of drop outs, which I found infuriating!!

I mentioned this to Lady W, who simply responded we (kids too) have been telling you to sort the internet (BT) out for months, as we're constantly buffering and rebooting.

I only stream Quboz in my office (which has business grade supply), and never experience drop outs, so I guess the issue you are having is with your ISP 🤔
There can be an issue with Qobuz and BT and Virgin routers, people who have changed router and then changed DNS to Google have found that solved the issue. BT router does not let you change the DNS. I had this problem with Qobuz but no problems with Tidal and Deezer.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There can be an issue with Qobuz and BT and Virgin routers, people who have changed router and then changed DNS to Google have found that solved the issue. BT router does not let you change the DNS. I had this problem with Qobuz but no problems with Tidal and Deezer.
This might explain the problems I have with Qobuz and Virgin, what's the technical reason? When I switch my phone to mobile data it's fine. It's also usually ok wired to my DS so feels like WiFi rather than further upstream.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This might explain the problems I have with Qobuz and Virgin, what's the technical reason? When I switch my phone to mobile data it's fine. It's also usually ok wired to my DS so feels like WiFi rather than further upstream.
Not sure, it could be the address changing, thereby losing the connection. It is a problem with some players such as Bluesound but not everyone is affected. This caused me loads of problems last April, I have only just found the router and DNS fix on another forum. Seems ISP DNS is not that stable.
This is not a wifi issue, I use ethernet cable to the router. I have not changed router yet as I'm on Deezer for 1 year now. A used suitable router is around £40 but may improve my internet overall.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
what's the technical reason?
Response time of the DNS being used, I believe. Each time the DS requests data from Qobuz, you have to navigate the web to get there, so your ISP goes to its DNS every time. Sometimes the process is just a little too slow and the DS buffer runs out. Whilst I have no issues with Qobuz, I’ve been plagued by dropouts with BBC radio, especially on a DS which also uses Ethernet over mains adapters. Naturally, I blamed the adapters, but my main system dropped out. I eventually switched my EE DNS to Cloudflare and problem solved. The added bonus is that websites are quicker to load, too.

’troll

Reactions: rabski

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BT router does not let you change the DNS.
Could you switch the DHCP off on the BT modem and use another device on your network for DHCP? For instance, a router behind the BT modem. BT used to have a service called something like BT Protect; apparently you couldn’t use a different DNS with this.

’troll

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could you switch the DHCP off on the BT modem and use another device on your network for DHCP? For instance, a router behind the BT modem. BT used to have a service called something like BT Protect; apparently you couldn’t use a different DNS with this.

’troll
Probably but that is beyond my technical knowledge.

Most BT, Virgin and EE routers you can't change the DNS. You need to change to either Google or Cloudflare apparently.
Anyone who has tried this says it has worked for them.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

’troll
On BT, this how you can do it:
"
  1. Turn off wireless of HH.
  2. I don't think you need to disable DHCP of HH. It will be acting just as a 1-to-1 passthrough router (if that's the right term).
  3. The other router may have its own DHCP range, completely separate from the HH.
  4. I think the default gateway of the other router would be automatically set to 192.168.1.254 upon connection.
  5. Finally, connect a LAN port of the HH to the WAN port of the other router."

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably but that is beyond my technical knowledge.

Most BT, Virgin and EE routers you can't change the DNS. You need to change to either Google or Cloudflare apparently.
Anyone who has tried this says it has worked for them.
I changed the DNS on my EE router as I mentioned above. It’s very easy.

‘troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member