Linn Owners

A preposterous tweak, Radikal 2

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To show how strange things can happen in this hobby, this might prove interesting to some folks.
A few days back, I had a minor flood in my house, and as such was utilizing a fan dryer at medium speed to assist in the drying process. The flood took place in a room that is about 25 feet from my dedicated listening room. That night, I switched to my large ss amp to listen to some new music. I had not listened to the ss amp for about two months. I thought I heard something amiss, as the amp was rhythmically humming and making some strange low level noise.
The next day, I phoned up my local tech who told me to bring the amp in for inspection, but only in a few weeks once his schedule cleared up a bit.
My dedicated room features a 20 amp dedicated circuit for the amp to run off. No other gear is run off that line. That night I again listened to the ss amp to see if the problem persisted, and this time it was its usual quiet self…no hum, no weird oscillating noise! Had a long listening session and then shut down. Next night I put on the system, and sure enough the noise is back…but why?
I went into the other room and noticed that the drying fan was on, so I turned it off..and immediately the noise from the amp ceased! So, there was a perfectly good explanation as to the problem, with the additional noise in the circuit from the fan, the amp was seeing some kind of ground loop, even though it is on its own dedicated line…BUT the other gear was not. So the feedback loop occurred through the ic’s to the amp.
KLimax Radikal has something about it that people prefer, rigidity of chassis, connection of board to chassis…but it Is something, and that something most likely has a logical explanation, like in my example here.
Davey
I'm just curious, what Linn gear do you own and enjoy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles