Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of getting a 4K projector for my music room as a large TV is not acceptable, any recommendations on which to get? Don’t need any sound as have 5.1 linn system for that.

Also do you need a screen or project on wall?

• Haha
Reactions: Sound Hound

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
Hi , if you’re going 4k i would definitely get a screen . 1.1 gain should do depending on surroundings ?
There are paint mixes that work but you won’t beat a screen .
Is the room light controlled ?

Coalboy68

Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No light controls but usually draw the curtains and listen in dark, so films would be the same

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other thing about trying to project straight on a wall is any imperfections can become visible when watching... So perfectly smooth wall is a must. We're planning on getting a screen when we move.

Have you chosen a conventional projecter or ultra short throw? What sort of size image are you going for?

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of getting a 4K projector for my music room as a large TV is not acceptable, any recommendations on which to get? Don’t need any sound as have 5.1 linn system for that.

Also do you need a screen or project on wall?
I can recommend the Samsung LSP9T as an ultra short throw. Given UST PJs are closer to a wall, there is less lost light output relative to old style PJs. Couple this with a laser engine that will be stable until you need/want to replace the PJ, and I believe UST PJs are better.

You cannot walk in front of the light beam either. And my one is bright enough that I can use in a white room during the day. I do have a grey high contrast screen, just not installed it yet.

Downsides: if opting for 120-130" image on a standard wall, the height at which the projector should sit will be lower than 25cm. This makes hifi units underneath it a problem unless you buy the expensive multi-thousand pound units designed for the purpose, or otherwise have one made bespoke. I went with the latter so the PJ can be top center shelf with a special cut-oit for the PJ light beam to go through.

A dowside specific the my PJ is it's noise reduction can actually cause noise in certain scenes, and so it's probably best to turn this to a low setting or off.

Overall, I would not go back to traditional projection.

I picked up this £3500 PJ for £2000 during a Richer Sounds flash sale, where VIP members got an extra discount. Throw in 6 year warranty and I've got no complaints. Very happy with it.

Reactions: JamieMcC

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a JVC x500 although not true 4k ( it splits the pixels ) I love it, the blacks are amazing
Prior to my Samsung LSP9T I had the JVC X55R which was great. A big behemoth though. It had 4k upsampling and e-shift, but did not handle native 4k signals. It was great. My ex got that in the divorce. I would say motion handling is more natural than the Samsung, and blacks were probably better, ot also did 3D rwally well, but on all other counts I think the Samsung wins. If cost was no object, I'd probably wait until JVC do a true 4k or 8k UST and get that. Generally one cannot fault the JVCs.

HDR10+ 4k images on the Samsung are really impressive.

Reactions: Signs

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
nice one ! , then the biggest question of all .. 2.35 or 16.9 ? lol I went 2.35

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles